MAXON Launches Official Corporate Blog

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2015
Originally Posted by imashination: You must understand, young Hobbit, it takes a long time to say anything in Old Entish. And they never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

Hahahahaha....superb Tolkein reference.

At least when the Ents got things rolling they were quite a force! Perhaps Maxon will become a leader in transparency!

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 12 December 2015 at 10:55 PM.

12 December 2015
A forum would be even better.

12 December 2015
....And I think it deserves a link in the front page of Maxon's site.
Or I'm missing something?

12 December 2015
Two pieces of good news in one weekend. Excellent. Thank you MAXON for starting a real effort in this area (by real I mean plainly visible and focused in purpose). Look forward to checking the blog on a weekly basis.

12 December 2015
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: +1

They go to Germany and have a big meeting and announce breakthrough about more communication.

An upcoming blog is promised. Months pass.

They debut a blog with a ground-breaking post...to reiterate that there is blog...and that there will be posts.

Well...I'll continue to hope for the best...

agreed. It's a lot of carrot dangling. They are not exactly showing their glowing ability to ride the cutting edge of user communication, yet.

its like some kind of Monty Python script. They are announcing their, plans to announce an announcement platform, built especially for announcing that they are going to announce things at some point, in the future.

Last edited by tapaul : 12 December 2015 at 09:43 PM.

12 December 2015
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: ...They go to Germany and have a big meeting and announce breakthrough about more communication.

An upcoming blog is promised. Months pass.

They debut a blog with a ground-breaking post...to reiterate that there is blog...and that there will be posts.

Well...I'll continue to hope for the best...

+1
I really can't understand why anyone is applauding this effort by Maxon, it really is pathetic, and it smacks of arrogance and disdain for customers.

Months and months have passed since it was first promised and... what they have delivered is not a 'blog', it is a meaningless, content-free announcement, and Maxon clearly are not listening, there is no provision for comments (even pre-moderated), they clearly are not interested in interacting with their customers.

Unless they make some significant strides very quickly, this is just business-as-usual for Maxon.

12 December 2015
another maxon bashing thread, party hard!

12 December 2015
Originally Posted by BKK-OZ: +1
I really can't understand why anyone is applauding this effort by Maxon, it really is pathetic, and it smacks of arrogance and disdain for customers.

Months and months have passed since it was first promised and... what they have delivered is not a 'blog', it is a meaningless, content-free announcement, and Maxon clearly are not listening, there is no provision for comments (even pre-moderated), they clearly are not interested in interacting with their customers.

Unless they make some significant strides very quickly, this is just business-as-usual for Maxon.

This is a pretty cynical post. What it is exactly that the first blog post should've contained that would've made you happy? Is it "not a blog" because it doesn't look like Wordpress? Personally I don't give damn what it looks like as long as the information is good and frequently updated.

Is it that the first post is "introductory" in nature and not some big secret plan they're working on? Usually when things first happen, there's an introduction.

The only thing I can agree with right now is the comments thing. Any blog must have comments in this context. They can certainly moderate and keep it clean but no comments I agree is something that will have to change with posts 1+n.

Beyond that they can make it look like a MS Word document AFAIC. All I want is good information and not have to wait weeks between updates.

12 December 2015
Originally Posted by Regnas: A forum would be even better.

I agree with this too, but only to the extend that MAXON employees participate regularly and answer questions regularly. Otherwise it's just another forum to keep track of.

12 December 2015
Lightwave did an amazing job of kickstarting their development blog in style:

https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2015/1...ave-philosophy/

Sentence #2 of the blog entry:

Quote: I first want to explain the internal planning and effort that has taken place over roughly the past 4 years.

There are 18 paragraphs after that sentence.

And in the ~3 months since, they've added 8 more blog posts, each of them meaty in nature discussing the upcoming developments of the next Lightwave version, with tons of test renders and the like.

Maxon - this is what we want you to do.

12 December 2015
Originally Posted by Blinny: This is a pretty cynical post. What it is exactly that the first blog post should've contained that would've made you happy? Personally I don't give damn what it looks like as long as the information is good and frequently updated...

...All I want is good information and not have to wait weeks between updates.

Well, so far, you have one post containing zero information, and you have waited months for it.

I don't know why that would make you happy, but if you are, that's fine as far as I am concerned. I am not 'unhappy', because I didn't expect Maxon to come up with anything else. I just don't think Maxon should be praised for this pretty pathetic effort. If that is 'cynical', fine, I am cynical about Maxon's interest in engaging with its customers on-line.

FWIW, AFAIK, BLOGs are typically informal, with fairly frequent postings, and comments are almost always allowed. They are also usually personal in nature, i.e., not 'corporate', and their tone is not stilted. What Maxon have put out does not conform to the typical pattern for a BLOG, at least not the BLOGs I have frequented. I think IceCaveMan's descrption is pretty apt.

12 December 2015
Originally Posted by BKK-OZ: Well, so far, you have one post containing zero information, and you have waited months for it.

Don't be obtuse. By your logic we shouldn't be happy unless the blog came out a week after we asked for it, already full of information. Of course there's not much there right now. It just started. They should be praised for the actual follow-through on their commitment to start a blog. That's all I'm saying thank you for (don't know about anyone else). Now they have to do the hard part and we're all watching, obviously.

It's just a first post. This is the starting line, we start judging it from here not from when we asked for it. There is no standard amount of time to discuss and put a blog together; they're not baking cookies. It took them this long to get started it is what it is. I didn't know if it would take them 6 weeks or 6 months and didn't lose any sleep over it in the interim.

Now that it's out, let's do see what happens. From here it's either deliver or lose everyone's trust. I'm willing to actually see what they do next before passing judgement. Will (all of) you? I don't know about anyone else but I was planning not to judge the thing until there were a minimum of 3 or 4 posts out there (unless the posts take a month each to deliver or some ridiculous length of time). Maybe that's crazy. Personally I'm hoping for something approximate to the Region of Interest blog from AE. It's not a daily thing but every couple weeks (sometimes more sometimes less) they put something new out there. Obviously there's some case study / marketing type posts on Region of Interest and none of us want that on MAXON's blog, but in terms of time to refresh, that seems reasonable to me.

Earlier I said it was good news / excellent, because it is. The wait is over. Now we get to see what they do with this thing. Believe me, if they fill it with marketing crap or feel-good BS that has nothing to do with development plans, road-maps, new integrations that are coming, etc... I'll be the first to hammer them. And delete the link.

Last edited by Blinny : 12 December 2015 at 04:37 AM.

12 December 2015
Originally Posted by Blinny: Don't be obtuse.

Stopped reading there.

If you want to dialogue fine, but if you want to hurl bully-boy insults, I've got better things to do.

12 December 2015
Sounded like a Shawshank reference

link

12 December 2015
Originally Posted by SockGardener: Sounded like a Shawshank reference

link

Yup. That kind of insolent language got poor Andy in a lot of trouble with the warden.

Couple of lessons to be learned there:
1. Don't get yourself arrested falsely for killing your wife
But more importantly...
2. If you do..don't call the corrupt prison warden "obtuse." At least not right in his face.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 12 December 2015 at 05:53 PM.

reply share thread