UHD Monitor With C4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by Jim-H: I've also been looking at moving to 4K or even 5K but don't want a retina style monitor. Looking for a larger native res monitor.

There seem to be two monitors that fit the bill, the Philips 40" mentioned above and the Seiki 40". Have not used either one, and both apparently can have serious issues according to the reviews I've read, and I've read a lot of them. But they are fairly cheap in price for a monitor of that size.

I'll probably wait for someone to make a higher quality version, how about a 5K 50", that would be sweet! That would be enough to go back to a single monitor.

I guess I'm old school enough to have paid thousands of dollars per monitor for
15" 1990's
17" Late 1990's
23" Early 2000's
30" Mid 2000's

So I'm pretty sweet to the idea of paying right around 1k for a 40" monitor. If I didn't have so much business travel lined up I'd be buying one this week. Soon, though. Soon.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: I'm not sure I agree with this advice. I run an obscene amount of plugins and have no problem.

I don't think plugins are the issue so much as OS support and app support and perhaps video drivers.

I didnt say that there is a problem with ALL plugins, I noticed there is a change in the app resolution when I installed TFD, when I uninstalled it the resolution came back to normal.
I am using several other plugins and the problem only happen with TFD.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by okfir: I didnt say that there is a problem with ALL plugins, I noticed there is a change in the app resolution when I installed TFD, when I uninstalled it the resolution came back to normal.
I am using several other plugins and the problem only happen with TFD.

I sure am not trying to invalidate your experiences. Maybe you discovered a real issue. I will just say that I haven't had any display/resolution problems with TFD.

Maybe your mix and match of drivers and versions are different than mine.

For now I will stick by my hunch because plugin vendors typically follow interface guidelines provided by Maxon. At least that's my sense of it.

It's OK for us to disagree.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by raincity: @theglenster - glad to hear your 32" 4K works great after increasing the GUI font size. Do you notice any blurriness inside c4d?

no ive not had any blurring issues. ive read somewhere that clouding/blurring problems on large 4k screens can be curred by going into the monitors menu and changing the displayport version from 1.2 to 1.2.
here is a screenshot of c4d at 4k with larger GUI text.

bild hochladen

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by theglenster: no ive not had any blurring issues. ive read somewhere that clouding/blurring problems on large 4k screens can be curred by going into the monitors menu and changing the displayport version from 1.2 to 1.2.

bild hochladen

You do provoke me to mention cables...in relation to refresh rate and resolution.

With these behemoth monitors you really want the latest DVI or HDMI or MiniPort cable version to ensure that you aren't getting sluggish 30KHZ refresh rate when you can enjoy 60KHZ. Also in some cases you won't get the monitors full resolution w/out the proper type of cable.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by theglenster: no ive not had any blurring issues. ive read somewhere that clouding/blurring problems on large 4k screens can be curred by going into the monitors menu and changing the displayport version from 1.2 to 1.2.

Thanks for the screenshot. Both your model and the interface look great in 4K. I'm now convinced that 4K is the way forward for me.

01 January 2016
Originally Posted by Jim-H: I've also been looking at moving to 4K or even 5K but don't want a retina style monitor. Looking for a larger native res monitor.

There seem to be two monitors that fit the bill, the Philips 40" mentioned above and the Seiki 40". Have not used either one, and both apparently can have serious issues according to the reviews I've read, and I've read a lot of them. But they are fairly cheap in price for a monitor of that size.

I'll probably wait for someone to make a higher quality version, how about a 5K 50", that would be sweet! That would be enough to go back to a single monitor.

I always had 2 or 3 monitor rigs. I just switched to mac and now have a 27 Retina iMac with a 34" LG on the side. For me, it is the perfect solution. The LG has Thunderbolt connection and works good as an USB-hub. For the price point, it has really good colors and is good enough for my rendering, compositing and editing.

Some weeks ago I purchased the 40 " Phillips, but more for fun and gaming on my old PC workstation. It is also fun to model on this big screen with cinema. But colors are really bad on this display.

What I liked on the LG and the Phillips was the "no need for scaling". 4K on a monitor under 34" in size makes no sense to me. The Retina-Display with a pure scaling of 2 is the big exception. It is better than any screen I have ever seen in my live.

01 January 2016
I work on this and it is freaking perfect (the LG 34 inch, 2560x1080 LED IPS):

It is only 2560x1080. Meaning there are no scaling and performance issues, yet the monitor is so wide you can easily run 2 windows next to eachother without feeling impaired. It also saved me a bit of money because I wanted a dual monitor setup, don't need 2 of these now .

It cost me $380 new. It is also IPS and has 106%RGB rendition.

Good luck in finding your best choice!

01 January 2016

bild hochladen

If you use Displayport 1.2.
Adjust Your shortcut properties (See attach files )
and then increase c4d ui font size in c4d-preference
Attached Images
File Type: png dpi.png (39.3 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by avideditor : 01 January 2016 at 02:52 AM.

03 March 2018
2018 year but problem still here !
I have a problem with the 27" 4K display (3840x2160)
After increasing the font size, some interface elements break. For example, sliders, they remain narrow
In C4D all looks small 1 https://drive.google.com/file/d/17l...iew?usp=sharing 2https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r...1jn4JcPEl0QvOew;
or bluryhttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z...1utHi1tVXMtoKh1
Maya works finehttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1l...tFHze3pHh-5D2k1

Last edited by Hanoeee : 03 March 2018 at 12:52 PM.

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by IMPICHMENT: 2018 year but problem still here !
I have a problem with the 27" 4K display (3840x2160)
After increasing the font size, some interface elements break. For example, sliders, they remain narrow
In C4D all look smalehttp://take.ms/6zbUD;http://take.ms/Yv82H or bluryhttp://take.ms/Q7KGf
Maya works finehttp://take.ms/ejdgl

I don't change my font size. But that's me.

Both Mac and Windows have an overall scale option. On my 40" I set the scale of everything to 150%. With my bad eyes that works great. I don't have any problems with the c4d interface though I admit this approach adds a tad of softness to the UI. No bugginess w/this approach.

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: I don't change my font size. But that's me.

Both Mac and Windows have an overall scale option. On my 40" I set the scale of everything to 150%. With my bad eyes that works great. I don't have any problems with the c4d interface though I admit this approach adds a tad of softness to the UI. No bugginess w/this approach.

i uprgraded to a 42" and at 100% everything is cool.
man i love these huge 4k screens! when i look at the 24" next to it i wonder to myself how the hell did i work on that?!!!

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by theglenster: i uprgraded to a 42" and at 100% everything is cool.
man i love these huge 4k screens! when i look at the 24" next to it i wonder to myself how the hell did i work on that?!!!
I've been working on a 20 "screen for the past 5 years and now I've purchased a 27" 4K monitor and it seems to me huge ))
This monitor is very similar to retina displaysPixel size 155 μm Pixel Density (ppi) 163 ppi
The 40 "display has a resolution of 3840x2160 then its pixel density does not provide sufficient image quality.
If you allow the system to scale, then the C4D interface blurs, and the Maya 2017 interface looks great.I do not understand how this happens, for 4K retina displays Mac interface C4D looks great.
P.SI corrected the links to the screenshots that were in my previous comments.

Last edited by Hanoeee : 03 March 2018 at 06:39 PM.

reply share thread