Xpresso tag, use current object for variables?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

05 May 2014
Xpresso tag, use current object for variables?

Right now, I have an Xpresso tag on an Extrude object. It's taking the Extrude depth (Movement Z), dividing it by half and moving the object in Z space by that amount. (So the extrude is centered on the X axis no matter the thickness).

Is there any way to tell Xpresso to use the object that the tag is applied to for the variables (Movement Z and Position Z)? Right now, it seems I have to modify each Xpresso tag so that it refers to each specific extrude object.

05 May 2014
Take a look at the reference setting for the object node.
What you are looking for is "Use Start Position". This will make the node reference the object it is on, regardless where you copy or move it. You can do the same by setting this to "Relative" and leaving the path empty.

05 May 2014
Never knew that existed! Works perfectly! Thank you!

05 May 2014
This tutorial demonstrates how to use relative linking in Xpresso.

http://www.helloluxx.com/tutorials/...o-in-cinema-4d/

cheers
Tim
Professional MoGraph & VFX Training

@helloluxx
facebook

05 May 2014
Tim, I always learn something within a few minutes of your tutorials, and it's usual something awesome I wasn't even trying to learn by watching your tutorials! Ha!
What.... show sub-channels?? How have I never used that... no more blowing away zero tracks keyed in vector data sets! I'll just not create the zero tracks to begin with now, thanks!

Suppose maybe someday I'll have to familiarize myself with all the C4D interface options I always look through... now that I'm getting old...and stuck in my ways.

All my favorites ~ Cinema 4D R13, After Effects, Photoshop CS5, Lightroom, Photomatic

reply share thread