Have a free Cineversity subscription with your MSA, well kind-of..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11 November 2013   #1
Have a free Cineversity subscription with your MSA, well kind-of..

Got an email from Maxon today to say I have a coupon for a free Cineversity subscription as part of my MSA now (I'm considered in the UK from a licensing POV).

Great I thought, I'll go and check out some tutorials Bret linked to on the Cafe the other day, ie these

But no dice, I get a message - '
This tutorial is available to Cineversity Premium Members.

Upgrade your account today or apply a coupon for immediate access.'


Bummer.... I don't want to seem ungrateful.. but what's the point of giving people some kind of limited access like this ? To tease us into full membership so we can see the tutorials we actually want to? What determines whether a tutorial is 'premium' or not? Is there an upgrade path from 'sort-of-free-but-not-complete-access' to full access ?

Cheers,

Brian
 
Old 11 November 2013   #2
I have had an email from Maxon UK too - this is what they say...

"The code below gives you access to all of Cineversity's training movies for the licence CINEMA 4D Studio R15 (xxxxxxxxxxxx). The only areas you can't access are scripts and plugins."

Doesn't seem to match your experience, but I haven't tried it myself yet.
__________________
:: basilisk ::
 
Old 11 November 2013   #3
I'm not getting access to these vids either. Everything else I've tried works fine. Maybe an oversight somewhere.
__________________
If in doubt scream and shout.

C4D XL, ZBrush, Motion Builder
 
Old 11 November 2013   #4
this is not directly connected to your topic but i dont think i will renew once more cineversity. i want advanced tutorials for my money. the second last "real" tutorial was in may ( Industrial Modeling - Holes Mar 18 2013 ). inbetween there were things like "NAB 2013 Rewind" and "new to c4d" which are available for free. at cineversity start there were regular updates and nice tutorials but last years become very poor. i dont see why i should spend money for this.

Last edited by MAN0 : 11 November 2013 at 07:41 PM.
 
Old 11 November 2013   #5
Originally Posted by Horganovski: Got an email from Maxon today to say I have a coupon for a free Cineversity subscription as part of my MSA now (I'm considered in the UK from a licensing POV).

Great I thought, I'll go and check out some tutorials Bret linked to on the Cafe the other day, ie these

But no dice, I get a message - '
This tutorial is available to Cineversity Premium Members.

Upgrade your account today or apply a coupon for immediate access.'


Bummer.... I don't want to seem ungrateful.. but what's the point of giving people some kind of limited access like this ? To tease us into full membership so we can see the tutorials we actually want to? What determines whether a tutorial is 'premium' or not? Is there an upgrade path from 'sort-of-free-but-not-complete-access' to full access ?

Cheers,

Brian


Brian it sounds more like either you didn't enter the coupon code properly or the site didn't accept it. There is really only two levels, free and premium. I highly doubt they would offer to give you an account you could get for free by visiting the site. Check with who ever gave you the code.
 
Old 11 November 2013   #6
My first instinct would have been to contact my reseller or Maxon, instead of posting here.
Have you tried that?
__________________
One on one Online Instructor for Cinema4D | Visit www.Fluffy4D.com for more info.
 
Old 11 November 2013   #7
Originally Posted by muckymouse: Brian it sounds more like either you didn't enter the coupon code properly or the site didn't accept it. There is really only two levels, free and premium. I highly doubt they would offer to give you an account you could get for free by visiting the site. Check with who ever gave you the code.


Thanks, but going on what Jim said here (and James on the C4DCafe said the same thing), it's not just me, other users in the UK (well technically I live in the EU.. but anyhow..) can't access that tutorial I linked to in my first post here either.

I had the same issue before as when I was part of the Maxon beta, they gave us access to Cineversity for a year but again there were tutorials I couldn't access (it always seemed to be the ones I was most interested in, heh) so I didn't really use it. I didn't complain about that as, well, it did seem more like a free gift for testers but with this being part of the MSA now for UK customers it seems more like a 'paid benefit' so I am keen to know why I can't watch all of the tutorials. I'm not a beginner with C4D so the basic stuff is of little use to me TBH.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 11 November 2013 at 08:06 PM.
 
Old 11 November 2013   #8
Originally Posted by fluffouille: My first instinct would have been to contact my reseller or Maxon, instead of posting here.
Have you tried that?


Not yet, I posted here first to see if it was just me or not, now that I know it's not just me I will raise it with Maxon UK and see what they say.

Edit - just sent an email now, I replied to the one I got about the MSA, which had 'admin' in the email name, not sure if that will be replied to or not or if it's an automated one.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 11 November 2013 at 08:03 PM.
 
Old 11 November 2013   #9
Hi Brian, I got the coupon code today as well.
It looks to me like this is an oversight of some kind because I can access every other 'Premium' tutorial I've clicked on, including other rigging tutorials by Bret Bays. I certainly couldn't access all those things previously with my free account.
I think its either an accident or its locked out because it includes scripts (I don't know if it does, just a guess).
Anyway, I'm pleased to see Maxon UK making the effort to extend us a similar deal as the US MSA customers get.
__________________
Cinema 4D R17 Studio, VRAYforC4D, Z Brush, Mudbox, Photoshop CS6.
 
Old 11 November 2013   #10
Thanks I'm keeping fingers crossed that this one gets labeled as an oversight by the people in charge and resolved as I'd like to check those out.

Cheers,
Brian
 
Old 11 November 2013   #11
Originally Posted by Horganovski: Thanks, but going on what Jim said here (and James on the C4DCafe said the same thing), it's not just me, other users in the UK (well technically I live in the EU.. but anyhow..) can't access that tutorial I linked to in my first post here either.


Yeah it still could be that the coupon either wasn't' entered properly or that the site didn't accept the coupon. Click 'User Home' on the upper left hand side and then let me know what it says under your user name after the words 'Account Level'
 
Old 11 November 2013   #12
My account says Trial but I've been able to access all the premium tutorials that I've tried apart from the ones Brian listed. Must be a box that never got ticked or a button that never got pressed.
__________________
If in doubt scream and shout.

C4D XL, ZBrush, Motion Builder
 
Old 11 November 2013   #13
Same for me, mine says Trial too.

Cheers,
Brian
 
Old 11 November 2013   #14
The coupons UK MSA customers received are classified as trials, which gives access to all Premium tutorials EXCEPT those classified as resources (plugins, scripts). You can see what is classified as a resource by clicking the Resource filter under "Type of Tutorial" in the left bar of the tutorial search page - everything EXCEPT those should be accessible.

The particular series you linked (Bret Bays' Creating a Custom Character Template) was classified as a resource. It really shouldn't have been - the template provided is not as much a resource as it is an example project file. So we've reclassified that series, and you should now be able to access it.

Thanks to muckeymouse for bringing this to my attention - I've been too busy lately to keep an eye on CGTalk and wouldn't have otherwise seen the issue.
 
Old 11 November 2013   #15
Awesome, many thanks Rick, that clarifies things and it's great I can check out those tuts now.

Cheers,
Brian
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.