New in Cinema 4D Release 18

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

07 July 2016
Quaternion, parent constraint workflow, and object tracking made my day Knife tool looks very promising as well.

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by rsquires: Fantastic example. What was that running on computer wise. Bit fearful for viewport performance on Mac as AMD is never quite as good as Nvidia GPU performance.

I Captured this on a New MacPro with AMD D700. :-). But this File also Runs smoothly on my MacBook.
SSAO does not cost much performance. Also Reflectance is not expensive. Tessellation can get slow with many Samples. But for a nice viewport its enough to use 16-32 Samples which works smoothly. For Hardwarerenderings you can always crank up samples to get a smooth result.

I really Love to see more and more usage of my AMD Cards :-). And thats just the beginning GPU wise. As MAXONS CLientbase is 50% on Mac I think they don't neglect that area.
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

07 July 2016
All right I've been waiting all day to get home and post this: MAXON this is a very solid update overall and depending on who you are potentially a fantastic update. Many direct requests were addressed, though it's important people understand this Viewport update is NOT really about performance. It's about added capability for displaying things it couldn't display before (as I understand it). All of these things were mentioned many times in the last year or so:

•MoGraph enhancements

•Substance integration / advanced materials integration

•OpenSubDiv support

•Improvements to Reflectance's wonky workflow (I bet Vozzz is happy about those —*he was the first person I thought of when I saw that information / watched the video).

•Continued updates to the modelling tools (Cut tools look very slick).

•There also appear to be some Team Rendering type improvements though no idea if they address teh weaknesses people are concerned about. I've never used that tech myself / don't follow too closely.

So the uber-Viewport performance upgrade is still outstanding and really, not that big of a surprise considering it's likely a monumental task. I don't think anyone expected it this release. At least no one who understands software development at an even basic level. But I can see what I assume to be the benefits of that updated core starting to appear. It's encouraging. So good on you, MAXON. Keep up the great work.

ALSO: nice web site upgrade!

ONE CLARIFICATION: Do I understand this text....
Quote: From July 25 through August 31, 2016 all new and existing customers will be given the MAXON Service Agreement (MSA) at no extra charge for an entire year with their purchase of or upgrade to a full version of Cinema 4D R17. MAXON will automatically reduce the software price accordingly, which means you can get ahead of the competition

...to mean that if tomorrow I pay $995 for my R17 upgrade, I'll get R17, and in a month+ R18, and also have MSA until a year from tomorrow for R19 (assuming it's called R19)? If so that's a helluva deal and fully addresses any upgrade tier concerns I had under the current situation.

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by AdsovonMelk: Creating this awesome procedural fracturing object while not creating dynamic physics constraints is a sin Maxon.
Everything is created from porcelain in the world of mograph I guess.

With the core rewrite let's hope a new dynamics engine will be part of a next release.

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by Edo75: With the core rewrite let's hope a new dynamics engine will be part of a next release.

This was the one thing about the MoGraph stuff I was a little bummed about but you can't have everything in a single release. If R19 brings an uber-viewport and a new dynamics engine that alone would be fantastic.

07 July 2016
Quote: ...to mean that if tomorrow I pay $995 for my R17 upgrade, I'll get R17, and in a month+ R18, and also have MSA until a year from tomorrow for R19 (assuming it's called R19)? If so that's a helluva deal and fully addresses any upgrade tier concerns I had under the current situation.

I'm not a Maxon employee, so this isn't official - but I'd say that you'd have R17 & R18, but your MSA would expire before R19.

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by rsquires: GPU Tesselation in Viewport 😀

Nice work Maxon

PS I see there's still no love for UV tools in C4D. Oh well

Well, we know via the blog that BodyPaint updates are in the pipeline and set to release during the R18 cycle, and while the tech preview was focused on painting, I have to believe that there will be at least SOME UV tool updates as a part of it.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by Blinny: This was the one thing about the MoGraph stuff I was a little bummed about but you can't have everything in a single release. If R19 brings an uber-viewport and a new dynamics engine that alone would be fantastic.

Rick B and Paul B mentioned in a Twitter chat late last year that a new / unified dynamics system was on the schedule for within the next few releases or so, maybe suggesting R19 or 20. R18 looks very impressive to me.

07 July 2016
so.. the million dollar question.. who do I need to bribe in order to start playing with r18 right now?
Former gf: XSI

07 July 2016
double post / maintenance pwned. Mod can delete.

Last edited by Blinny : 07 July 2016 at 04:02 AM.

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: I'm not a Maxon employee, so this isn't official - but I'd say that you'd have R17 & R18, but your MSA would expire before R19.

It all depends on when it's announced / released, right? There's always that grey area of "well if you buy on Aug 25, and they they announce R19 50 weeks later (within a year) but don't release till week 53 (more than a year), does that mean a person is out of luck or that they're covered? I've heard that story told both ways numerous times so I don't know what the answer is...

...but the way I'm reading that announcement it sounds like the MSA carries for a year, that the intention is the same as if you purchased C4D for the first time this year. Although it does seem possible with the Body Paint comments that there will be an interim release (more than just a bug fix) with some new features -- possibly more than just BodyPaint? -- sometime in the next few months. So maybe their intention is to make sure people are covered for that but not R19.

I don't really know and it always confuses me so that's why I ask. Especially since this MSA they seem to be cutting people some slack.

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by HolgerBiebrach: I Captured this on a New MacPro with AMD D700. :-). But this File also Runs smoothly on my MacBook.
SSAO does not cost much performance. Also Reflectance is not expensive. Tessellation can get slow with many Samples. But for a nice viewport its enough to use 16-32 Samples which works smoothly. For Hardwarerenderings you can always crank up samples to get a smooth result.

I really Love to see more and more usage of my AMD Cards :-). And thats just the beginning GPU wise. As MAXONS CLientbase is 50% on Mac I think they don't neglect that area.

That's really good to know Holger. I too am sad for my underused GPU's in my older Mac Pro Vader Bin. This gives me great cheer.

07 July 2016
Did some more reading on Maxon's very nicely redesigned site, watched some lovely clips including the pretty astounding Versus and Making of Versus.

Very happy with R18

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by HolgerBiebrach: I made a Clip where you can see R18 Viewport in Action:
https://youtu.be/ioYgEakDkJY

This makes me almost giddy.

07 July 2016
nice... a little bit of everything... especially thrilled about the viewport, mograph stuff and new parent constraint... one question about the viewport: does it now also display cel shaders better, do they react to light sources as well now?

reply share thread