Can I get my C4D v15 layers into Photoshop CC Layers?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 05 May 2014   #1
Can I get my C4D v15 layers into Photoshop CC Layers?

Hi all, quick question here: I have structured my C4D file using the Layers Manager, but when I do a save as of a render into Photoshop I am not getting the structure of layers there. Is this possible? Currently I get a flattened photoshop file no matter what I try. Well, thx a bunch!

Old 05 May 2014   #2
Scene layers have nothing to do with that. that's what the Multipass stuff in the Render settings is for. Refer to the help files.

Mylenium

Old 05 May 2014   #3
Yeah theres been a mix up somewhere. The layer system in c4d is purely a 3d scene organisation tool, it has absolutely nothing to do with exporting PSD files into photoshop.

The multipass feature in c4d will export different parts of the images (reflections, shadows, lights etc) onto different layers. You'll need to read up on the 'object buffer' feature of the compositing tag in conjunction with multipass.

Old 05 May 2014   #4
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by imashination: Yeah theres been a mix up somewhere. The layer system in c4d is purely a 3d scene organisation tool, it has absolutely nothing to do with exporting PSD files into photoshop.

The multipass feature in c4d will export different parts of the images (reflections, shadows, lights etc) onto different layers. You'll need to read up on the 'object buffer' feature of the compositing tag in conjunction with multipass.

Thx! I guess someone would have to write a plugin or app then to do what I would like c4D to do then - organize the PSD based on the structure in Objects pane

But now that I understand multipass and can get layers, all is well. I just wish I could figure out how to get the same results as I can get by exporting to .png, but within a save to PSD. That's all I really want now.

Old 05 May 2014   #5
Originally Posted by herojig: Thx! I guess someone would have to write a plugin or app then to do what I would like c4D to do then - organize the PSD based on the structure in Objects pane

Right, well the problem with that is, the structure in the Objects Manager has no bearing on the appearance of the objects themselves as would be the case in a 2D - layer based program like Photoshop or After Effects. In Cinema, for example, putting a cube underneath a sphere in the OM doesn't make the cube appear as though it is behind said sphere. Instead, this is achieved by actually moving the cube to a set of coordinates that physically places the cube behind the sphere. It's a different paradigm entirely and you'd be best served not trying to apply the rules of PS to C4D, as it will result in much frustration.

The only aspect of C4D you'll be taking to Photoshop will be the final render itself. Multi-Pass output will allow you to have layers with individual control over any thing you include in the multi-pass - although that information must be present in your scene. If, for instance, you have no materials in your scene with the reflection channel on, the output of the Material Reflection pass would have no information, and as such there is no reason to enable it. Further, using object buffers with your multi pass will allow you to have individual control over objects in your scene. For example, if you have a cube that's blue, but the client decide it needs to be red, you can use the object buffer of the cube to isolate it, and then use the material color pass to change it's color - while not affecting other passes (such as reflection or specular) without having to do a whole new render.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 05 May 2014   #6
Originally Posted by GruvDOne: ... without having to do a whole new render.

Thx for all that GruvDOne... very helpful and it's all coming back to me now - I used to do all of this a few years back, but I got the hymers and had forgotten everything.

But I am off and rendering now and realize that some things remain the same, ie. how bad is VUE xstream!

Here is my problem, and I should just do a new thread although I don't think it's fixable:
Mixing objects & scenes from VUE with C4D and objects from Interposer Pro in the C4D space does not seem to work very well.

So for 2014, I want to take a different approach... find a way to create as rich of a mix of atmosphere, terrain, plants, etc. WITHOUT using the VUE plug-in. Is that possible in C4D? I see that V15 has more than V13 in this regard, but I just don't know how to do that (yet).

Basically, I've been taking scenes from VUE, importing to C4D, adding objects from DAZ/Poser runtimes, and manipulating the mix in C4D, then rendering. I'd like to be able to do the same thing, but without upgrading to VUE 2014 (I have V10 now). Is that even possible somehow?

Thx!

reply share thread