Old 12-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #16
NateMac

portfolio
Nate McGraw
Production Plus
Burr Ridge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmoore2
?..One of the core weaknesses (from a personal perspective) of the current Mac Pro is that it only comes with AMD options which makes it useless for the wealth of usable GPU rendering options that are beginning to show some promise. Why Apple can't offer both Nvidia and AMD options at any particular time is beyond me but that's how they've always rolled...

I came to this forum attempting to figure this issue out...
I've been approved to max this baby out when it comes out, but are GPU render solutions the answer? Will going with this Mac Pro be the wrong path?
I haven't had a chance to really give iRay or Octane A thorough chance to prove its self a solution. Or maybe TeamRender will be more refine in R16(hope 15.5)
I would guess that going from a 16 thread 2009 to a 24 thread 2013 will be a worth wild improvement, but the GPU scene is really creeping up fast.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
fireball101
Vietnam Veteran

portfolio
christoph mensak
Architectural Designer
Düsseldorf, Germany

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruvDOne
For those interested in the processor upgrade I spoke of earlier, here is a link:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turn..._Xeon_Processor

LOL

In default of a soul the devil puts up with a fly....

Old 12-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

New custom configuration numbers in from macrumors: Link

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 12-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
shoqman
Frequenter

Obligatory post about how for the same money you can get a PC with 24 actual processors, 48 threads and 96 gigs of RAM. Plus your choice of Nvidia GPU. And massive expandability via the novel "computer case" concept.

Also about how Windows sucks in so many ways compared to OS X. But that mavericks took several steps backward and is becoming more Windows/iOS-dumbed-down all the time.

Rant about the 16-core machine I built being a good trade off of single core speed and multi core rendering speed.

Comment about the new $7000 Mac Pro likely scoring very similarly (though higher, just not as much higher as you'd think) to the 2010 Mac Pro for actual rendering.

Mention my 6k machine's 28 cinebench score (R11.5) or 2500 (R15)

That about sums it up for me.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #20
Cometsoft
Expert

Obligatory yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoqman
Obligatory post about how for the same money you can get a PC with 24 actual processors, 48 threads and 96 gigs of RAM. Plus your choice of Nvidia GPU. And massive expandability via the novel "computer case" concept.

Also about how Windows sucks in so many ways compared to OS X. But that mavericks took several steps backward and is becoming more Windows/iOS-dumbed-down all the time.

Rant about the 16-core machine I built being a good trade off of single core speed and multi core rendering speed.

Comment about the new $7000 Mac Pro likely scoring very similarly (though higher, just not as much higher as you'd think) to the 2010 Mac Pro for actual rendering.

Mention my 6k machine's 28 cinebench score (R11.5) or 2500 (R15)

That about sums it up for me.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
ooo
actually my name is odo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelOtron
New custom configuration numbers in from macrumors: Link

So upgrading from 6 to 8 cores and you loose 1500,- and .5 single CPU. That brings it down to a quad or 6 core for me then.
Not released today it seems, so I guess it will be 2014 before we can actually order one. Will the D700 be a better choice for C4D? Does it have any benefits over the D500?

odo

Old 12-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #22
NWoolridge
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateMac
I came to this forum attempting to figure this issue out...
I've been approved to max this baby out when it comes out, but are GPU render solutions the answer? Will going with this Mac Pro be the wrong path?

To give you the pro-Apple argument: they are betting on OpenCL, which is open-source, will run on any GPU (including mobile GPUs, extra CPUs and other co-processors), and which promises to offer developers much more power and flexibility. CUDA is Nvidia only....

To give you the reality check on that argument: CUDA has mature developer tools and a head-start in the market. It is simpler to implement and works reliably. OpenCL's promise is just that right now. The recently ratified OpenCL 2.0 removes many of the problems with earlier versions of OpenCL, and may spur adoption, but it is very early to say whether it will gain much traction...

So, Apple's making a bet (and trying to give OpenCL a boost by using AMD GPUs), it remains to be seen whether that bet pays off.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #23
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

I feel that the new mac pro's GPU options are built for software that isn't out yet. The last time I took that plunge was into a G5 tower that never really performed all that well, had continuos problems with power supplies and noise, then broke 3 days out of warranty.

Somebody else can be the guinea pig this time. Let me know how it goes!

Old 12-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #24
jonmoore2
Veteran
portfolio
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWoolridge
So, Apple's making a bet (and trying to give OpenCL a boost by using AMD GPUs), it remains to be seen whether that bet pays off.

I'd have to agree with you here and I'm a firm believer that OpenCL will be a viable option in time but not right now and that matters.

This type of decision is often made by Apple when designing new hardware. The whole Thunderbolt decision is very similar. Only now almost three years after Apple first introduced it are we beginning to see affordable peripherals that can take advantage of all Thunderbolt has to offer. And in that time the USB spec has moved on to offer more than Thunderbolt can deliver.

jm

Old 12-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #25
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruvDOne
I had a friend who built a Hackintosh system. Every few weeks or so he has to make BIOS changes... this was awhile back, but the whole issue was tied to the need to emulate EFI. My takeaway was that it's a cool thing for a computer hobbyist to do, and if you like tinkering, you'll have many opportunities, but, I would never employ one in a creative pipeline....

This too is why I am concerned, however I have also seen glowing reviews from at least 3 prominent c4d users who have been using hackintosh machines as their main workstation for quite awhile. I was hoping there might be more here who could share their personal experience (positive or negative). Believe me, I would not make the decision to switch to hackintosh easily, but it could also save me thousands of dollars if it is actually a viable option.

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 12-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #26
jonmoore2
Veteran
portfolio
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelOtron
I was hoping there might be more here who could share their personal experience (positive or negative). Believe me, I would not make the decision to switch to hackintosh easily, but it could also save me thousands of dollars if it is actually a viable option.

We use 'Hackintoshes' at one of our studios as part of a network rendering solution and they've proved themselves to be super reliable. In saying that we have a Class A tech support chap to keep them in good working order. I'm not too sure if I would want a 'Hackintosh' as my main workstation though...

Old 12-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #27
NateMac

portfolio
Nate McGraw
Production Plus
Burr Ridge, USA

I built my media-center PC with Hackintosh approved parts, so when I needed another Mac to Render I had that. But the headache that ensued of sometime multiple day downtime was just to stressful. The smalls error could send the entire machine crashing. This was before R15 and Team Render, so I've simply dumped the Hackintosh for TR.
It's strange when I'm working from home to create on a 09' MacBook Pro from the couch and Render using the Office MacPro and My Media Center PC.

Tip: For anyone building a Hackintosh once you have a 'working' OS and C4D and everything is just how you want it, use SuperDuper and create a Carbon Copy of that hard drive, so when something crashes hard you can get right back up from that CC Drive.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #28
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

Thanks jonmoore2 and gdogfunk for your useful feedback.

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 12-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #29
sirio
Expert
Stefano Strika
architect
rome, Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo
So upgrading from 6 to 8 cores and you loose 1500,- and .5 single CPU. That brings it down to a quad or 6 core for me then.

Not really. Both 4, 6 and 8core version all turbo boost single threat performance to 3.9ghz. You may also want to read this:
http://www.marco.org/2013/11/26/new-mac-pro-cpus
8core is the sweet spot in both single and multithreaded operation. The 12 core doesn't make sense anymore since today you can offload the render power to cheap wintel rendernodes. This is my personal solution:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...11&page=1&pp=15

Last edited by sirio : 12-17-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #30
jonmoore2
Veteran
portfolio
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirio
Not really. Both 4, 6 and 8core version all turbo boost single threat performance to 3.9ghz. You may also want to read this:
http://www.marco.org/2013/11/26/new-mac-pro-cpus
8core is the sweet spot in both single and multithreaded operation. The 12 core doesn't make sense anymore since today you can offload the render power to cheap wintel rendernodes.

Really useful info. Also reminded me to add Marco Arment back into my RSS feed!

jm

reply share thread