AMD Radeon ProRender render engine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 06 June 2017   #61
Originally Posted by mitchino: Someone in the comments for that you tube link is saying prorender will work with the standard material system in c4d - can anyone confirm this?

That would be the best news - all I've ever wanted is an real time preview, interactive version of physical render, even standard would do.

The guy is if I am right a Maxon employee or tightly connected to them. He has a profile here if I remember correctly.

Well, that is what takes them so long I guess...integrating the new engine ino the existing C4D architecture (material system).But they say it has a new pBR workflow. Let's see how that is implemented.
A render that has reliable viewport rendering preview...that's the big chance of Prorender and what so many 3rd party eniges miss.

Old 06 June 2017   #62
Originally Posted by mitchino: Someone in the comments for that you tube link is saying prorender will work with the standard material system in c4d - can anyone confirm this?

That would be the best news - all I've ever wanted is an real time preview, interactive version of physical render, even standard would do.

yes we ported prorenders material system to our material editor. but because prorender and the PR/SR are two completly different beasts not everything in the editor can be suported for prorender. i would guess about 70% is there. the whole of the reflectance channel is suported.

there will be even a new PBR workflow for lighting and materials. there is a PBR light and material preset that will let you work with just the reflectance channel. what this means is that not only will it let you create very realistc renders it allows you to switch over to the PR if you run out of VRAM and keep working with the same PBR results. its now my workflow

Old 06 June 2017   #63
Originally Posted by sirio: Well... not at all.
A large number of software use OpenCL, including Adobe, Houdini, Nuke, Photoscan, Vray(and a few other renderer), and that's just to name the one that I use but there are many more. And Yes, many software can use OpenCL from Nvidia and AMD cards without issues, in some cases you can even use AMD+Nvidia+CPU at the same time.
Please check your fact before posting.

im sorry u are right...adobe use OpenCL also. My fault.
But u cant mix (as u said) Nvidia+AMD in one Computer. U can mix them in network ( one Pc use AMD the other Nvidia).

Old 06 June 2017   #64
Again, you can mix OpenCL from different vendors(Intel, Nvidia, AMD), all inside the same system. Not all software will be able to do this but many will.
Prorender is conceived to be platform agnostic so I will not be surprised if it will be able to use different GPUs at the same time(and even CPU). As far as I know the only requirement is that the hardware supports OpenCL 1.2.

Last edited by sirio : 06 June 2017 at 09:17 AM.

Old 06 June 2017   #65
Originally Posted by NVN: But u cant mix (as u said) Nvidia+AMD in one Computer. U can mix them in network ( one Pc use AMD the other Nvidia).

this might have been true at one point but not any more. ive been running prorender with evey possible combination of quadros, amd dual pros, GTXs, RX480s with no problems

Old 06 June 2017   #66
Originally Posted by theglenster: yes we ported prorenders material system to our material editor. but because prorender and the PR/SR are two completly different beasts not everything in the editor can be suported for prorender. i would guess about 70% is there. the whole of the reflectance channel is suported.

What's in the missing 30%? The things that are vital to me are:

Bump
Normal
Displacement
Native procedurals: noise, gradients etc
Layer shader
AO
Luminance
Subsurface Scattering
Material Stacking
Include/Exclude for lights
Include/Exclude for objects

Hoping some of these are supported!

Old 06 June 2017   #67
Originally Posted by mitchino: Hoping some of these are supported!

Bump yes
Normal yes
Displacement yes
Native procedurals: noise, gradients etc yes
Layer shader yes

AO prorender has an AO pass. ive been told its extremely difficult to get a AO shader working with prorender, so please dont hold your breath.

Luminance yes

Subsurface Scattering will come in a later release. we simply ran out of time

Material Stacking yes

Include/Exclude for objects will come in a later release. we simply ran out of time

Old 06 June 2017   #68
wow that's pretty impressive

happy with just an AO pass

If SSS is coming later that's good

object include/exclude can manage without

what about composting tag, does that work? i.e. cast shadows/seen by camera/seen by reflection etc etc?

Old 06 June 2017   #69
Originally Posted by mitchino: wow that's pretty impressive

what about composting tag, does that work? i.e. cast shadows/seen by camera/seen by reflection etc etc?

yes, that all works

Old 06 June 2017   #70
how exciting!

Old 06 June 2017   #71
Originally Posted by theglenster: Bump yes
Normal yes
Displacement yes
Native procedurals: noise, gradients etc yes
Layer shader yes

AO prorender has an AO pass. ive been told its extremely difficult to get a AO shader working with prorender, so please dont hold your breath.

Luminance yes

Subsurface Scattering will come in a later release. we simply ran out of time

Material Stacking yes

Include/Exclude for objects will come in a later release. we simply ran out of time

Nice. How about Multipass. Any implementations there?

Considering SSS: Please put forward the desire of a skin shader if possible (3 sss layers with control maps)

Old 06 June 2017   #72
Originally Posted by zeden: Nice. How about Multipass. Any implementations there?

sorry not in the first release. its a hell of alot of work so we had to decide to first concentrate on giving you everything you need to get the feel of the renderer. it will be coming though.

its importand to understand that the first version is NOT going to be a full production renderer, way to much is missing, but it will end up as one in the coming releases. we and AMD are fully behind this project

Originally Posted by zeden: Considering SSS: Please put forward the desire of a skin shader if possible (3 sss layers with control maps)

i will pass your request on to project management.

Old 06 June 2017   #73
How about utility nodes? or random variance of color materials?
Former gf: XSI

Old 06 June 2017   #74
Originally Posted by theglenster: this might have been true at one point but not any more. ive been running prorender with evey possible combination of quadros, amd dual pros, GTXs, RX480s with no problems

Well, that is just straight up cool.

Old 06 June 2017   #75
Originally Posted by theglenster: sorry not in the first release. its a hell of alot of work so we had to decide to first concentrate on giving you everything you need to get the feel of the renderer. it will be coming though.

its importand to understand that the first version is NOT going to be a full production renderer, way to much is missing, but it will end up as one in the coming releases. we and AMD are fully behind this project

Thanks for sharing some great information. A few questions (I'm still not entirely clear on how Pro Render is being integrated / bundled with C4D, please pardon me if I'm missing something obvious):

1) You mentioned earlier some PBR functionality is coming: "new PBR workflow for lighting and materials" do mean the native C4D materials and lighting system is being converted over to a PBR workflow as part of the Pro Render integration / larger development roadmap?

2) Can you clarify, when you say "coming releases" do you mean of C4D or of Pro Render? For example let's say R19 ships with the first release of Pro Render (call it 1.0)... by later releases do you mean that between R19 and R20 we might see Pro Render 1.1 and 1.2 with a couple new materials options... or do you mean no changes other than bug fixes to Pro Render 1.0 until the next major release of C4D after R19?

reply share thread