New Mac Pro & Cinema 4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 12 December 2013   #46
Why did you delete my answer?

Old 12 December 2013   #47
Originally Posted by fireball101: Hi there,

you are coming to a CG PROFESSIONAL BOARD and you want to know something about Cinema 4d and the new MacPro.
This baby-toilette is BULL..., if you want to hear something positiv about it, please contact the APPLE-Fanboy-Homepage!
The guys from VrayforCinema begin to cry when you talk about this Sh....
The guys from Octane begin to cry when you talk about this Sh...
Almost everybody starts to cry when you talk about this Sh..., especially people working with CINEMA 4d... knowing it`s bottleneck.

I know you are used to talk like this from the German c4d-Board which I left a while ago because of childish comments like this. There is Sexism-Talk and aggressive offensive talking over there. Please let this Forum (I still consider it professional) alone with this Kind of comments.
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

Old 12 December 2013   #48
Ok, i did not want to hurt you.
The new MacPro is not a professional high end workstation anymore.
This is it!

regards my
schnucki putzi

Last edited by fireball101 : 12 December 2013 at 01:40 PM.

Old 12 December 2013   #49
Originally Posted by imashination: Sirio:
I think ThePriest's point was that it contains many forced components that you wouldn't want to copy and mimic when building your own machine for a 3D workstation. For what you get the price is fine, the issue is that it has much stuff you wouldnt care about.

That is probably a very fair comment. Apple forces its users into a one-size-fits-all machine. Problem is that if you want to stay on OSX you have no options. Upgrading the old MacPro, or buy the topdog iMac or the new MacPro. Apple will be able to optimise the OS and their own apps (FCPX, Logic etc) to only this particular setup. So that is an relative advantage.

But I totally agree this new MacPro is totally not the machine I wished for. Staying on OSX leaves me no other choice than to jump in. Although still undecided if it will be the i7 3.5 iMac or the 6-core MacPro.

odo

Old 12 December 2013   #50
Originally Posted by fireball101: Why did you delete my answer?

Your post has not been deleted but marked as offensive, as was your second attempt to post the same thing.
The only thing unprofessional here is your behavior, on request of several users you have been reported to CG Society administration because of this.

Old 12 December 2013   #51
Originally Posted by ooo: But I totally agree this new MacPro is totally not the machine I wished for. Staying on OSX leaves me no other choice than to jump in. Although still undecided if it will be the i7 3.5 iMac or the 6-core MacPro.

odo

We picked up a bunch of maxed out 3.4 i7 iMacs a couple of years ago for the studio and haven't regretted the decision. The viewport performance (via the AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 Mb GPU) is still near the top of most benchmarks and we are just about a pick up a few more of the latest generation (with the Nvidia GPU's) as we don't feel the current Mac Pro fit's our needs. I'm sure Apple will get it right by the 2nd or 3rd generation of this new Mac Pro design but the current model isn't quite hitting the mark for our needs.

jm

Old 12 December 2013   #52
Originally Posted by NateMac: why having 24 computing threads for a piece of software that specifically work exponentially faster with the more cores and threads it has, a bad thing?

Unfortunately that only really applies if the whole package was multi-threaded. Things have definitely improved but for a workstation, I'd take half the cores and double the single core speed any day.

Hopefully we'll see things improve further, but currently, more cores ≠ an exponentially faster experience.

cheers
brasc

Old 12 December 2013   #53
Fireball101, if you have nothing useful or constructive to post, then don't post.

Thanks.

Old 12 December 2013   #54
Originally Posted by Srek: Your post has not been deleted but marked as offensive, as was your second attempt to post the same thing.
The only thing unprofessional here is your behavior, on request of several users you have been reported to CG Society administration because of this.

...reported for WHAT ???

Old 12 December 2013   #55
Originally Posted by jonmoore2: We picked up a bunch of maxed out 3.4 i7 iMacs a couple of years ago for the studio and haven't regretted the decision. The viewport performance (via the AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 Mb GPU) is still near the top of most benchmarks and we are just about a pick up a few more of the latest generation (with the Nvidia GPU's) as we don't feel the current Mac Pro fit's our needs. I'm sure Apple will get it right by the 2nd or 3rd generation of this new Mac Pro design but the current model isn't quite hitting the mark for our needs.

jm

Thanks for that info! So that makes me look at the iMac again. I'll wait a bit for the first users to review the MacPro and decide afterwards I guess.

odo

Update:

Breaking:

Apple® today announced the all-new Mac Pro® will be available to order starting Thursday, December 19.

Last edited by ooo : 12 December 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Old 12 December 2013   #56
All New Mac Pro Available Starting Tomorrow

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/201...g-Tomorrow.html

Originally Posted by Apple Press Info:
CUPERTINO, California―December 18, 2013―Apple® today announced the all-new Mac Pro® will be available to order starting Thursday, December 19. Redesigned from the inside out, the all-new Mac Pro features the latest Intel Xeon processors, dual workstation-class GPUs, PCIe-based flash storage and ultra-fast ECC memory....

Pricing & Availability
The Mac Pro is available with a 3.7 GHz quad-core Intel Xeon E5 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.9 GHz, dual AMD FirePro D300 GPUs with 2GB of VRAM each, 12GB of memory, and 256GB of PCIe-based flash storage starting at $2,999 (US); and with a 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.9 GHz, dual AMD FirePro D500 GPUs with 3GB of VRAM each, 16GB of memory, and 256GB of PCIe-based flash storage starting at $3,999 (US). Configure-to-order options include faster 8-core or 12-core Intel Xeon E5 processors, AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of VRAM, up to 64GB of memory, and up to 1TB of PCIe-based flash storage. Additional technical specifications, configure-to-order options and accessories are available online at www.apple.com/mac-pro.

The all-new Mac Pro will be available to order starting Thursday, December 19 through the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers.

| nate@444studio.com

Old 12 December 2013   #57
Good stuff, looking forward to actual benchmarks.

Old 12 December 2013   #58
Originally Posted by imashination: Sirio:
I think ThePriest's point was that it contains many forced components that you wouldn't want to copy and mimic when building your own machine for a 3D workstation. For what you get the price is fine, the issue is that it has much stuff you wouldnt care about. For example the $1200 on dual fireGL cards... virtually nobody building a 3D system would do that to begin with, theyd get better performance and cuda support by picking a single GF780 for $400.
SSD storage, whilst its nice, changing the load time for c4d or photoshop from 5 seconds down to 2 seconds is really the least of peoples worries, the built in SSD is only going to be large enough for the OS and its apps, so the high speed is never going to be used when actually editing video etc. A nice 3TB fusion drive will be a quarter of the price of a much smaller ssd whilst giving many of the benefits, but thats not an option on the mac because theyve deemed space for a 3.5 drive as not worth it. You also cant get dual cpus as theyve decided you WILL have dual gfx cards instead, even if nobody particularly wants them.

I can agree with some of that, this machine surely have some compromise for today standard regarding some aspect and of course will not fit everybody, every budget and every workflow, but it will not be a terrible machine like someone is describing it. Most of the Adobe software we are using are going to be developed to take advantage of OpenCL as well as Mari and others, so in the near future having two powerful GPU for computing may become very important an very popular. Today CUDA is more mature but it may loose his predominant position soon. Back in the days when Apple departed from PowerPC architecture many people were complaining because they have choose Intel over AMD(that time an Opteron CPU was as fast or faster than a Xeon), well today I'm more than happy about their choice. In the same way maybe in a couple years we well realize that switching from CPU to GPGPU and choosing OpenCL over CUDA was the right choice. We need some perspective before we can judge, time will tell.
About the HD, most of my storage and backup is already on external NAS/DAS, so I don't need much space on my workstation, my 3d files are normally ranging from 200MB to 1GB so a very fast SSD will be very important to me, again this may not fit everyone

Last edited by sirio : 12 December 2013 at 04:07 PM.

Old 12 December 2013   #59
I came the other way around - been a Mac user then I switched to PC. Managed to put together two 16-core Xeons and 3 video cards for a just bit more money than the MacPro in question. It will outperform the 12 core MacPro with ease (note I built it an year ago) From where I stand, a custom build could deliver more raw power which can be easily manged and customized to reflect the dynamically changing evnironment it lives in at any point. Still love the Mac but when I draw the line, effeciency-wise, I'll always go for pure speed rather than the pretty looks. And for less/same money, nobody will argue that I hope. This makes the math pretty easy for me. But hey, each person comes with his own preferences and believes. Probably a Mac is the right choice for you. "Whatever gets the job done" sounds like a fair conclusion.

Old 12 December 2013   #60
Originally Posted by HolgerBiebrach: I know you are used to talk like this from the German c4d-Board which I left a while ago because of childish comments like this. There is Sexism-Talk and aggressive offensive talking over there. Please let this Forum (I still consider it professional) alone with this Kind of comments.

So, bashing the excellent c4d-board here is much more mature. I would appreciate if you could stop that kind of rude behavior in the future too.

Thank you and cheers

celke

reply share thread