Cycles now available

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

11 November 2016
Cycles Forum

Is there a Cycles forum at Insydium yet? I'm seeing what I expect in the RT preview but when I try to render to the PV, I get nothing but the background -- trying to render the Hair demo file and Hair is selected in the Render Settings.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by dennishmiller : 11 November 2016 at 01:15 AM.

11 November 2016
Have you chosen Cycles 4D as the render engine?
Then under Devices on the settings tab, choose your rendering device (a graphics card, the CPU, or combination)
The RT preview has separate settings from the render settings

11 November 2016
And yes there is a cycles 4D forum on the Insydium site

11 November 2016
Originally Posted by dennishmiller: Is there a Cycles forum at Insydium yet? I'm seeing what I expect in the RT preview but when I try to render to the PV, I get nothing but the background -- trying to render the Hair demo file and Hair is selected in the Render Settings.
Any suggestions?

See SUPPORT > Help:

http://insydium.uk/help/

HTH.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy, am I or are the others crazy?

11 November 2016
Cycles Forum

Thanks for the help. I'll take this to the forum.

Originally Posted by obeardy: See SUPPORT > Help:

http://insydium.uk/help/

HTH.

11 November 2016
(Plugin) Cycles 4D Render Engine Bridge (Cinema 4D)

Cycles 4D Demo Out Now!

Try before you Buy Ė Your FREE 30 Day Demo of Cycles 4D is now available to download at http://insydium.uk/try-cycles-4d/

Donít forget to visit our Free Online Video Manual page http://video.cycles4d.net/ and Downloads page http://insydium.uk/downloads/ Youíll be up and running in no time.

Cycles 4D Render Engine Bridge only £185 ex VAT or £157 ex VAT to X-Particles 3.5 license owners. Just enter the Discount Code xp15 and your X-Particles 3.5 serial number at the checkout to receive your discount.

11 November 2016
Thanks for the demo! Looking forward to trying out Cycles.

I think the 30 day limit is a bit disappointing for a restricted and watermarked renderer though. At least allow more than one go at the demo - I don't get much time to try these demos out as I have too much other work to do.

Last edited by mitchino : 11 November 2016 at 04:07 PM.

11 November 2016
Is cycles able to generate motion blur for changing point count meshes (i.e - liquid meshes) from alembic files?

11 November 2016
Im in, if Xparticles has a discount in black friday.
Former gf: XSI

11 November 2016
Originally Posted by mitchino: Thanks for the demo! Looking forward to trying out Cycles.

I think the 30 day limit is a bit disappointing for a restricted and watermarked renderer though. At least allow more than one go at the demo - I don't get much time to try these demos out as I have too much other work to do.

I haven't tried it yet, but I would have to agree that time limited demos are frustrating, as I like yourself yhave little time to try it out. I will be trying it out and hope I can make a valued judgement in this time

11 November 2016
Any thoughts from demo users so far (other than the duration which I don't think is a big deal, and the watermark, which I agree is a little annoying if the demo is time-limited)? About to download it myself but surprised there aren't more comments so far.

Insydium: will this product be offered at ToolFarm in the coming days?

11 November 2016
Originally Posted by Blinny: Any thoughts from demo users so far (other than the duration which I don't think is a big deal, and the watermark, which I agree is a little annoying if the demo is time-limited)? About to download it myself but surprised there aren't more comments so far.

Insydium: will this product be offered at ToolFarm in the coming days?

On my Mac Pro Dual AMD Firepros it's not great or should I say underwhelming. I had lots of crashes to start but they ceased after a few goes. This is normal behaviour I believe. Once up and running however it seems fine and is quite fluid in the viewport with CPU turned on. With GPU it makes really very little difference even with the 2 cards and I get longer render times if I try and use the graphics cards to render. Actually I was trying to test that unscientific analysis but when I changed the kernel type to default Cinema beach balled and I had to force quit.

I was able to get some decent noise less renders with render setting adjustments, but perhaps some presets would be good so we could get an idea of what to expect in terms of render times with expertly tuned settings. Obviously it's scene dependant but starting from scratch is daunting.

I love the node system, but for instance with curves it took me a while to get that you actually use the curve editor in a different pane rather than the one in the node editor. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but this threw me for a bit. It would be nice to have ways that we can mix materials together for instance having blend modes. The mix node only mixes between shaders with a normal blend.

It's early days but as per usual with Mac's I think it's becoming less and less of a 3D tool. The graphics cards give no benefit that I could feel, and in fact when I first used them it was like treacle.

Please don't get me wrong. I think Insydium is a terrific company and they have done a stella job porting the cycles renderer. I just don't think I have the hardware that really makes it sing. I was really looking forward to this but nothing here sets my boat afloat. Will give some more goes and see if things improve.

Richard

11 November 2016
I had the same experience as above, with Cycles running on my 2013 Mac Pro 8-core with dual D700s. The CPU render is actually faster than anything with the D700s. And as the manual says, I did switch the block size to 256 when using the GPUs. That did help, but my tests were still a lot faster with the CPU. Cycles seems great, it's the Mac Pro that is a letdown. I was hoping that Cycles would be a good solution alternative to Octane or Arnold. Cycles on the CPU seems pretty comparable to Arnold, in terms of render speed vs the quality that I'd expect. The GPU option probably isn't useable for me in production at this point due to the shortcomings of Open CL or the D700s.

11 November 2016
I tried the demo on my 12-core Mac Pro with a GTX980Ti and runs like dog, very slow and super crash-prone. Octane and Thea both run perfectly fine, so not sure what's up.

reply share thread