AMD Radeon ProRender render engine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 06 June 2017   #31
See first page of this thread. He has some more in the meantime

Old 06 June 2017   #32
I love how aggressively AMD is pushing new CPUs and GPUs into the market. Competition is a good thing.

ProRender looks good but would be 10 times as impressive if future AMD GPUs included dedicated hardware ray tracing accelerator circuitry that really makes this render engine fly.

OTOY/Imagination seem to be taking baby steps in this direction, so why not AMD as well?

Come on AMD... you can do it!

Old 06 June 2017   #33
Well, Apple just announced a bunch of new hardware with only AMD video cards in it, so I bet Apple C4d users are excited about ProRender.

And they announced an external GPU enclosure for VR devs. Neat.

Old 06 June 2017   #34
Originally Posted by mitchino: have you got a link for the twitter feed?

here you go

https://twitter.com/the_glenster

Old 06 June 2017   #35
thanks for the info, glad to know that macOS will be included.

I don't really understand the tech behind much of this, but was wondering if I might finally see some value in the dual AMD FirePro D700s I have in my MacPro.

Will I finally use the supposed power in these cards?

Old 06 June 2017   #36
Compared to current cards the D700s is at the lower end of the spectrum. Personaly i don't know if they will work, but do not expect breathtaking performance, they are over four years old.

Old 06 June 2017   #37
Originally Posted by BubblegumDimension: Well, Apple just announced a bunch of new hardware with only AMD video cards in it, so I bet Apple C4d users are excited about ProRender.

And they announced an external GPU enclosure for VR devs. Neat.

While it's nice for ProRender users, Apple's announcement just shows more of the same cluelessness when it comes to GPUs. I know Vega is supposed to be a big deal, but regardless of how fast it is, it still doesn't support CUDA and that's what Apple fails to get —*over and over... and over. By not providing an option (even a single BTO option) they are effectively saying "screw you, we don't care if you want to use something built around CUDA. We know best."

Already talking a big game for their Vega derivative. It'll be 5-6 months from being "last year's technology" the first day iMac Pro owners have their computer, and like the GPUs in the trashcan, completely inaccessible and non-upgradable. Hell they won't even let people in to upgrade RAM in this one. heh

I was not impressed with yesterday's announcements, as far as pro stuff goes. The best things pros can take from WWDC are:

1. Apple File System should mean increased stability and performance in various contexts.

2. Metal 2 will hopfully result in some pro applications providing additional accelerated functions

3. eGPU support (they talked about this only in context of Metal 2 not hardware generally but if Metal 2 can recognize a eGPU that means the OS can. Hopefully they don't get draconian with supported cards.

4. H.265

Last edited by Blinny : 06 June 2017 at 06:31 PM.

Old 06 June 2017   #38
Originally Posted by Srek: Compared to current cards the D700s is at the lower end of the spectrum. Personaly i don't know if they will work, but do not expect breathtaking performance, they are over four years old.

Thanks - can't say I'm surprised

Old 06 June 2017   #39
Originally Posted by Srek: Compared to current cards the D700s is at the lower end of the spectrum. Personaly i don't know if they will work, but do not expect breathtaking performance, they are over four years old.

This post makes me cry :(

Old 06 June 2017   #40
Originally Posted by rsquires: This post makes me cry :(

What did you expect? That 4 years old cards will be faster than modern hardware? Honestly I see no reason why they should not work, an actual Radeon pro 580 is rated for 6teraflops, the next generation Vega card is rated for 13teraflops, the dual d700 are rated for 7teraflops, you do the math and if they are slower for your needs you can always add several new eGPUs.

Old 06 June 2017   #41
Originally Posted by Blinny: While it's nice for ProRender users, Apple's announcement just shows more of the same cluelessness when it comes to GPUs. I know Vega is supposed to be a big deal, but regardless of how fast it is, it still doesn't support CUDA and that's what Apple fails to get —*over and over... and over. By not providing an option (even a single BTO option) they are effectively saying "screw you, we don't care if you want to use something built around CUDA. We know best."

Your cynicism seems to have blinded you to a couple of things.

1 - NVIDIA only JUST announced resumption of OSX driver development. There well may be an NVIDIA BTO option 6 months from now for the iMac Pro, but at this point it would be irresponsible to promise something they can't be certain will be available in time.

Originally Posted by Blinny: completely inaccessible and non-upgradable. Hell they won't even let people in to upgrade RAM in this one.

All in one machines have never been meant as the machine for people who want to do component upgrades. They are for those who want a fully sussed out system straight out of the box, no fuss no muss, straight to business.

Originally Posted by Blinny: I was not impressed with yesterday's announcements, as far as pro stuff goes.

Let's not forget that the iMac Pro is NOT the new Mac Pro. That system is coming next year, will be modular, and user upgradeable. It could well be they are keeping their NVIDIA card plans quiet to add even more impact to that reveal. Who knows? But NVIDIA wouldn't have announced a renewed commitment to the platform if there were no plans for the inclusion of their GPU's. I predict that BTO options for AMD or NVIDIA GPU's will become (once again) ubiquitous across all machines with the 'Pro' moniker in the next year
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 06 June 2017   #42
Originally Posted by Blinny: Hell they won't even let people in to upgrade RAM in this one.

RAM is clearly accessible like the SSD: https://www.digitalic.it/wp-content...freddamneto.png
Even the CPU will be accessible meaning that you can buy the cheapest model and get a better CPU without the Apple markup, it's likely that you will be able to use even a 22core CPU because technically have the same TDP of a 18 core.

Old 06 June 2017   #43
Originally Posted by theglenster:
to help you get the most out of prorender we have made a new PBR workflow for materials and lighting which can actually be use with the physical rendere, more info on this will be made available soon.

Do you mean by PBR like the metallic or the non metallic mode like in the game engines or do you mean a C4D specific physically correct mode?

Old 06 June 2017   #44
Originally Posted by GruvDOne: Your cynicism seems to have blinded you to a couple of things.

If only it were true...

Quote: 1 - NVIDIA only JUST announced resumption of OSX driver development. There well may be an NVIDIA BTO option 6 months from now for the iMac Pro, but at this point it would be irresponsible to promise something they can't be certain will be available in time.

A couple points:
1) Apple is directly responsible for Nvidia having no interest in developing drivers for Mac;

2) As soon as Apple announced new Pro machines Nvidia IMMEDIATELY began developing them again.

2a) I guarnatee you there will only be VEGA in the iMac Pro. At least for the first generation. It's a custom-designed board, just like the trashcan. Discrete chipset on a custom board to fit the chassis and heat profile. If they were going to offer both options it would be a huge selling point and a sign they are listening. There is zero chance they're working with Nvidia but mentioning nothing.

Quote: All in one machines have never been meant as the machine for people who want to do component upgrades. They are for those who want a fully sussed out system straight out of the box, no fuss no muss, straight to business.

I don't disagree but prior generations of Mac Pro let you get at the RAM at least. So why make a pro version and make it less accessible? Heh

Quote: Let's not forget that the iMac Pro is NOT the new Mac Pro. That system is coming next year, will be modular, and user upgradeable.

Never said it was. My point is Apple has heard over and over and over people need a CUDA solution for pro workflows. Apple makes yet another brand new "pro" computer, and ignores CUDA. And to pour salt, takes away RAM upgrade paths (so you have to pay out the nose for their 32 / 64 /128 GB kits. Just more of the same I'm afraid. Believe me I'm ready and willing to praise them the second they show they "get it".

Hopefully the new new Mac Pro in 2018-2019 will be that.

And in fairness I did give credit for the system-level stuff that will positively impact pros.

Old 06 June 2017   #45
Originally Posted by sirio: RAM is clearly accessible like the SSD: https://www.digitalic.it/wp-content...freddamneto.png
Even the CPU will be accessible meaning that you can buy the cheapest model and get a better CPU without the Apple markup, it's likely that you will be able to use even a 22core CPU because technically have the same TDP of a 18 core.

Nope, it isn't. There's no access door. You'd have to remove the screen and other components the same way you do now to upgrade the drives for some iMac computers. Repair-shop level stuff. The cut-away / x-ray view they show does not infer user upgradability. Just look at photos of the back of the chassis. No seams anywhere but along the edge.

Anyway I don't want to belabor this. I'm sure the iMac Pro will be useful to some people I'm just saying it shows a continued lack of awareness on Apple's part. If they're going to call it "Pro" and market it directly to pros, even mentioning stuff like particle systems... then you better provide some "pro" options for the GPU and not just say "All AMD all the time." And I do recognize there will be some good AMD software solutions — including the new Pro Render we're talking about here — but that's beside the point IMHO.

But I am hopeful the new Mac Pro will be a thing to celebrate. (And I am all in favor of developers going with Metal / AMD-friendly tech if they can. That's not to be overlooked.)

Last edited by Blinny : 06 June 2017 at 01:18 AM.

reply share thread