New in Cinema 4D Release 18

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by wbj: Please make sure you apply the workaround for the NVIDIA driver bug introduced with R17 SP2 (your submitted crashes had been without the workaround enabled).

Best regards,

Wilfried

Hey wbj,

thanks for looking it up

yes I had the crashes, then used the workaround, but It didn't help.

Then I reinstalled c4d as well as the drivers. that helped and it is better now, but not like R15.

Didn't send in the crashes though.

best regards
Jops

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by visualride: Any Python updates??

Yes, quite a few. I don't want to steal the SDK team's thunder, but I'll brag on them a bit - they've ported quite a few functions that were previously C++ to Python and a lot of the new features offer a Python API. What's even better, they've created some great, practical code samples showing how to utilize the new classes and methods.

I'll show this in a Quicktip next week, but the Color Swatches now have both C++ and Python interfaces. We've already tweaked CV-SwIm to provide Adobe Swatch Exchange import for R18 and also do some of the SwIm magic on selected swatches (ie create gradients and multishaders). Basically, I was able to just copy and paste a couple of code snippets from the new SDK to make it all work in R18.

Last edited by RickBarrett : 07 July 2016 at 07:50 PM.

07 July 2016
The material editor does have a node editor or still "traditional one" ?

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by jojo1975: The material editor does have a node editor or still "traditional one" ?

Haha, it should be in the headlines... So my guess is NO!

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by jojo1975: The material editor does have a node editor or still "traditional one" ?

This would indeed be in the headlines

But there have been quite some improvements to the material editor:
- new parallax mapping options in the bump channel
- viewport options for reflections/tessellation
- and, which will probably be the most important improvement for many users: you can now edit similar reflectance channels of multiple materials at once.

07 July 2016
Its a solid update, they havent gone for big headline grabbing things in R18 but theres a good amount for pretty much everyone in there. My personal highlights are the mograph push apart effector, this will make so many annoying scenarios no longer annoying. Realtime SS ambient occlusion in the viewport makes getting a sense of depth much easier, and the realtime display of reflections (and blurry reflections!) helps eradicate all those black objects you hate seeing; and the fracturing is always fun.

07 July 2016
Here is some Images I made with the new Viewport Options: SSAO, Reflections and GPU Tessellation:

www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

07 July 2016
I made a Clip where you can see R18 Viewport in Action:
https://youtu.be/ioYgEakDkJY
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

07 July 2016
The New ThinFilmShader is so great. Makes so many surfaces look much more convincing. Its not only good for Oil and soap bubbles. Basically any Metal material can be more convincing with it. I rendered this Leather with thinFilm shader. And the best thing is that its not adding much render time.

www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

Last edited by HolgerBiebrach : 07 July 2016 at 08:44 PM.

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by HolgerBiebrach: I made a Clip where you can see R18 Viewport in Action:

Cool. With R23 we have realtime rendering in viewport Any overall performance improvements with generators etc. in editor?

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by Theropoda: - and, which will probably be the most important improvement for many users: you can now edit similar reflectance channels of multiple materials at once.

Wow .. if this works well, together with the new mograph features and materiel enhancements. This is a really fine release.

07 July 2016
I'm interested to learn more about:

- The priority tag
- Set UVW from projection
- The Quaternion rotation setup

07 July 2016
GPU Tesselation in Viewport 😀

Nice work Maxon

PS I see there's still no love for UV tools in C4D. Oh well

07 July 2016
Creating this awesome procedural fracturing object while not creating dynamic physics constraints is a sin Maxon.
Everything is created from porcelain in the world of mograph I guess.

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by HolgerBiebrach: I made a Clip where you can see R18 Viewport in Action:

Fantastic example. What was that running on computer wise. Bit fearful for viewport performance on Mac as AMD is never quite as good as Nvidia GPU performance.

reply share thread