0xC0000005 Access Violation - C4D crash

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2013
Question 0xC0000005 Access Violation - C4D crash

Hi -

Is Srek around?

or anyone that can help me with this.

Some pre-cursurs to the issue:

I had a bad install attempt of Net 3 framework a few weeks back. Problem was the with the Win Optimizer etc. Needless to say my system was a mess but, at this point, I think I've fixed most of the issues with WIndows and some that affected AE.

Cleaned up the registry, etc etc. Trying to avoid a total re-install and I think I have it pretty much licked. And now I'm getting into cleaning up any issues I'm having with C4D.

C4D has been crashing a lot on me during renders. And on caching or baking. Mostly on high poly scenes or objects for animation or with some layered and animated materials I've been experimenting with. More so in the past few days than ever.

I took a look at the Bug reports, and all are the same:
A 0xC0000005 Access Violation.

Since I'm not online everyday - were should I look in the bug report to see what is causing the Access Violation so I can fix it.

FYI -
The system:
WinXpSP2
AMD 2100 Dual-Core x2 x64
4gig of Memory.

Net Framework 2.5 I think... been a while since I looked.

Drivers are all up to date.

This system never sees the web. So no virus or malware. Though I did a boot scan just in case.

The Win OS on this comp is highly optimized and stripped down. Way beyond what you'd find on the typical user's comp. 20 gigs of Win crap taken out. Not that it matters but, thought I'd mention it.

It normally runs like a bat out of hell for what it is. And I normally don't see these crashes.

Anyhow If you can direct me as to what to look for in the Bug report - I can get it taken care of.

I'm thinking the exception would be indicated in the next paragraphs after the 0xC0000005 Access Violation is shown. Is this correct?

If not where and what do I look for?

Almost forgot to meniton - I'm using C4D R13

tia
chase

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by chasecanade: I'm thinking the exception would be indicated in the next paragraphs after the 0xC0000005 Access Violation is shown. Is this correct?

If not where and what do I look for?

You need to look a little further down, for the call stacks for any running threads. The exception will tell you which thread caused it, so look for the stack list of that and it is the top one; it will tell you the address for the exception which is then also shown by the stack trace text.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy, am I or are the others crazy?

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by obeardy: You need to look a little further down, for the call stacks for any running threads. The exception will tell you which thread caused it, so look for the stack list of that and it is the top one; it will tell you the address for the exception which is then also shown by the stack trace text.

thanx obeardy - I'll take a look at it tonight.

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

12 December 2013
what video card are you using? if it is ATI they have a habit of not playing nice with C4D and usually you need to have Net 4.0 framework installed.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by unclebob: what video card are you using? if it is ATI they have a habit of not playing nice with C4D and usually you need to have Net 4.0 framework installed.

Been a while since I bought it or looked at it but I'm pretty sure it's an NVidia with 1 gig of mem on it. Over kill for the comp, i knew it when I got it, I do remember that much.

It looks like it's a Kernal32.dll error. Which could be anything really - corrupt dll or a list of other things.

Did a battery of hardware tests over night covering the HD, GPU and Mem. All faired well.
and all fairly new - gpu, mem, hd that is. I could use them in another updated comp as they are beyond this comps max speed.

I'm going to overwrite the Kernal32.dll to eliminate it as a possible cause in case it was corrupted.

Here is the pertainaint info from the C4D Bug report.

ApplicationInfo
{
CINEMA_4D_Version: 13.061
Memory(Global): 689747441
Memory(GlobalPeak): 690183500
Memory(Total): 65832
Memory(Current): 2634
Memory(LowMemCnt): 0
DebugMode: Off

Exception
{
ExceptionNumber = 0xC0000005
ExceptionText = "ACCESS_VIOLATION"
Address = 0x000000000DAAB72F
Thread = 1816
Last_Error = 0x00000000
}
Call_Stacks
{
Call_Stack_Thread_1816
{
advancedrender.cdl64: 000000000DAAB72F
advancedrender.cdl64: 000000000DABB39C
advancedrender.cdl64: 000000000DAB2B22
advancedrender.cdl64: 000000000DA71888
CINEMA 4D 64 Bit.exe: 00000001402E4FD8
CINEMA 4D 64 Bit.exe: 00000001402A8C29
CINEMA 4D 64 Bit.exe: 00000001403BC279
CINEMA 4D 64 Bit.exe: 00000001404A3A7D
CINEMA 4D 64 Bit.exe: 0000000140D4635E
advancedrender.cdl64: 000000000DACECB4
advancedrender.cdl64: 000000000DAC8E1D
advancedrender.cdl64: 000000000DAC284F
advancedrender.cdl64: 000000000DABDFA3
advancedrender.cdl64: 000000000DACF6EF
advancedrender.cdl64: 000000000DB1959A
CINEMA 4D 64 Bit.exe: 0000000140D24C3E
CINEMA 4D 64 Bit.exe: 0000000140D5E798
CINEMA 4D 64 Bit.exe: 0000000140577342
CINEMA 4D 64 Bit.exe: 00000001409DA407
CINEMA 4D 64 Bit.exe: 00000001409DA4D5
kernel32.dll: 0000000077D6B6DA BaseThreadStart
Variables
{
ThreadName = GIThreadRecord
Arg|DocumentOLE|Name =
Arg|GeLoadBitmap|Name =
Arg|GeLoadBitmap|Frame = 0
Arg|GeSaveBitmap|Name =
Arg|LoadDocument|Name =
Arg|LoadDocument|Flags = 0
Arg|RenderDocument|Name =
Arg|RenderDocument|Flags = 0
Arg|CoffeeFile|Name =
Arg|CoffeeLine|Line = 0
}

Could be I didn't allocate enough memory for C4D in the settings perhaps...?

I haven't looked at the C4D settings yet or played with them that much off default. I set the cache to disk I think. Uped the cache size way back.

I've been testing/trouble shooting the hardware and OS for integrity and to see if there were any hidden issues.

Kinda scratching my head right now. Wondering if I may have missed something.
Of course I'll find the problem in the last place I look... lol

chase

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by chasecanade: Exception
{
ExceptionNumber = 0xC0000005
ExceptionText = "ACCESS_VIOLATION"
Thread = 1816
Last_Error = 0x00000000
}
Call_Stacks
{
Call_Stack_Thread_1816
{
advancedrender.cdl64: 000000000DAAB72F

The crash is the advancedrender, the crash address listed is:

which is the first line in the stack above.

You also don't want to mess with the kernel, that is your OS

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by obeardy: The crash is the advancedrender, the crash address listed is:

which is the first line in the stack above.

You also don't want to mess with the kernel, that is your OS

Thanx obeardy,

I agree it's the advance renderer but am I reading it wrong that the 0xC0000005 exception which is usually a memory access error is being caused by a miss handling of the kernal32.dll by the advancerenderer at address 0x000000000DAAB72F?

That's what I was reading into it. ie: a possible corruption of the kernal32.dll.
The kernal32.dll is a shared dll, and with Net 3 install being a bad one, a possible corruption of this dll a possibility. If corrupted, a misshandling would show up.

Wouldn't you agree?
Or am I looking at this wrong?

In looking over all the bug reports I have of the past few weeks - they are all identical.

Any thoughts or advice on a possible resolve? Or steps to take next?

chase

Last edited by chasecanade : 12 December 2013 at 09:30 PM.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by chasecanade: Thanx obeardy,

Any advice on a possible resolve?

chase

Sorry, the only people that can help your are MAXON but as your are on R13 any bug won't be fixed. All you can try and do is find out what in your scene/render triggers is. You could try MAXON support, they may have some idea if R13 had any known render crashes.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by obeardy: Sorry, the only people that can help your are MAXON but as your are on R13 any bug won't be fixed. All you can try and do is find out what in your scene/render triggers is. You could try MAXON support, they may have some idea if R13 had any known render crashes.

Hey thanx - you helped either way.

Maxon only offers support for 12 months past date of purchase. I'm think I'm just a tad past that. lol

I'm going to try a couple things. See if it'll work. I'll get it running smooth again. Always have in the past.

Besides, I've been pushing this comp way past it's prime for a few years now. Looking at upgrading both my comp and Cinema soon. I'm going to hold out till R16 which shouldn't be that far off.

I'll use this comp for 2D or what ever...

Again thanx for the help.

Last edited by chasecanade : 12 December 2013 at 11:28 PM.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by chasecanade: Hey thanx - you helped either way.

Maxon only offers support for 12 months past date of purchase. I'm think I'm just a tad past that. lol

MAXON US does not only offer for 12 months. It's still free support, but like David said, if they can figure out what the issue is, they can't do any sort of bug fix for it. But they may be able to help you sort exactly what's happening.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by xfon5168: MAXON US does not only offer for 12 months. It's still free support, but like David said, if they can figure out what the issue is, they can't do any sort of bug fix for it. But they may be able to help you sort exactly what's happening.

Not trying to argue semantics here, but I think that is what I stated. Though I didn't mention the term "free". And I did understand what David was saying. The key note of my statement is:

Originally Posted by chase: ...I'm think I'm just a tad past that. lol

hence no further support is given.

But thanx anyway for trying to clear up what you thought might be miss-understood.

No biggy, I'll fix it. Always do in the end.

Happy Holidays to you all.

- chase -

Last edited by chasecanade : 12 December 2013 at 07:27 PM.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by chasecanade: Not trying to argue semantics here, but I think that is what I stated. Though I didn't mention the term "free". And I did understand what David was saying. The key note of my statement is:

hence no further support is given.

No Chase, you're miss informed. You can call tech support and they will try help you.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by muckymouse: No Chase, you're miss informed. You can call tech support and they will try help you.

I'm sure they would for a fee. Most will.

I was dupted into that with MS - a month later and discovering $900 tagged onto my credit card. I'll fix it myself with help of forums or do or die coding.

It's been a few years. so I'm not expecting them to do anything.

Here it is in MAXONS own words:

Originally Posted by MAXON: At MAXON we offer FREE technical support for a 12-month period after purchase.

And having been through this with too many apps - and Hardware. When they say 12months it's to the minute.

I just ate $600 from Tiger Direct on HD's going being bad... all of them. They claimed I wa 30 minutes past the exchange time limit.
I challenged them on it and won - but lost the war. A tiny piece of paper that they themselves print out that was inside the package which I didn't have and BAM! They pulled the same crap most do. and I ate all those drives. I almost tossed the drives through their freakin front window I was so pissed.

And all I wanted was an exchange.

Ever try to save 6 terribytes of data with only 4 ter of drive... before they completly die.
It ain't happening! lol - I was scurring for every usb - portable drive I could find. Begging my comp not to let the drives die before I got the data off.

Yeah that was a day to remember...

But thanks - I'm resolved to fixing it myself.
And right now I have another comp - this one playing hell
Wanna tip - DO NOT INSTALL Lavasoft Ad-Aware. For any reason on any computor.

Oh it will install great... it's the uninstall that will get you.
And it has done a major job on my laptop.
I'm lucky to have been able to get online today.
Only took me 5 hrs. Been working on it since 10 this morning.
Longer than 5 hours... its already 4:51pm.

Anyway...

You guys have happy holidays,
I've got more to do here.

Talk later.
chase

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by chasecanade: I'm sure they would for a fee. Most will.

I was dupted into that with MS - a month later and discovering $900 tagged onto my credit card. I'll fix it myself with help of forums or do or die coding.

It's been a few years. so I'm not expecting them to do anything.

You can be stubborn if you like but we're telling you that Maxon US tech support will look at your file and try to reproduce your crash/find the problem, and they wont charge you a fee. It doesn't matter that you're using release 13.

I don't care what you do, it sounds like you have it figured out; Just pointing out that you are mistaken so you don't confuse other people on the forum. I worked in tech support at Maxon.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by chasecanade: Thanx obeardy,

I agree it's the advance renderer but am I reading it wrong that the 0xC0000005 exception which is usually a memory access error is being caused by a miss handling of the kernal32.dll by the advancerenderer at address 0x000000000DAAB72F?

That's what I was reading into it. ie: a possible corruption of the kernal32.dll.
The kernal32.dll is a shared dll, and with Net 3 install being a bad one, a possible corruption of this dll a possibility. If corrupted, a misshandling would show up.

Wouldn't you agree?
Or am I looking at this wrong?

In looking over all the bug reports I have of the past few weeks - they are all identical.

Any thoughts or advice on a possible resolve? Or steps to take next?

chase

If something altered your kernel32.dll, you probably wouldn't be able to use any program. 0x000000000DAAB72F is the address of the called function on the stack, 0xC0000005 is what caused the exception (eg. the program tried to read/write from this address, but the OS didn't allow).

Best,
-Niklas

Thread Closed share thread