Cycles now available

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  11 November 2016
OK first, if you use an AMD graphics card, it will be much slower than an Nivdia GPU because as of now Cycles runs much better on CUDA than on OpenCL. AMD has sponsored 2 programmer for the next year to get the performance up.

Darth Mole
That is odd, something is not right, your GTX980TI should run it fast.

GrahamWilson
Quote: Cycles on the CPU seems pretty comparable to Arnold, in terms of render speed vs the quality.


That is sadly not my experience.
Rendertime increases exponentially with the scene complexity on cycles.
Arnold has a more linear curve, the more you throw at it the faster it gets in comparison.
And it does look slightly better, there is something about the quality of soft shadows or shadow edges which makes it imho more pleasing and realistic for the eyes.

Cycles has a huge problem with fireflies, and it is an nightmare to get them cleared (better do it in post!).

rsquires
When you render with GPU you need to change the block size to something bigger.
I've used block sizes as big as the render image = 1920x1080.
I would recommend to use at least 256x2 or 512x2 depending on the scene complexity. Compare the render results.
CPU is the opposite, when rendering with CPU put the size to 16x16 and compare it.
You can get 30% speed out of optimizing block size and if you do it wrong your render might take 400% longer.


PS: my experience comes from using Blenders Cycles, Cycles 4d might be slightly different.
 
  11 November 2016
A couple, or more, demo scenes would certainly help with the analysis too.

FWIW: As other users reported, IPR offers pretty decent performance - iMac 4 ghz.

I have a 1080 card in i7 PC, and locks up computer every time...

Oh, and yes, the watermark is a little too intrusive. Perhaps a little smaller.
 
  11 November 2016
Originally Posted by Ryusaki: Cycles has a huge problem with fireflies, and it is an nightmare to get them cleared (better do it in post!).
[


It had. in my experience it good much better. and with clamping the secondary bounces you can fight them quite well.

I had the experience, that complicated materials slows it down a lot.(not surprising)

also blender cycles experience not cycles4d
 
  11 November 2016
Originally Posted by Ryusaki: OK first, if you use an AMD graphics card, it will be much slower than an Nivdia GPU because as of now Cycles runs much better on CUDA than on OpenCL. AMD has sponsored 2 programmer for the next year to get the performance up.

Darth Mole
That is odd, something is not right, your GTX980TI should run it fast.

GrahamWilson


That is sadly not my experience.
Rendertime increases exponentially with the scene complexity on cycles.
Arnold has a more linear curve, the more you throw at it the faster it gets in comparison.
And it does look slightly better, there is something about the quality of soft shadows or shadow edges which makes it imho more pleasing and realistic for the eyes.

Cycles has a huge problem with fireflies, and it is an nightmare to get them cleared (better do it in post!).

rsquires
When you render with GPU you need to change the block size to something bigger.
I've used block sizes as big as the render image = 1920x1080.
I would recommend to use at least 256x2 or 512x2 depending on the scene complexity. Compare the render results.
CPU is the opposite, when rendering with CPU put the size to 16x16 and compare it.
You can get 30% speed out of optimizing block size and if you do it wrong your render might take 400% longer.


PS: my experience comes from using Blenders Cycles, Cycles 4d might be slightly different.


Good tips. Thanks
 
  11 November 2016
rsquires, G. Wilson: thanks for posting some of your first-hand experiences. I have expected from the outset that for now, only the CPU option will be potentially useful for Mac Pro users. The OpenCL implementation in Cycles ain't great, but the roadmap is positive and as Ryusaki mentioned, "Help is on the way" from AMD. So maybe within a year+ (2.0) will have something that's rock solid on the GPU side.

What I'm going to try to figure out (and haven't yet) is whether the interactive renderer via CPU will help looks development with XP systems. Seems a little wonky so far - apparently you have to use Cycles lights and not C4D lights in your scene in order for stuff to show up? Still trying to figure it all out. Lots of tutorials to dig through.
 
  11 November 2016
Originally Posted by Blinny: rsquires, G. Wilson: thanks for posting some of your first-hand experiences. I have expected from the outset that for now, only the CPU option will be potentially useful for Mac Pro users. The OpenCL implementation in Cycles ain't great, but the roadmap is positive and as Ryusaki mentioned, "Help is on the way" from AMD. So maybe within a year+ (2.0) will have something that's rock solid on the GPU side.

What I'm going to try to figure out (and haven't yet) is whether the interactive renderer via CPU will help looks development with XP systems. Seems a little wonky so far - apparently you have to use Cycles lights and not C4D lights in your scene in order for stuff to show up? Still trying to figure it all out. Lots of tutorials to dig through.


Sure even the CPU render will help with look dev. Its fast enough to give you a rough idea of how the final render will look. The cycles lights are just cinema4d lights with the Cycles tag on them but if you plan on rendering with Cycles why would you be using the standard lights anyway?
__________________
Patrick Noland
http://vimeo.com/user2975057/videos
 
  11 November 2016
Hi. If I already blew my 30 days with x-particles.. is there a way to get them back just to test cycles? Because if I download cycles demo and I cant use xparticles demo, I wont be able to make an informed purchase.
__________________
demo videos
Close, open-relationship: C4D / Zbrush
Hate / love: Maya / Houdini
Former gf: XSI
 
  11 November 2016
Originally Posted by pnoland: Sure even the CPU render will help with look dev. Its fast enough to give you a rough idea of how the final render will look. The cycles lights are just cinema4d lights with the Cycles tag on them but if you plan on rendering with Cycles why would you be using the standard lights anyway?


For some reason I was under the impression that just the materials were being swapped out with this workflow, not the lights. What you say makes sense though. Have to get used to using a 3rd party renderer.

So back to basics here. What happens if you Mac guys do this:

Open a XP System, load one of the presets like the ink in water or smoke preset.
Open the Live Render window from Cycles4D and Add the Cycles light, make it whatever type you want.
Move the playback head forward a couple seconds in the Timeline so a bunch of particles have spawned.

Anything? I'm sure I'm leaving a component out somewhere but I was hoping the "quick and dirty" way of setting up and experimenting with a single, solid object (like in the tutorials) would have an analog for all the XP presets so I could play around with them / see what kind of rapid rendering I get... before i start digging into nodes and all the more complicated stuff.

Last edited by Blinny : 11 November 2016 at 04:28 AM.
 
  11 November 2016
Amazing what a day will do. I have been playing with some of the preset scenes and they do give you a good starting point as to how to set stuff up. And I have to say it's pretty great. On the Mac Pro (Late 2013)
With 32 Gb of RAM 2.7 Ghz 12 core it really chews through renders when you set the samples correctly which I am starting to understand. The interactive render is ok but I'm more impressed with how it final renders and the speed with glass and depth of field. I think I'm liking it and it hasn't crashed for the last hour or so.
 
  11 November 2016
Originally Posted by rsquires: Amazing what a day will do. I have been playing with some of the preset scenes and they do give you a good starting point as to how to set stuff up. And I have to say it's pretty great. On the Mac Pro (Late 2013)
With 32 Gb of RAM 2.7 Ghz 12 core it really chews through renders when you set the samples correctly which I am starting to understand. The interactive render is ok but I'm more impressed with how it final renders and the speed with glass and depth of field. I think I'm liking it and it hasn't crashed for the last hour or so.

If you are getting any crashing check the demo build number, the first demo build to go out had a gremlin in the nodes (not in the release build), we fixed it immediately and updated the demo. The latest demo build is Build 132 (check in the About). You can use your demo download link to get the latest build.

Anyone having problems or questions please do come over to our forums for more direct help:

http://insydium.uk/help/

Thanks.
__________________
INSYDIUM LTD
Managing Director/Director of Development

A question that sometimes drives me hazy, am I or are the others crazy?
 
  11 November 2016
Originally Posted by luisRiera: Hi. If I already blew my 30 days with x-particles.. is there a way to get them back just to test cycles? Because if I download cycles demo and I cant use xparticles demo, I wont be able to make an informed purchase.


My earlier post was incorrect, apparently we can't reset the demo - my apologies for misleading you.

Steve
__________________
Steve Pedler personal site www.microbion.co.uk
X-Particles: www.x-particle.com

Last edited by spedler : 11 November 2016 at 02:55 PM.
 
  11 November 2016
((thank you! I just sent an email.))
__________________
demo videos
Close, open-relationship: C4D / Zbrush
Hate / love: Maya / Houdini
Former gf: XSI

Last edited by luisRiera : 11 November 2016 at 03:47 PM.
 
  11 November 2016
Originally Posted by luisRiera: thank you! I just sent an email.


I've had to change my original post because it seems that resetting the demo expiry period is not possible. This was my mistake, I thought it was possible but I was wrong. I'm sorry for misleading you on this.

Steve
__________________
Steve Pedler personal site www.microbion.co.uk
X-Particles: www.x-particle.com
 
  11 November 2016
Originally Posted by rsquires: Amazing what a day will do. I have been playing with some of the preset scenes and they do give you a good starting point as to how to set stuff up. And I have to say it's pretty great. On the Mac Pro (Late 2013)
With 32 Gb of RAM 2.7 Ghz 12 core it really chews through renders when you set the samples correctly which I am starting to understand. The interactive render is ok but I'm more impressed with how it final renders and the speed with glass and depth of field. I think I'm liking it and it hasn't crashed for the last hour or so.


Great stuff Rich, good to know. I had the same first impression, decided to leave it until I had a decent slab of time to fiddle all the settings properly.
__________________
ProSite | Behance | Twitter
- - - - - -
Freelancer using Cinema4D? Sign up to the freelance directory: C4DFreelancers.com
 
  11 November 2016
Originally Posted by ChrisCousins: Great stuff Rich, good to know. I had the same first impression, decided to leave it until I had a decent slab of time to fiddle all the settings properly.


Bit hard to leave it when you only have 30 days on the demo.

I do like the node material system. It's very flexible, but perhaps a little daunting if you don't know what you are doing. However since it is cycles there's loads of material out there to glean info from, and materials no doubt that you can copy the nodes from to C4D's version. I also hear there's work being done on getting openCL running on AMD on par with Cuda on Nvidia. Let's hope that materialises.
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.