MAXON Launches Official Corporate Blog

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2016
A new update in the Maxon blog, in addition to perpetual license a subscription-based one is planned.
http://www.maxon.net/en/news/maxon-...challenges.html

01 January 2016
Glad to hear that they're posting!

That being said, my thread conversation prediction:

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Last edited by LukeLetellier : 01 January 2016 at 02:50 PM.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: Glad to hear that they're posting!

That being said, my thread conversation prediction:

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

The option for a subscription-based licence is a nice move but highly predictable due to the competition. That said I hope the next post will be more about some C4D developments, I think it's what people are really waiting for.

01 January 2016
Relieved that the Perpetual License is staying.
If it went the same way as Adobe I'd stop there and then.
Already saved hundreds in not paying Adobe over the last two years and the software still does 99.9% of what I need it to do.

Choice should remain with the user.

01 January 2016
I think people are quickly overlooking another big thing in that post about the global licensing. That could be pretty good and helpful for large companies with offices in different regions of the world.

01 January 2016
I agree, choice is good. Having said that, I'm quite pleased to hear they are going to offer a subscription-based license. It makes it easier to budget for, and stay current. I had some medical issues crop up last year that prevented me from having a lump sum of $700 for the MSA, so now to upgrade to 17, I will need to pony up $1K and then another $700 to get gull current... that's hard for me to do, but if I could start giving Maxon $50-$60 a month or whatever it is, I could handle that...

Of course if they go all Autodesk and charge north of $100/month, that would be a different story...
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by xfon5168: I think people are quickly overlooking another big thing in that post about the global licensing. That could be pretty good and helpful for large companies with offices in different regions of the world.

That is indeed a nice development, but I don't think it is being overlooked as much as it just isn't relevant to the few of us who have posted our thoughts. It sill no doubt make things much easier for multi-national outfits.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by xfon5168: I think people are quickly overlooking another big thing in that post about the global licensing. That could be pretty good and helpful for large companies with offices in different regions of the world.

Probably because most people work in small/medium companies or are freelances but yeah sure it could be helpful for large ones.

01 January 2016
as much as i hate a forced rental model without choice, I like companies that offer both rental model and perpetual license.
I Think this is beneficial for customers and companies and I hope it will prevail.

01 January 2016
Glad to see a new post. Was getting concerned. As for the subscription aspect, I think that's one additional option that might be useful for some. But it would be a even better if they added a license option like Allegorthmic's license where if you make less than $100K a year or are getting started in the business, the cost of the license drops dramatiicaly. I doubt MAXON would ever have the cahones to try something like this but you never know. Looks like they're open to change, which is good.

Now we see where the rubber meets the road in the year or two ahead.

01 January 2016
The best part of allegorithmic's model is the "rent to own" part. Which is basically fractionned payments/financing where you pay things at your own pace.

Since it's software and not material goods (like a car), it doesn't cost them anything to finance new customers in terms of capital.

Best of both worlds for the customers.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by EricM: The best part of allegorithmic's model is the "rent to own" part. Which is basically fractionned payments/financing where you pay things at your own pace.

Since it's software and not material goods (like a car), it doesn't cost them anything to finance new customers in terms of capital.

Best of both worlds for the customers.

This makes for an interesting model...but also poses some issues.

Lets say that maxon went for $100 a month.
that is 1200 a year.
That means you pay off the sticker price in 3 years.
In that time you would get 3 upgrades at around $600 for an additional $1200
So when you pay off the sticker price...what version do you get? the initial version you purchased or the current version?
This would also be a burn for anyone who ponied up the 3695 at the start.

As their 3 year investment would be 4895, while the subscribers was only 3695.
So does the subscriber then need to provide the remaining 1200 before getting a current perpetual license?

I for one, would support a general price cut in combination with this model to make C4D even more accessible.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by chi: This makes for an interesting model...but also poses some issues.

Lets say that maxon went for $100 a month.
that is 1200 a year.
That means you pay off the sticker price in 3 years.
In that time you would get 3 upgrades at around $600 for an additional $1200
So when you pay off the sticker price...what version do you get? the initial version you purchased or the current version?
This would also be a burn for anyone who ponied up the 3695 at the start.

As their 3 year investment would be 4895, while the subscribers was only 3695.
So does the subscriber then need to provide the remaining 1200 before getting a current perpetual license?

I for one, would support a general price cut in combination with this model to make C4D even more accessible.

The way the Allegorythmic pricing model works is that you own the three products in the 'Live' suite after 16 monthly payments and the version you own is the version that is current as of the final payment. You're eligible at that point for an upgrade payment or to continue your monthly fee (which includes free upgrades). The other great thing with the model is that you can pause the rental at any stage and restart at any future time. That way if you're a student you can potentially make you 16 payments over a e.g. 24 month period (you obviously lose access during those months where you don't pay).

The other important aspects of the Allegorythmic model is that it's $19.99 a month for the product suite if you're an indy producer (company revenue $100K or less) or $64.90 per month if company revenues exceed $100K.

It's all very transparent and there's no issues or complications for the buyer or Allegorythmic.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by jonmoore2: The way the Allegorythmic pricing model works is that you own the three products in the 'Live' suite after 16 monthly payments and the version you own is the version that is current as of the final payment. You're eligible at that point for an upgrade payment or to continue your monthly fee (which includes free upgrades). The other great thing with the model is that you can pause the rental at any stage and restart at any future time. That way if you're a student you can potentially make you 16 payments over a e.g. 24 month period (you obviously lose access during those months where you don't pay).

The other important aspects of the Allegorythmic model is that it's $19.99 a month for the product suite if you're an indy producer (company revenue $100K or less) or $64.90 per month if company revenues exceed $100K.

It's all very transparent and there's no issues or complications for the buyer or Allegorythmic.

I believe his point was that Maxon does upgrades each year. Allegorythmic, doesnt(please correct me if I'm wrong). So the payments you're making are on different versions. So which one would you own? etc. It could get a little whacky is all. I agree it'd be a nice way to do it, but there's some logistics to be figured out.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by jonmoore2: The way the Allegorythmic pricing model works is that you own the three products in the 'Live' suite after 16 monthly payments and the version you own is the version that is current as of the final payment. You're eligible at that point for an upgrade payment or to continue your monthly fee (which includes free upgrades). The other great thing with the model is that you can pause the rental at any stage and restart at any future time. That way if you're a student you can potentially make you 16 payments over a e.g. 24 month period (you obviously lose access during those months where you don't pay).

I'm very clear on how their model works, but I'm simply highlighting how this model can change with a higher price point, since the software is not "paid off" until much later.
that would be that $1200 amount.
Now MAXON can swallow the loss, but then you have customers who feel shafted because the subscribers got the cheaper deal.
Now, if the Subscriber method is cheaper, that means there is no reason to purchase perpetual upfront and most would likely opt for this option (commiting to a software for 3 years for a $1200 savings is a no brainer)...this would mean MAXON takes a $1200 loss per customer.

It would be an awesome move in the DCC market, and create great accessibility to the software...but in the end MAXON is a single product company, and unless you have other sources of income to help float the loss, it would be a tough move to make.

Remember that most of Autodesk's income comes from the CAD market, they could give MAYA et al. away and still make a crapload of cash and be successful.

Adobe took a loss too, but again, they have an immense userbase over many markets, which made the shift easier for them to weather.

Since MAXON has C4D alone, any change in pricing and market share has a direct impact to their overall earnings.
While I can totally see MAXON being able to take the possible hit, I doubt it would be an action the parent Company (VC) would want to see.

Haha, ok, that's a whole lot of ramble...but it's fun to try and rationalize this stuff from the company stand point. Really I have no clue why they make the choices they do, so in this case it's like solving a mystery. (I've been watching too much x-files recently.)

Anyway, I'm really interested to see what the actual plan is.

reply share thread