Cycles now available

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

11 November 2016
Originally Posted by rsquires: Bit hard to leave it when you only have 30 days on the demo...

Aha - I bought it blind actually; I've been pleading Maxon for a nodal material system for so long, and with the real-time preview it ticked both boxes, seemed churlish to resist ;-) At v1.0 it's going to have some rough edges of course, I've got confidence in Insydium, and there's already been some lovely examples of the XP integration.

11 November 2016
Originally Posted by ChrisCousins: Aha - I bought it blind actually; I've been pleading Maxon for a nodal material system for so long, and with the real-time preview it ticked both boxes, seemed churlish to resist ;-) At v1.0 it's going to have some rough edges of course, I've got confidence in Insydium, and there's already been some lovely examples of the XP integration.

Well I was going to too, but I was wary because of my lack of CUDA. Still the XP rendering alone is probably worth the cost

11 November 2016
Originally Posted by rsquires: Well I was going to too, but I was wary because of my lack of CUDA. Still the XP rendering alone is probably worth the cost

That's what I'm hoping for but still trying to figure out how to create a basic setup to preview spawned particles. Just downloaded some of the demo scenes from their web site. Hopefully I can figure it out tonight.

[Still running into the same problem, even when using CPU only *some scenes load into the Realtime Preview right away, some don't load at all. A few of them are so slow to load, I thought it wasn't working. I'd move the time indicator / frame indicator and literally nothing would happen in the real-time preview for 30 seconds or more. ]

Last edited by Blinny : 11 November 2016 at 04:54 AM.

12 December 2016
Haven't heard much buzz about this in the last couple weeks; how are things settling in for early adopters?

12 December 2016
I purchased it as soon as it was available. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to render that quickly with the Mac Pro's D700. Rendering all CPU is faster than the D700s. I was hoping that it would be a cost-effective alternative to Arnold. After a few days of testing it, I do like its features, but the speed isn't there for my needs right now. It has a ton of potential, so I'll be keeping an eye out for updates.

12 December 2016
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: Haven't heard much buzz about this in the last couple weeks; how are things settling in for early adopters?

The folks I know who have it (running NVIDIA cards) are loving it.

12 December 2016
I'm interested to see how this will compare with Redshift. I saw some stunning results from Max users over the past few weeks. That renderer was eating giant scenes for breakfast and asking for seconds.

12 December 2016
Originally Posted by Venkman: I'm interested to see how this will compare with Redshift. I saw some stunning results from Max users over the past few weeks. That renderer was eating giant scenes for breakfast and asking for seconds.

In my early tests Redshift is faster than Cycles but it has no support for X-Particles or any other plugins yet so Cycles is the way to go for particle rendering. Once Redshift gets particle support it will be a tough call although Cycles will always have the best XP integration obviously.

12 December 2016
Are you saying Cycles is not that far behind Redshift in speed? That's encouraging. What's your set-up hardware wise?

12 December 2016
Originally Posted by mitchino: Are you saying Cycles is not that far behind Redshift in speed? That's encouraging. What's your set-up hardware wise?

Well no, Redshift is definitely the faster of the two engines at the moment but speed isn't always everything. I am waiting to see how well RS handles particles in C4d since I know it's pretty good with Houdini particles and instancing. That is one reason I enjoy Cycles4d. It works well with XP and TFD. The other reason is that I really like the Cycles node editor. I am using a gpu setup with a 1070/970 combo at the moment until I replace the older 970.

12 December 2016
Originally Posted by mitchino: Are you saying Cycles is not that far behind Redshift in speed? That's encouraging. What's your set-up hardware wise?

I love Insidyium X-particles ( I own a copy ) but Its impossible to compare both products since Redshift is still in alpha / beta and Cycles isnt. RS doesnt support xparticles except instance geometry, but if Cycles is behind RS in everything else, I guess the logical thinking is that RS will be faster rendering xparticles when it supports them because in the end Cycles convert particles into geometry.
Former gf: XSI

01 January 2017
Thought I'd post a test here as I'd not seen this mentioned. When TFD is rendered in Cycles it's included as a fully integrated member of the scene - so it's seen by blurry reflections, casts area shadows on itself and surroundings, and is seen by depth of field so objects behind the smoke will be blurred correctly.

Kinda cool ;-) The setup I used to render the domain is here, applied to the TFD object. Render time was around 4mins @ 1080px square. I'm not quite confident enough yet to use Cycles as a production renderer, but the more I test it the more I'm finding to like.

01 January 2017
Originally Posted by ChrisCousins: Render time was around 4mins @ 1080px square.

What were you rendering with? Otherwise, the times don't mean much.

01 January 2017
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: What were you rendering with? Otherwise, the times don't mean much.

True ;-) This was with two titan x's.

01 January 2017
That's a very pretty scene, but doesn't look like a traditional TFD 'smoke' render. Is that intentional?

reply share thread