uglykids
Expert

portfolio
Daniel Hennies
Digital Artist
Uglykids
Munich, Germany

Solid Angle Arnold goes live - C4DtoA Information Thread

Hey there, this is Daniel from Ugly Kids.

As some of you might have seen during the last months, we have been working on a sophisticated bridge to support the Arnold Render engine inside Cinema 4D.

Today Solid Angle lifted the curtains and finally opens up the access to Arnold:

https://www.solidangle.com/

We are very excited about this step from Solid Angle, and our C4DtoA plugin is working pretty good already, we support Windows and OSX btw.
I will use this thread to keep you updated on the progress, state and give feedback on your input and questions.

Cheers

Daniel

www.uglykids.org

Old 01-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
ilay
Lord of the posts
Ilay
Engineer
Kazakhstan

Hello Daniel
Thats nice! Hope it will not have same "road-show" and end of TB Krakatoa "free" port.

Daniel, i just dowload sdk, have you support extensions as fluid dynamics(i saw your test with xp and tfd), navie effex?!
And shader extensions as custom pyAPI-based?

Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
flingster
cinema fan

flingster.
Sheffield, United Kingdom

please keep us updated with your news

Henry Moore

Old 01-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
uglykids
Expert

portfolio
Daniel Hennies
Digital Artist
Uglykids
Munich, Germany

Some screens from several tests during development and production with C4DtoA.

Don't mind the quality or sampling levels, these were quick tests mainly to check on different issues/feature implementations and proper value transformations.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
noseman
3D nosey

Athanasios Pozantzis
C4D Evangelist & fanboy - Certified C4D Trainer
Noseman productions
Toronto, Canada

Hi Daniel,
one question. How fast is it compared to C4D physical or Vray?
Just a ballpark... same, faster, slower, would do.
Thanks

Old 01-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #6
sandidolsak
Expert

portfolio
Sandi Dolšak
CEO / TD
Ratata studio
Ljubljana, Slovenia

I heard it eats buckets like pac-man, nice to see such progress Daniel, keep it up

Old 01-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #7
uglykids
Expert

portfolio
Daniel Hennies
Digital Artist
Uglykids
Munich, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseman
Hi Daniel,
one question. How fast is it compared to C4D physical or Vray?
Just a ballpark... same, faster, slower, would do.
Thanks

Athanasios, its a bit difficult to answer this question in short, but I will try to be as "unbiased" (literally) as possible: Arnold can be faster than Physical or Vray in many situations, not only considering the actual render performance but also the quite easy and convenient way to actually setup and tweak scenes.

However, due to the physical based and "brute force" nature of Arnold, there are cases where either Physical or Vray have their strike, especially when you can rule out certain accuracy in GI, overall physical plausible behaviour and such.

There will be other opinions, depending on personal experiences and expectations which vary greatly.

On a side-note, there certainly is a reason for so many people/companies/productions/agencies switching to Arnold in the blink of an eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandidolsak
I heard it eats buckets like pac-man, nice to see such progress Daniel, keep it up

Thanks, Sandi, yet this pac-man doesn't grow fat and gets slower, whatever you feed him

Old 01-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #8
noseman
3D nosey

Athanasios Pozantzis
C4D Evangelist & fanboy - Certified C4D Trainer
Noseman productions
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglykids
On a side-note, there certainly is a reason for so many people/companies/productions/agencies switching to Arnold in the blink of an eye.

I'm sure they'd do it for the quality, but it's good to know it's fast where it needs to be :-)
thanks for the reply Daniel and keep up the great job.

Last edited by noseman : 01-16-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #9
ilay
Lord of the posts
Ilay
Engineer
Kazakhstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglykids
However, due to the physical based and "brute force" nature of Arnold, there are cases where either Physical or Vray have their strike, especially when you can rule out certain accuracy in GI, overall physical plausible behaviour and such.

I read at several forums, mostly russian, that redshift renderer step over. If choose for outdoor scenes(for matte compositing and painting) redshift as like maxwell, indigo is perfect. For example Redshift is stealing leadership of SItoA. Like Corona for 3dsMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by noseman
How fast is it compared to C4D physical

About current C4D Physical, i don't know for who it was develop?!

Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #10
useruser
Veteran
portfolio
Oli Petz
munich, DE

Thumbs up

at first krakatoa, now arnold... great job daniel!
here is an arnold-render introduction from the developer:

https://vimeo.com/15878348

Old 01-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
uglykids
Expert

portfolio
Daniel Hennies
Digital Artist
Uglykids
Munich, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by useruser
at first krakatoa, now arnold... great job daniel!
here is an arnold-render introduction from the developer:

https://vimeo.com/15878348

Thanks Oli,

there are also several Tutorials for Arnold already, Sphere VFX and FXPHD, as well as NoorFX to name a few offers.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
mism
PRO
Mark Mathieson
3D Artist
GB

Excited to see this thread.

I did the FXPHD Arnold course (using Maya). From everything I've watched I don't think speed was the primary aim for Solid Angle. Arnold is designed to be easy for artists to set up and use and to give feedback quickly, hence its progressive nature. That's not to say that its dumbed down, just that its much more intuitive than VRay (for instance) and doesn't require a team of TDs like RenderMan can.

Daniel, can you tell us a bit about the integration with C4D, its shaders, mograph, motion blur etc?

Old 01-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #13
uglykids
Expert

portfolio
Daniel Hennies
Digital Artist
Uglykids
Munich, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by mism
Excited to see this thread.

I did the FXPHD Arnold course (using Maya). From everything I've watched I don't think speed was the primary aim for Solid Angle. Arnold is designed to be easy for artists to set up and use and to give feedback quickly, hence its progressive nature. That's not to say that its dumbed down, just that its much more intuitive than VRay (for instance) and doesn't require a team of TDs like RenderMan can.

Daniel, can you tell us a bit about the integration with C4D, its shaders, mograph, motion blur etc?

In my experience Arnold is very speedy, considering all the calculations it does in the background.

Well, so far its integrated and working, as Arnold uses own shaders, and needs to bake out other inputs internally, there is no priority yet in supporting the C4D noises for instance ( most shaders have their equivalent in Arnold anyways) Motion Blur works fine, as you can see in one of the top images. Mograph should work as well, maybe not as instances yet in all occasions, but that is on the list then.

I will post some UI peeks later

Last edited by uglykids : 01-17-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #14
ebbmeister
Digital Artist

portfolio
Phil Williams
United Kingdom

Great to see this coming together... yes please to the UI pics.

Do you constantly have to 'destroy scene' for all updates to propagate to the renderer or have you solved this already? Does a scene with heavy geometry load into the renderer as quickly as the standard/built-in renderer?

I'm interested to know how you will continue to finance and support this excellent initiative as I'd like to see it continue. Are Solid Angle supporting your efforts financially, or do you intend to sell the bridge back to them, or will people have to purchase an Arnold license from Solid and the bridge separately from you?

Do you have a rough estimate for release or public beta?

Cheers
Phil

Old 01-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #15
uglykids
Expert

portfolio
Daniel Hennies
Digital Artist
Uglykids
Munich, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbmeister
Great to see this coming together... yes please to the UI pics.

Do you constantly have to 'destroy scene' for all updates to propagate to the renderer or have you solved this already? Does a scene with heavy geometry load into the renderer as quickly as the standard/built-in renderer?

I'm interested to know how you will continue to finance and support this excellent initiative as I'd like to see it continue. Are Solid Angle supporting your efforts financially, or do you intend to sell the bridge back to them, or will people have to purchase an Arnold license from Solid and the bridge separately from you?

Do you have a rough estimate for release or public beta?

Cheers
Phil

UI pics soon, been busy today.

Destruction/breaking SDK support after updates, if you are referring to this, was a problem earlier but shouldn't be in the future, depending also on Solid Angle oc.

Arnold is rendering directly inside Cinema 4D, so yes, the access speeds should be the same like sending it to kick.exe directly.

There are no clear plans about the potential future of this bridge yet. Many options are on the cards. Up till now we developed this solely as a private project independently and not supported by Solid Angle in any financial way.

Sorry, no estimate on the public release yet, but the coming weeks/months will tell, also depends on the actual user demand for C4DtoA, feedback from Solid Angle etc..

Will keep you updated here

cheers

Daniel

reply share thread