AMD Radeon ProRender render engine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 06 June 2017   #46
Originally Posted by Blinny: Repair-shop level stuff.

Funny, my brother have just replaced his drive on a 2015 5k iMac, and he can barely use a screwdriver
As far as I know you only require a small cutter and a credit card to lift the screen.
Even replacing thermal paste on CPU can be considered repair shop level stuff but this never stop me for doing so on my PCs.

Old 06 June 2017   #47
I've seen people do the same on ipads on youtube... It doesn't mean it's meant to be done.

You can't deny that it's quite scary to start cutting and unglueing stuff and messing with joints on a 5000 machine.

The taking apart is always the easiest part. Putting it back as it was before is another thing.

If you need to hack your way to upgrade it anyway (and probably void your guarantee), then by all means, why not just build a serviceable hackintosh to start with (or wait for the next Mac Pro if you can)?

Old 06 June 2017   #48
oh maaannn...Maxon is 5 years to late....as always.
ProRender will be nice....but when? When we will get all features of today-Renders.... in 3 Years?
So why should i change/switch my Render-Engine?

And.....AMD Driver Support was worst i've ever seen.

Old 06 June 2017   #49
this teardown seems to imply that the ram and processor on the new shipping versions of the iMac are in fact easily upgradable - by an experienced person (not necessarily a shop). Seems like the iMac Pro would share the same industrial design?

http://bit.ly/2sifPsg

Old 06 June 2017   #50
Originally Posted by sirio: Funny, my brother have just replaced his drive on a 2015 5k iMac, and he can barely use a screwdriver As far as I know you only require a small cutter and a credit card to lift the screen.
Even replacing thermal paste on CPU can be considered repair shop level stuff but this never stop me for doing so on my PCs.

What's easy with one is not easy with another year/model. Some of those iMac screen removal / component removal processes require the right tools, experience and knowledge of internals how to remove and put back together properly and in many cases a fair amount of time as well. We won't know with this model until it's in the wild but I'd be shocked if it was anything but complicated. Larger point: why force someone to do a computer tear-down, potentially damaging the screen or other components involved with its fit and finish (or delicate internal components), to install RAM modules? It's nuts. Build a door, give them access. The end. But we digress.

This is an AMD Pro Render thread. I think we've said all that needs ot be said about the pro-ness of various iMacs and the ease of upgrading them. Again, not denying they'd be useful machines to certain groups.

Last edited by Blinny : 06 June 2017 at 06:16 PM.

Old 06 June 2017   #51
So can I mix and match AMD and nVidia cards since this is an Open CL based render engine?

For example, if I work on the Mac in my office (AMD), could I buy en eGPU and use both to churn through an image in ProRender?

Old 06 June 2017   #52
Originally Posted by BubblegumDimension: So can I mix and match AMD and nVidia cards since this is an Open CL based render engine?

For example, if I work on the Mac in my office (AMD), could I buy en eGPU and use both to churn through an image in ProRender?

That's an interesting question. I don't know that I've encountered scenarios where both an AMD and Nvidia GPU were being utilized at the same time for the same process. In theory if both cards support the same level of OpenCL, they should be able to. Will be interesting to see.

Old 06 June 2017   #53
Originally Posted by BubblegumDimension: So can I mix and match AMD and nVidia cards since this is an Open CL based render engine?

you cant mix amd and nvidia.....u will get some driver errors.
and the joke is....all other programs and plugins use Cuda. (for example: All Adobe products, TurbulenceFD...and so on)
AMD has overslept the market....

Last edited by NVN : 06 June 2017 at 10:10 PM.

Old 06 June 2017   #54
In fairness some companies support a mix of CUDA / OpenCL / Metal. Adobe is one of those.

Old 06 June 2017   #55
This is the Cinema 4D R19 Beta with AMD Pro Render.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdRKgT8BOIg

Hrvoje at the C4D Cafe notes -

Quote: it's i7, no fancy machine not sure if it is 6 core but CPU doesn't really matter here that much. As far as I know, GPU that is used is similar to nVidia980ti, or in that range. Scene is 750K polys.

Last edited by Anthony Thorne : 06 June 2017 at 10:58 PM.

Old 06 June 2017   #56
Originally Posted by Anthony Thorne: This is the Cinema 4D R19 Beta with AMD Pro Render.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdRKgT8BOIg

Hrvoje at the C4D Cafe notes -

Thanks, looks great. I have visions of doing insane, large complex scenes, but in reality, I'm sure I'll do much simpler things as I test C4d for motion graphics.

I suspect if AMD support is solid, people like me will be OK with internal iMac hardware and an external GPU. I hope both GPUs don't have to match (for example, match on VRAM even if it's the same brand)

And I hope ProRender gets x-particles support! :-)

Old 06 June 2017   #57
An interesting find from the ifixit guys after a teardown of the latest 21" iMac. This is the least upgradeable iMac but it seems the CPU along with the RAM are not soldered on to the logic board.
iFixit Link
I wonder if that was because they had no choice or if we're going to see this trend also on the new iMac Pro as well.

Old 06 June 2017   #58
Someone in the comments for that you tube link is saying prorender will work with the standard material system in c4d - can anyone confirm this?

That would be the best news - all I've ever wanted is an real time preview, interactive version of physical render, even standard would do.

Old 06 June 2017   #59
Originally Posted by NVN: you cant mix amd and nvidia.....u will get some driver errors.
and the joke is....all other programs and plugins use Cuda. (for example: All Adobe products, TurbulenceFD...and so on)
AMD has overslept the market....

Well... not at all.
A large number of software use OpenCL, including Adobe, Houdini, Nuke, Photoscan, Vray(and a few other renderer), and that's just to name the one that I use but there are many more. And Yes, many software can use OpenCL from Nvidia and AMD cards without issues, in some cases you can even use AMD+Nvidia+CPU at the same time.
Please check your fact before posting.

Old 06 June 2017   #60
Originally Posted by BubblegumDimension: I hope both GPUs don't have to match (for example, match on VRAM even if it's the same brand)

Usually VRAM doesn't have to match but you will be limited by the smallest amount, i.e. if you have two cards one with 6GB and the other with 12 you will be able to use just 6GB. At least this is how every other render engine will work, including CPU distributed renderers(though those can swap to disk if they fill the RAM).
Both AMD and Nvidia already have or will have soon an options to add the RAM from different cards(i.e. 6GB+12GB=18GB) but actually this is supported only by superhighend/super expensive hardware, don't even know if it works on Windows and surely not on OSX.

reply share thread