AMD Radeon ProRender render engine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 05 May 2017   #1
AMD Radeon ProRender render engine

Hey,

I'm just realising that ProRender from AMD is a thing. It's news to me and in summary it's:

A physically based ray tracing engine, with physically correct materials. It's open source and free with plugins coming to Cinema 4D (and Blender, 3Ds Max, Maya, Rhino, Solidworks).

It uses CPU and GPU simultaneously and is based on OpenCL 1.2. It's not just for AMD, but any OpenCL card can use it.

Is it jus me, or is AMD on the move lately with Ryzen, Vega and these things on the software side?

Let's see how good it actually is, but it's coming and it's free—so let's hope it's got legs!

Has anyone demoed it or heard more about it?

Old 05 May 2017   #2
It was demoed as an implementation for Cinema 4D on FMX last week. While not yet feature complete and fully optimized it can already produce nice work. Maxons Glen Johnson realy put it through its paces and showed pretty great stuff.

Old 05 May 2017   #3
is there a video of FMX where we can see that?

Has it been confirmed for R19?

Old 05 May 2017   #4
I think it sounds awesome. A graphics card agnostic engine that is multi CPU and GPU aware, plus unbiased, plus free has to be an instant success.

It doesn't even have to be 'best', just great.

I'd also love to see a link to a presentation if one becomes available.

Old 05 May 2017   #5
My guess is that AMD is throwing ProRender out there to see if it sticks.

If it does become popular - which it may - maybe AMD is planning to put render accelerator hardware for it in its graphics cards.

This would be similar to OTOY & Imagination Technologies with their OctaneRender 4 hardware acceleration.

Its about time the industry shifts towards render accelerator hardware.

Old 05 May 2017   #6
Originally Posted by Srek: It was demoed as an implementation for Cinema 4D on FMX last week. While not yet feature complete and fully optimized it can already produce nice work. Maxons Glen Johnson realy put it through its paces and showed pretty great stuff.

Please make sure is integrated with x-particles, turbulence, substance assets and cinema's own objects like grass, floor, hair and variation shader ( sorry its a lot to ask but I had to :P )

Old 05 May 2017   #7
Originally Posted by skeebertus: …maybe AMD is planning to put render accelerator hardware for it in its graphics cards..

What do you mean? Seeing that it's OpenCL based, and multi GPU aware, I'm assuming it already runs full speed on both AMD and Nvidia cards.

Old 05 May 2017   #8
Originally Posted by Pixla: What do you mean? Seeing that it's OpenCL based, and multi GPU aware, I'm assuming it already runs full speed on both AMD and Nvidia cards.

If you use Hardware Ray Tracing circuitry like some PowerVR GPUs do, you get MUCH faster 3D rendering than a normal CPU/GPU is capable of.

Here's an old 2016 video of PowerVR realtime Hardware Ray Tracing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND96G9UZxxA

Here's the website for PowerVR hardware ray tracing GPUs:

https://www.imgtec.com/blog/powervr...ay-tracing-api/

And OctaneRender 4 prototype with hardware ray tracing:

https://www.imgtec.com/news/press-r...time-rendering/

Basically, instead of a software rendering algorithm running on a general purpose CPU/GPU, there is CUSTOM ELECTRONIC CIRCUITRY being used that is made just for FIRING 100s OF MILLIONS OF RAYS PER SECOND into a 3D scene.

The result is much faster 3D rendering than is technically possible on a CPU or GPU.

CPU/GPU is general-purpose programmable hardware.

A hardware ray tracing GPU is not general-purpose hardware - it is designed just to ray trace as quickly as possible.

Even realtime ray tracing or path tracing at 30 FPS may be possible some day.

Old 05 May 2017   #9
Originally Posted by skeebertus: If you use Hardware Ray Tracing circuitry like some PowerVR GPUs do, you get MUCH faster 3D rendering than a normal CPU/GPU is capable of.

OK.

As long as it's still independent acceleration and you don't have to be able to fit the scene within the frame buffer of the card... But I know I read ProRender is aiming for CPU+GPU co-render. Should be good.

Old 05 May 2017   #10
Prorender supporting both cpu and gpu does not mean that both are used at any given time, it just means that you have a choice. If a scene does not fit into the available memory of a gpu it doesn't mean that it just starts using system ram via the cpu.

Old 05 May 2017   #11
Originally Posted by Srek: Prorender supporting both cpu and gpu does not mean that both are used at any given time, it just means that you have a choice. If a scene does not fit into the available memory of a gpu it doesn't mean that it just starts using system ram via the cpu.

That's what I was going to say. It's one or the other (like other renderers), not both.

The only concern I have about ProRender, is it's based on OpenCL 1.2 which is almost 5 years old as a spec. This is what makes it platform agnostic / work with more cards and the Mac more specifically, but... it's somewhat outdated technology. Makes me wonder how long ProRender will remain viable (at least for Mac users) but I'm not exactly sure how hard or easy it would be for Apple to support 2.x.

Last edited by Blinny : 05 May 2017 at 12:07 AM.

Old 05 May 2017   #12
Originally Posted by Srek: Prorender supporting both cpu and gpu does not mean that both are used at any given time, it just means that you have a choice.

I beg to differ:

Originally Posted by AMD: Unlike other renderers, Radeon ProRender can simultaneously use and balance the compute capabilities of multiple GPUs and CPUs – on the same system, at the same time – and deliver state-of-the-art GPU acceleration to produce rapid, accurate results even on less-capable hardware.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovation...adeon-prorender

Last edited by Pixla : 05 May 2017 at 01:03 PM.

Old 05 May 2017   #13
hi there,

im the guy Björn mentioned above currenting demoing cinema 4ds intergration of prorender.

i was at FMX in Stuttgart all last week and had alot of very positive feed back. users are looking forward to getting it in the next release.

as Björn has pointed out, the first version that we ship will not be a feature complete renderer ready for production, but it is still a very capable renderer. by releasing it while still in development we are inviting you along the path of the development of prorender and c4d which hopefully will give us great feed back during development.

to help you get the most out of prorender we have made a new PBR workflow for materials and lighting which can actually be use with the physical rendere, more info on this will be made available soon.

theres no video as i was sitting on a stand and demoing it to passers by.
but here are a few links to look at:

https://twitter.com/the_glenster/st...757163991552002

https://twitter.com/the_glenster/st...801895090311168

https://twitter.com/the_glenster/st...533503859064832

i should be at all the big shows this year, so come along and see prorender for yourself

cheers

edited inacurate infomation. please see my next post for clarification

Last edited by theglenster : 05 May 2017 at 01:28 PM.

Old 05 May 2017   #14
Thanks a lot.

So I assume the new PBR material is leveraging MDL so that one material can be used in Physical/Standard/ProRender seemlessly, right? (and possibily VRay or Iray too at some point).

Old 05 May 2017   #15
Originally Posted by theglenster: hi there, im the guy.

Thanks for clarifying, Glen!

I'll keep my eyes open for news and more information about this.

reply share thread