Any point in sticking with Mac?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Blinny: OK but you're still on 10.12.x †right? Or Boot Camp from 10.12.x?†

As an aside, did you experience any issues with teh fan in the Node?
The 2013 Mac Pro is on 10.12.x, the 2016 MacBook Pro is on 10.13. We really haven't had any problems with these setups. The only hangup is if the box needs to be disconnected and moved. If you disconnect the Thunderbolt cable before the system is shut down, the system will crash. The fan on the Akitio Node isn't a problem at all. The card is a MSI GeForce GTX 1070, which stays cool under load. We also have a PC with four GTX1070s in it, but really only use it for Team Render. Redshift in Cinema 4D with these eGPUs really stepped up the quality and speed of our work. We'll be expanding this workflow heavily in 2018, regardless of Apple's future Mac Pro plans.

3 Weeks Ago
In the past year I am responsible on migrating our entire department from Mac platform to HP Z840 after almost two decades that the department was Apple user, we decided that Apple is not giving us the best solution that we could find and we were tired of waiting. In my opinion, if you have a decent Mac station and only want to upgrade it, buy an eGPU, upgrade your memory and have fun for a few more years, if you want to buy a new one, buy the best PC you can afford, you only need a few days to get used to the OS and after that the apps are the same.

3 Weeks Ago
I use them both together in a studio....(in peace :-) The reason to buy a pc was just the lack of some software I needed once and a while... I guess I'm too lazy to go for pc-emulation software on the Mac. There are some killer features I miss on my pc but at the end of the day it's just a tool. Just do what ever you like. There is no good or bad in this one...

3 Weeks Ago
i'm also running 10.12 with the egpu setup, i was told by a friend better not to update to high sierra, so i didn't. but i'm usually not the one updating immediately after a release anyways. regarding the fan: apart from being a bit noisy it's fine. but if you used to run a cheese grater you're probably used to some fan noise in your office. about the same level. i bought a 2m tb3 cable to be able to have the box under my desk a little bit further from where i sit, so it's not that big of a deal.†

3 Weeks Ago
Node fans: glad to hear you guys didn't have a fan issue. Quite a few people recently had to have theirs replaced from what I can tell. Must've been a bad batch of fans / isolated thing.

10.12.6+: sounds like we're all in agreement (not a stable environment for eGPU in production), whereas you guys seem fully onboard with 10.12.5 and earlier. So it boils down to which system you're already using if you intend to investigate eGPU. If any of you guys find a workable solution on those systems, I'd encourage you to set up an acct at eGPU.io and post your solution so others can benefit. Quite a few people with 10.12.6+ and attempting to use an NVIDIA card with latest web drivers and eGPU, banging their collective heads against the wall. The only real plug-and-play solution in 10.13 is the RX 580 and others in that series, which is useless for production.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Blinny: Node fans: glad to hear you guys didn't have a fan issue. Quite a few people recently had to have theirs replaced from what I can tell. Must've been a bad batch of fans / isolated thing.

10.12.6+: sounds like we're all in agreement (not a stable environment for eGPU in production), whereas you guys seem fully onboard with 10.12.5 and earlier. So it boils down to which system you're already using if you intend to investigate eGPU. If any of you guys find a workable solution on those systems, I'd encourage you to set up an acct at eGPU.io and post your solution so others can benefit. Quite a few people with 10.12.6+ and attempting to use an NVIDIA card with latest web drivers and eGPU, banging their collective heads against the wall. The only real plug-and-play solution in 10.13 is the RX 580 and others in that series, which is useless for production.
i'm actually running 10.12.6, i set it all up with the script by golaque. works fine so far... and graham wilson stated above he's even running one on a mbp with 10.13, although people say in the egpu forums it won't work with 10.13.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by everfresh: i'm actually running 10.12.6, i set it all up with the script by golaque. works fine so far... and graham wilson stated above he's even running one on a mbp with 10.13, although people say in the egpu forums it won't work with 10.13.

Well for most people 10.13 doesn't work, at least not with Nvidia cards (which is what 90% of the people want to use, gaming or work). And I thought (until talking here) that 10.12.6 wasn't good for Nvidia either although I was aware of the two script approaches (goalque and rastafabi) found on that site which work for some people. However I never got the impression it was like a "yeah I can run it for days" kind of setup (as is often required in the GFX / 3D world). More common are the "I had it running for a few hours then it stopped working when I did ______" stories. Then there's the problem of determining whether the people who have it "working" are using it FOR work or whether they're just running Unigine benchmarks and games (which, who gives a damn).

I've run some limited tests myself on 10.13 and the results were consistent with others on that board. The RX580 and related cards all work fine but as noted they're not exactly top performers. Vega cards would probably work if their Mac drivers were better. Also fair number of people trying to use those cards with underpowered eGPUs, which doesn't help.

It does seem like more people have success with the Akitio box (fans not withstanding for some people) than the others. It was also one of the very first boxes out there with an adequate PSU and which has the Ti83 controller that seems to be a pre-requisite. So could just be a consequence of those guys having more time to test things on that box and get it working.

Still, in total, for most people, I think the smart play (if they're willing to stick to Mac) is to stick it out until Spring when things are likely to get a lot better stability-wise. Might even be before that if Apple releases a system update with some eGPU fixes based on people's experiences. They'd be insane not to pull a lot of data points from the eGPU site in the next few months, to find out what works and what doesn't.

Last edited by Blinny : 3 Weeks Ago at 03:39 AM.

3 Weeks Ago
well i've not tested it extensively by running it for several days straight yet, so i really can't say if there's really no issues at all. i actually updated from 10.12.5 to 10.12.6 accidentally a few days before my equipment arrived by clicking on "update now" instead of "remind me later". and although i immediately stopped all downloads, the next time i was restarting the machine it installed anyways. :/ i was really worried that it might cause issues, but thankfully so far it seems to work. i wasn't questioning your observations, as i've read the same stuff in forums... let's hope everything keeps running smoothly.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by everfresh: well i've not tested it extensively by running it for several days straight yet, so i really can't say if there's really no issues at all. i actually updated from 10.12.5 to 10.12.6 accidentally a few days before my equipment arrived by clicking on "update now" instead of "remind me later". and although i immediately stopped all downloads, the next time i was restarting the machine it installed anyways. :/ i was really worried that it might cause issues, but thankfully so far it seems to work. i wasn't questioning your observations, as i've read the same stuff in forums... let's hope everything keeps running smoothly.
Yeah for sure, I hope it does for anyone who's found a good combination of hardware and software, to the extent eGPU reliably works for their job. And whoever does, once you find that combo, don't upgrade anything for a few months.

I didn't think you were questioning, but I was intending to clarify what I had come to understand from the few tests I've done and a lot of lurking / reading over there (and now here). Mostly for the benefit of anyone considering a $1000+ investment in a new eGPU + GPU as a sort of "interim Mac solution" to a 2018 Mac Pro (we hope) or just full-on jumping ship... which... at any point is hard to argue against these days. PC hardware and Win 10 have been good enough for enough switchers that there's really not much downside other than the disappointment a person might feel for having to switch and the general hassle factor in the initial days. I haven't done it yet but I've certainly done the homework and considered it, even after Apple's announcement. But my work situation allowed me to just hang back, not jump into eGPU or switch.

Something will definitely be changing in my workflow during the next 6-8 months, I just don't know what it is yet. Intel Box, Threadripper Box, 2018 Mac Pro, Hackintosh box, mid-range eGPU setup on a TB2 Mac ó all are possibilities. In the end, Apple will make the decision for me. If their solutions are legit and pro-friendly, I'll stick around / use one of their official solutions. If they're not, I won't. A prime example of something I consider to not be a pro-friendly solution: iMac Pro. Regardless of the initial specs, $5000 base cost for a machine with zero upgrade path and no flexibility in display choice? Pass.

Last edited by Blinny : 3 Weeks Ago at 10:30 AM.

reply share thread