Cinema 4D R17 announced

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2015
The takes system looks pretty darn nice. I'll have to watch more vids on it, though. I think I'm only just wrapping my head around it.

08 August 2015
I was in this same position last summer - I saw no great advantages in R16, and I could ill afford the £528 MSA at that point in the year. I also considered just dropping the MSA for the year, but discovered it was going to cost me a LOT more to upgrade my R15 in the future, or sillier still, even a day after my MSA expired!

I wished to remain current, and certainly didn't appreciate the penalty of buying the update a little later in the year when I might be able to afford it, so had to swallow and be in debt.

However, I don't really see that much to inspire any kind of renewal right now - even less than in R16 tbh, So I think I might have no choice but to sit this one out, and overpay next time :/

Adam

Originally Posted by Darth Mole: "I asked this same question in this forum 2+ years ago. I was at R14 and wasn't at all interested in upgrading to R15. Not sure if the numbers still hold true, but I was told I'd have to pay retail for the version I skipped + the MSA for the new one. So, back then, to go from R14 to R16 would have cost me $1,595."

Holy shit. That's some barrel they've got us over... But on the other hand, I don't see £450's worth of value in R17 for me personally. I could buy a lot of nice plugins for that.

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

08 August 2015
Could we get an official comment about upgrades from someone from Maxon? If you go to the Maxon site the only upgrade option is from R15 to R16. Is it true that if you don't upgrade from 16 to 17 preferring to wait until 18 (or 19) you'll end up having to pay full retail?

08 August 2015
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: "I asked this same question in this forum 2+ years ago. I was at R14 and wasn't at all interested in upgrading to R15. Not sure if the numbers still hold true, but I was told I'd have to pay retail for the version I skipped + the MSA for the new one. So, back then, to go from R14 to R16 would have cost me $1,595."

Holy shit. That's some barrel they've got us over... But on the other hand, I don't see £450's worth of value in R17 for me personally. I could buy a lot of nice plugins for that.

I think Autodesk is the one in charge of barrels. $2,220 USD a year, if I remember correctly, now that's a barrel.

If the UK also gives Cineversity subscriptions with a new MSA then it makes it a no-brainer to buy a new MSA every year.

08 August 2015
With my local resseller you can upgrade from R14 to R16 (two versions down). It's still more expensive than renewing MSA but possible.

More than two versions down and you can have a competitive sidegrade, a bit cheaper than full retail, but same as you would have coming from Maya, Lightwave, Modo... or C4D lite.

Note: We also get Cineversity accounts now for a year or two with the MSA. I wouldn't say it's a no brainer, but it sweetens the deal a bit.

08 August 2015
I've officially asked the Houdini development question on the C4D section of the SideFx forums, so we'll see what happens.

Its an important question, because SideFx's teaser for Houdini 15 included a reference to Houdini Engine 2.0, and it'd be a pity if we had to wait until September 2016 for that to be integrated into Cinema 4D.

08 August 2015
Not sure why the US Maxonshop only shows are R15 upgrade. There's upgrade prices for at least two versions back. I don't have the pricing handy as I'm not in the office yet, but sales will be happy to clarify.

08 August 2015
Book shelves fucking generator, for every release there should be something something Generator and highlight it, because it's big thing, everyone use it from librarian to vfx artist to politicians.

08 August 2015
Originally Posted by PhoenixCG: I think Autodesk is the one in charge of barrels. $2,220 USD a year, if I remember correctly, now that's a barrel.

If the UK also gives Cineversity subscriptions with a new MSA then it makes it a no-brainer to buy a new MSA every year.

That's true after 4 years. A yearly subscription for Max or Maya (if paid as a full year fee) is $1500 so $4500 for 3 years. Cinema costs $3700 plus the $650 for your 2nd and 3rd years so $5000 total. It's only when you move into your 4th year that the Cinema MSA deal pulls ahead. And, of course, from that point forward you're paying $850 a year more on the Autodesk side.

So, a better deal in the long run but only starting in your 4th year.

08 August 2015
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: I've officially asked the Houdini development question on the C4D section of the SideFx forums, so we'll see what happens.

Its an important question, because SideFx's teaser for Houdini 15 included a reference to Houdini Engine 2.0, and it'd be a pity if we had to wait until September 2016 for that to be integrated into Cinema 4D.

Can you repost the reply somewhere, if or when they do?

08 August 2015
How does adding a few video tutorials make it a 'no-brainer'?

08 August 2015
2015 and no native Spherical Camera?

08 August 2015
Originally Posted by icyBlueCG: Book shelves fucking generator, for every release there should be something something Generator and highlight it, because it's big thing, everyone use it from librarian to vfx artist to politicians.

Please calm down, it's simple asset. I think it was financial help to Greece, nitroman got paid work.

08 August 2015
Maxon's austerity release

Unless I have missed something terribly important r17 is the lightest release in terms of core features I can remember. I do appreciate the importance of integrations such as PRMan, Arnold and Houdini etc but there are still lots of features specific to Cinema that have needed attention for a while and are seriously looking like they won't ever get it.

I skipped r15 because I felt is was a poor release and have postponed r16 until now because the cost of upgrading is so close to moving to an Autodesk subscription. I don't like working in Maya and yes over time it is more expensive but the breadth of features and relative ease of finding work with it make sticking with Cinema a really tough call.

Last year Maxon gave a 25% discount plus free MSA in previous years the discounts were even more generous. The free MSA tends to run out just prior to the following release so is not the bargain it purports to be.

Anyway I have a month to mull over the benefits of sticking with Maxon or moving over to Autodesk. Does not feel like happy days but hey the writing has been on the wall for a while now.

08 August 2015
Looks like there's some nice stuff in there... The new spline tools and colour picker look very nice indeed! Well done guys!

Thread Closed share thread