V-Ray 1.8 Demos ( C4D )

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2013   #1
V-Ray 1.8 Demos ( C4D )

Hi , its been some time since the release of VRayforC4D 1.8 so thought i would post here on the forum ( there is a more stable release now as a service update )

still exploring the features myself but i had some time also to create small demos highlighting
specific new features ,

the videos are far from prefect ( especially with my rusty English ) but hope they could
help when starting with 1.8

*Links to the videos
Blog Posts on the Site http://goo.gl/WZyo54
YouTube Playlist http://goo.gl/Ve3hO4
Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/channels/606758

Cheers
Josef

Old 12 December 2013   #2
Thanks Josef - these are a big help in working out how to use the new features, would have missed the Directional Area Light if not for these clips!

Especially useful as the Vray4C4D team are obviously too busy themselves to provide any documentation

Looking forward to getting your StudioPro tools back in action too with 1.8, any idea when that might be ready?

Cheers - Chris

Old 12 December 2013   #3
Been eating them up as soon as I've seen them pop up on my Vimeo feed. Thanks so much Josef!

Old 12 December 2013   #4
Yes really good stuff. VRay seems to be getting far more integrated and that can only be a good thing.

Old 12 December 2013   #5
Much appreciated Josef!

Old 12 December 2013   #6
Not that rusty

Originally Posted by c-legend: the videos are far from prefect ( especially with my rusty English ) but hope they could
help when starting with 1.8

Cheers
Josef

English isn't that rusty and these are great examples of the new integration.

Old 12 December 2013   #7
Great tutorials! Thanks.

Old 12 December 2013   #8
Anyone heard information from the recent V-Ray 3.0 conference demos in Russia or from other announcements (AFA when V-Ray 3.0 will be released)? I was searching around on the the V-Ray for C4D and ChaosGroup web sites last night and while the info about the new features is still there and the beta signup, there's still no mention of a release date or time-frame.

Last I saw over the summer it was "late 2013" but maybe things have been delayed some. Also wondering if there's a built in delay for getting V-Ray for C4D after a new Chaos release, or if they work on them more or less concurrently in development.

Old 12 December 2013   #9
From what stefan has said on the Vrayforc4d forum, the "general" release timeframe for Vray 3.0 max/maya was December/January, give or take a month or two. There will probably be a time gap of several months between that release and the C4D one, if only to debug (as the 1.8 debugging process is still ongoing two months after release).

I think it's best for us to get a stable 3.0 release at the get-go rather than go through the growing pains 1.8 went through.

Old 12 December 2013   #10
I tried the C4D native wood texture in Vray 1.8 but that doesn't translate on the fly. Or does it?

I guess I should build it in a Vray Advanced material.

Old 12 December 2013   #11
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: From what stefan has said on the Vrayforc4d forum, the "general" release timeframe for Vray 3.0 max/maya was December/January, give or take a month or two. There will probably be a time gap of several months between that release and the C4D one, if only to debug (as the 1.8 debugging process is still ongoing two months after release).

I think it's best for us to get a stable 3.0 release at the get-go rather than go through the growing pains 1.8 went through.

Good info Luke, thank you. I agree better not to rush it, although technically "debugging" is an ongoing process with every piece of software we use, be it AE or C4D or something else. Always more bugs to fix than the hours in the day permit.

Sounds like this one may end up being released next summer, which is fine for what I'm doing right now. I guess we'll know for sure when they start the "buy version X now and get version 3 / 2 for free when it ships!" campaign.

Meantime learning more facets of the improved C4D renderer. The Physical renderer can do quite a lot if set up correctly.

Old 12 December 2013   #12
Post Soon

Originally Posted by ChrisCousins: Thanks Josef - these are a big help in working out how to use the new features, would have missed the Directional Area Light if not for these clips!

Especially useful as the Vray4C4D team are obviously too busy themselves to provide any documentation

Looking forward to getting your StudioPro tools back in action too with 1.8, any idea when that might be ready?

Cheers - Chris

Thanks Chris ,

the tools are still in the works for 1.8 , we cant yet define a specific time for a release ,

Old 12 December 2013   #13
@ Chris,
Josef makes those videos as part of the VRAYforC4D team,we help him with the infos and he makes the videos of it. he will also make more videos and also example files for you.

regarding vray 3 core questions, the vray 3 core is yet beta and not usable. we hope end of January there will be a usuable v3 sdk.
then we can jump on it (first internal only) due the rewrite we made we can relatively easy adapt to new cores now, so many features come more or less automatic in. things like new speed up in gi and raytracing we can have in one day, others will take a bit longer (like vrmat etc). main thing in works is RT of course.

Stefan
http://rhino.io

Old 12 December 2013   #14
Originally Posted by lllab: @ Chris,
Josef makes those videos as part of the VRAYforC4D team,we help him with the infos and he makes the videos of it. he will also make more videos and also example files for you.

Videos are fine, and Josef does a nice job - but they aren't documentation. Especially with the long gaps between this and 1.2, I'd hoped for something more useful. Bugs, unexpected version changes are of course understandable but this is a different problem, and predictable.

A big feature is DR, but I have to use the VRay shaders of course. So, for example, I look at the 'SurfIncidence' vRay shader, and find 'Inc mode' parameter, set to zero. I want to know, what does this do? What is an appropriate value for it? Just a simple example, but I don't have time to run experiments - or watch hours of video footage - to try to work out what each slider is meant to be doing. Were the VRay shaders changing right up to the release date, so any documentation was impossible?

So I go to dig through the Max files, or try Google - I get a nice piece about the incidence of violence during surfing.

I studied computer programming, back when they were simple enough for someone like me to understand ;-) If I submitted any undocumented work, even if the programme was self-explanatory and worked 100% of the time - I got a flat zero.

I'd give you guys a bit more than that but the lack of documentation is my biggest disappointment with 1.8.

Old 12 December 2013   #15
Thanks, the videos are very helpful.

And I'd second the request for more/better documentation. In my opinion proper documentation is every bit as important as the programming. If it isn't documented, or quite obvious, it might as well not be in there because for practical purposes it isn't useable.

Thread Closed share thread