Any point in sticking with Mac?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

3 Weeks Ago
I was an exclusive mac user until about  late 2014.
For me it was all about availability of specific
windows software that I needed to run natively

Iclone Pro and endorphin.

I still have my old Macbook and even render on it 
I edit video and run Adobe CS& After Effect CS
But for creation of my Character animation motion Data,
 a PC became a must have in my case at least.

3 Weeks Ago
If you've waited this long, and you're not losing money because of your Mac Pro (which is pretty old now by any measure), yes it makes sense to wait a few more months to see what result we get from:

1) New Mac Pro
2) Full Apple eGPU support

In other words don't leave the platform right now if you've stuck around this long. You will have to buy new hardware regardless but wait until Spring before determining whether to plunk your money down on a new PC or new Mac. The eGPU won't help your Mac Pro but it could make a MacBook pro workflow viable for you. 

If you're losing money / this is hurting your business, get a PC for now and come back later to see if you want to get a new Mac. There isn't an option B in your situation unless you like system building / rolling your own, in which case you can do the Hackintosh thing. Personally I'm waiting a bit longer. Either the new Mac Pro will kick ass and allow me to buy whatever GPU I want and more than one if needed, or I'm building a PC or Hackintosh. After doing quite a bit of research and borrowing one this past week, the eGPU thing isn't impressing me much so far, even when people get it to work with good cards. So I'm pretty much taking that option off the table for now.

Last edited by Blinny : 3 Weeks Ago at 10:52 PM.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Blinny:  Personally I'm waiting a bit longer. Either the new Mac Pro will kick ass and allow me to buy whatever GPU I want and more than one if needed, or I'm building a PC or Hackintosh. After doing quite a bit of research and borrowing one this past week, the eGPU thing isn't impressing me much so far, even when people get it to work with good cards. So I'm pretty much taking that option off the table for now.
i recently bought an egpu (akitio node) and a gtx1080ti and run it on a new mbp, and it really works great so far i think. the only really annoying thing is that i can't just unplug the egpu when i want to take the mbp into another room. i mean i can, but then the system crashes. so i have to restart the system every time i want to unplug. not ideal. also i get some slight glitches from time to time in c4d, depending on what i do. the screen just turns into another color for a fraction of a second. other than that i'm pretty happy with it. i bought it to be able to run redshift, and i have no comparison so far how the card would perform in a pc, but i'm getting blazingly fast renders, so i'm happy with it for now. 

i also thought about a hackintosh a lot over the last months/years, and also decided to wait what the new mac pro will bring. the logic tells they should be presenting a highly modular machine which provides the freedom of choice regarding graphics cards and other components, but they disappointed me before in the logical thinking department, so i tend to remain sceptical. 

3 Weeks Ago
Macs used to be very different from PCs - they had Motorola CPUs, different hardware chips, different strengths in some areas and so on.

Today's Macs are literally just PCs running OSX.

So you're not switching to some alien world where everything is different. You already ARE using a PC.

You just have to get used to the Windows graphical user interface. In Windows 10, that really is no big deal.

3 Weeks Ago
To me, it's all about the Finder.  There are some things in MacOS finder that are integral to my workflow.  I'm using a PC for 3D work now, but miss very much the built-in quick look abilities on the Mac, color labels, COLUMN VIEW - this one hurts - and a few others that escape me at the moment.  (Need my coffee)

There are some plugins and software that will *sort of* allow us to emulate these features on Windows 10, but it's truly not the same, and I'm not one to want to install a bunch of stuff like that anyway.

3 Weeks Ago
it definitely doesn't require even a flashed card to use Cuda, Nvidia provides cuda drivers as well as drivers for their cards,  so even with an older non-flashed PC card using Apple drivers you can use CUDA. You just don't get any display until the end of the boot sequence when the drivers load but that is not a problem.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by everfresh: i recently bought an egpu (akitio node) and a gtx1080ti and run it on a new mbp, and it really works great so far i think. the only really annoying thing is that i can't just unplug the egpu when i want to take the mbp into another room. i mean i can, but then the system crashes. so i have to restart the system every time i want to unplug. not ideal. also i get some slight glitches from time to time in c4d, depending on what i do. the screen just turns into another color for a fraction of a second. other than that i'm pretty happy with it. i bought it to be able to run redshift, and i have no comparison so far how the card would perform in a pc, but i'm getting blazingly fast renders, so i'm happy with it for now. 

i also thought about a hackintosh a lot over the last months/years, and also decided to wait what the new mac pro will bring. the logic tells they should be presenting a highly modular machine which provides the freedom of choice regarding graphics cards and other components, but they disappointed me before in the logical thinking department, so i tend to remain sceptical. 

I've been browsing the egpu.io forum and it's pages and pages of people with difficulties.  But I think those users are trying to run external displays driven by the eGPU boxes for gaming on their Macs.  I don't care about gaming and I don't need a display being driven by the external GPU. I would like to use external GPU boxes for rendering like your setup.  Is it fairly simple to set up?  Can I just plug in a box without display for Redshift/Octane/Cycles? What system are you using?  

Sorry for so many questions.  My new iMac is sitting in a box behind me while I catch up on work and I'd like the option of GPU rendering.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by BubblegumDimension: I've been browsing the egpu.io forum and it's pages and pages of people with difficulties.  But I think those users are trying to run external displays driven by the eGPU boxes for gaming on their Macs.  I don't care about gaming and I don't need a display being driven by the external GPU. I would like to use external GPU boxes for rendering like your setup.  Is it fairly simple to set up?  Can I just plug in a box without display for Redshift/Octane/Cycles? What system are you using?  

Sorry for so many questions.  My new iMac is sitting in a box behind me while I catch up on work and I'd like the option of GPU rendering.

I've been using an eGPU at home with my late 2013 nMP since...December 2015, I believe, with Yosemite. Since then, I've upgraded to Sierra, but I've got a near-identical setup at work on El Capitain for about 8-9 months now. The technical workings of getting eGPU support enabled differ from 10.10 to 10.11. The biggest caveats for me have been getting 2 cards (980TI and 1080 Hybrid) working on the same system, but that's a special case that involves connecting the right TB cables into the proper TB slots on the back of the nMP since those are on different buses.

If you stick with the script (pun TOTALLY intended) — the one provided by goalque — and follow the egpu.io setup guide, then you should be abel to get up and running in no time.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by BubblegumDimension: I've been browsing the egpu.io forum and it's pages and pages of people with difficulties.  But I think those users are trying to run external displays driven by the eGPU boxes for gaming on their Macs.  I don't care about gaming and I don't need a display being driven by the external GPU. I would like to use external GPU boxes for rendering like your setup.  Is it fairly simple to set up?  Can I just plug in a box without display for Redshift/Octane/Cycles? What system are you using?  

pretty much what nycjunglist said. i run it on a new late 2016 mbp with touchbar, after plugin it in your mac won't be able to use it at first, you need to run a script via terminal, after that it's just plug 'n play.... i don't have another display plugged into it right now, but i've also seen people doing that successfully in several videos. here's a link to instructions and the script i used: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/au...acos/#post-1487

i have the akitio node egpu and a zotac gtx1080ti blower card. runs smoothly so far and doesn't get very hot, at least not up to now

3 Weeks Ago
Thanks, Mike and Sebastian!  I'll try that soon if my wallet can take it!  

I wish Apple would get off their butts and make this work in the OS with no extra steps.  I guess that Apple's implementation is supposed to be coming sometime around Spring 2018.

Last edited by BubblegumDimension : 3 Weeks Ago at 06:22 PM. Reason: spelling

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by BubblegumDimension: Thanks, Mike and Sebastian!  I'll try that soon if my wallet can take it!  

I wish Apple would get off their butts and make this work in the OS with no extra steps.  I guess that Apple's implementation is supposed to be coming sometime around Spring 2018.
apples decisions over the last couple of years always left me (and i believe many others) puzzled. they seem to be too busy selling iphones and watches, and i also guess a very big part of their revenue is accessories these days. hell, the power adapter of the new mbp is 100€ (116$) now here in germany, a simple tb2 to tb3 adapter costs 59€ and so on.. insane. i used to love apple for everything they do, but over the last couple of years that love turned more towards hate. if they don't blow me away with their new mac pro next year i'm out. i said that very often over the last couple of years, but this time i really mean it  ... building a hackintosh could even be fun i guess. can't see myself using windows yet, it just scares the sh**t out of me. maybe i should go and see a doctor because of my windows-phobia. it's starting to get silly.

3 Weeks Ago
I would caution anyone from assuming an eGPU + recent NVIDIA card will work for them via macOS 10.13. Some people have successfully hacked together solutions that require custom driver scripts and other trickery but the large majority, even when using the tricks, don't get good results. egpu.io is a euphamism for Apple, NVIDIA and AMD saying "here this isn't ready yet, test it for us and see how it goes." Lot of good people on that site but no help from Apple, and only minor contributions from some of the eGPU makers' reps and one AMD guy I think.

It's not even close to being a production-stable environment IMO. Even if you try to do it via Boot Camp on your Mac. Stick with what you got / wait till spring on that, or build a modest PC with a nice GPU in it that hopefully you can repurpose later in a 2018 Mac Pro and/or eGPU.

3 Weeks Ago
I have been running an Akitio Node egpu box with an Nvidia GTX 1070 for about six months. The box has been hooked up to a 2013 Mac Pro cylinder via TB2 and to a 2016 15" MacBook Pro via TB3. We've been running Redshift and Cycles on it, and have had no problems with this solution. We've delivered a number of jobs on tight deadlines using this setup. We'll probably buy a few more of these setups, but upgrade to the GTX 1080ti.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by GrahamWilson: I have been running an Akitio Node egpu box with an Nvidia GTX 1070 for about six months. The box has been hooked up to a 2013 Mac Pro cylinder via TB2 and to a 2016 15" MacBook Pro via TB3. We've been running Redshift and Cycles on it, and have had no problems with this solution. We've delivered a number of jobs on tight deadlines using this setup. We'll probably buy a few more of these setups, but upgrade to the GTX 1080ti.

OK but you're still on 10.12.x  right? Or Boot Camp from 10.12.x? 

As an aside, did you experience any issues with teh fan in the Node?

3 Weeks Ago
I've been running eGPU for years. From Thunderbolt 1 with GTX780s to now Thunderbolt 3 with GTX1080. I use eGPU with Octane for commercial work. You just need to steer clear of those Apple Security Updates and point level OS X updates until Nvidia releases the drivers. It's all very simple up till OS X 10.12.6. High Sierra has serious compatibility issues with Nvidia at the moment, so just don't go there.

Just treat your setup like any production workstation: freeze it and don't modify anything. Do all testing and updates on a non mission-critical platform.

The only real deal-breaker with eGPU on Mac OS currently is that you cannot enable more than 2 cards over Thunderbolt. So that limits how much you can scale. I'm hoping Apple's official eGPU support will eventually solve this. But even if they don't, I guess there's always ORC...

reply share thread