New in Cinema 4D Release 18

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

07 July 2016
Nice! This looks like a pretty exciting release to me. I was on the fence about my MSA but I pulled the trigger this morning. Can't wait to play with the new Mograph tools.

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by Cineversity: No UDIM-specific additions to the best of my knowledge.

thanks for the info

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by RickBarrett: The plugin that was available previously has been fully integrated with stability & usability enhancements. You don't need the separate plugin - everything is built-in.

Excellent news. Just signed up for the Substance rent-to-buy option and am pretty impressed with the system so far. Be nice to have it closely integrated within C4D (even though the plugin seems pretty solid).

Having just sat that through all the CV vids, I can happily say I am really pleased with this release. Admittedly, there's bit of 3rd-party plugin replication/removal going on, but having fewer plugins is no bad thing.

Object tracking, better 3D viewport, Voronoi shattering, shadow catcher (finally!)Ö all good. Nothing particularly ground-breaking, but it's all nice, solid stuff that seems to have been implemented thoughtfully.

That's me signed up for another year!

07 July 2016
Also - the new Maxon website (I think it's new?) looks really clean and modern.

07 July 2016
I'd like to know more about the reflection preview, do we get HDR maps reflections, do objects reflect each other, visible lights?

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by laurent: I'd like to know more about the reflection preview, do we get HDR maps reflections, do objects reflect each other, visible lights?

I dont think so, I believe the competition cant do that either without a GPU IPR.
Former gf: XSI

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by luisRiera: I dont think so, I believe the competition cant do that either without a GPU IPR.

Really? HDR light studio does maps and lights without sophisticated GPU. Handy for mood preview.

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by laurent: I'd like to know more about the reflection preview, do we get HDR maps reflections, do objects reflect each other, visible lights?

hi laurent,

it will reflect HDRI maps on a sky object. it will also reflect the physical sky. what it cant do currently is reflect other objects.
when not useing a sky object it uses a default environment map that can be changes to a costom one if desired.
i presonly am loving the new VP stuff.

fotos hochladen

bilder kostenlos

bilder kostenlos hochladen

07 July 2016
Can we now copy and paste reflection settings across multiple materials?

There are no bad keyframes, only misunderstood keyframes.

07 July 2016
Looks like a solid new release. Congrats Maxon.

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by govinda: Can we now copy and paste reflection settings across multiple materials?

yes you can now copy and paste a reflectance layer to multiple selected materials

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by theglenster: it will reflect HDRI maps on a sky object.

Hi Glen, thanks for the response.
If I use 2 sky objects will I get reflections from both? (I'm thinking of pasting HDRs of lights on multiple skies and orientate by rotating the skies)

07 July 2016
From watching a few of the feature videos on Cineversity I'm very excited for this release.

Updates to the knife tool look amazing. Being able to make cuts and modify them interactively is going to make modeling tasks easier. I can't wait to bring these into my workflow.

The new mograph features are awesome too. Finally no more overlapping clones!

Other great things...opensubdiv, substance integration, viewport performance.

Great job Maxon! See you at Siggraph.

07 July 2016
Originally Posted by laurent: Hi Glen, thanks for the response.
If I use 2 sky objects will I get reflections from both? (I'm thinking of pasting HDRs of lights on multiple skies and orientate by rotating the skies)

no, only one sky will reflect at any one time.

07 July 2016
Pretty amazing to hear that C4D will have OpenSubdivs, adaptive subdivision alone is an incredibly useful tool that offers much greater scope for scene optimisation than simple brute-force subdividing every single polygon. Be interesting to hear how it performs..

I'm a bit annoyed tbh as i had actually spent quite a lot of time implementing OSD into my own plugin which has been in development for some time. I have it working on cpu but hit a brick wall trying to leverage C4D's GL stuff as it's so undocumented and clearly not intended for developer access..

reply share thread