Solid Angle Arnold goes live - C4DtoA Information Thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 01 January 2014   #46
yes I was surprised to see that the single seat was in the 'affordable' range which is great. But unless you are a large studio that is quite an investment for each render node - probably the same price as many peoples nodes itself. Also the fact its tied to a network so it would seem that you would need to buy one for your workstation and one for your laptop if your away from the office is that correct?

Old 01 January 2014   #47
Originally Posted by rob rhodes: probably

I would contact Solid Angle about their offers if you plan to buy several licenses.
I can't reply on these assumptions

Old 01 January 2014   #48
Originally Posted by rob rhodes: yes I was surprised to see that the single seat was in the 'affordable' range which is great. But unless you are a large studio that is quite an investment for each render node - probably the same price as many peoples nodes itself. Also the fact its tied to a network so it would seem that you would need to buy one for your workstation and one for your laptop if your away from the office is that correct?
It seems that they really want to keep small shops and freelancers out. If you read the pricing information you could find this:

"For permanent license sales there is a minimum order of 5. We will soon lift this restriction."

Thats the reason I was asking about distributed rendering. As a "one man circus" I have to buy 5 licenses anyway and to get the most out of that 5000 € investment I really like to use that licenses for more then just final render.

BTW, I will have to ask Quakemarine from Rebus when he invest a million to support Arnold on his renderfarm!

After all that, I think I don´t need Arnold so badly anymore...

Regards
Claus

Old 01 January 2014   #49
As I know many Studios already adopted Arnold for their major pipeline, I believe their pricing system is fairly calculated.
For sure Arnold doesn't make sense for everybody (yet).
But pricing policy discussion isn't part of my intention to enforce in this thread

Old 01 January 2014   #50
Rebus support Arnold yet ... for Xsi and Maya ;-)

Old 01 January 2014   #51
Originally Posted by QuakeMarine1: Rebus support Arnold yet ... for Xsi and Maya ;-)

XSI or Maya doesnt matter, Arnold core is the same so C4DtoA will be usable as well

New AiSkin implemented now with some shader/texture inputs already...

Last edited by uglykids : 01 January 2014 at 11:01 PM.

Old 01 January 2014   #52
Still tweaking the settings and scenario to check the overall workability so far..

Old 01 January 2014   #53
Is that a pure light pass, or a simple render comparison between the SSS shader and a neutral one?
Looks very good, in any case.

Old 01 January 2014   #54
Yes these are amazing examples. Do you have any architectural scenes? Understandably there are a lot of fantastic organic examples here and on the solid angle site but not much in the way of buildings or environments. Would be great to see some more of these if you have any but i understand you might be focusing on different areas at the moment.

Cheers

Old 01 January 2014   #55
Originally Posted by fluffouille: Is that a pure light pass, or a simple render comparison between the SSS shader and a neutral one?
Looks very good, in any case.

Well the left is the full render and the right is just a plain white diffuse to show the light only.

Originally Posted by rob rhodes: Do you have any architectural scenes? Understandably there are a lot of fantastic organic examples here and on the solid angle site but not much in the way of buildings or environments. Would be great to see some more of these if you have any but i understand you might be focusing on different areas at the moment.

Cheers

I don't have anykind of these scenes at hand right now but will see if I can come up with some test the coming days. Although I don't see this thread as a general "look what Arnold can do" but rather a progress/info thread on the C4DtoA bridge itself.

There are plenty of examples on the Solid Angle page on Environments and some interiors btw.

Last edited by uglykids : 01 January 2014 at 02:09 PM.

Old 01 January 2014   #56
Originally Posted by uglykids: Well the left is the full render and the right is just a plain white diffuse to show the light only.

Thanks, I was mostly asking to see if the multipass system was in place (I'm especially interested in the deep compositing side of it).

Old 01 January 2014   #57
Originally Posted by fluffouille: Thanks, I was mostly asking to see if the multipass system was in place (I'm especially interested in the deep compositing side of it).

Will be of course

Old 01 January 2014   #58
Quote: Originally Posted by rob rhodes
Do you have any architectural scenes? Understandably there are a lot of fantastic organic examples here and on the solid angle site but not much in the way of buildings or environments. Would be great to see some more of these if you have any but i understand you might be focusing on different areas at the moment.
Cheers

Originally Posted by uglykids: I don't have anykind of these scenes at hand right now but will see if I can come up with some test the coming days. Although I don't see this thread as a general "look what Arnold can do" but rather a progress/info thread on the C4DtoA bridge itself.

There are plenty of examples on the Solid Angle page on Environments and some interiors btw.

Hi
You can to try to render sample files from content of c4d, Red Room or bridge with IBL and Phys.DoF

From my experience, and SA is positioning Arni as replacement of Renderman - it's for cinema production mostly(more nodes of render-farm for quick output).

I like idea ARGI + Phys.DoF+MB, closer to arni workflow in ADSI(plus mental-ray)

Last edited by ilay : 01 January 2014 at 03:47 PM.

Old 01 January 2014   #59
"Interior" scene with one pointlight outside and some AOV examples..

Old 01 January 2014   #60
Very nice, thanks for the screenshot.

Do you plan on supporting antialiased Object ID passes as well?

reply share thread