OS X Mavericks and C4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Dock sucks in Mavericks

No fix as yet to the white background behind the app icons ... previously transparent in 10.8.5.

Plugins like super dock, etc are not yet supported in 10.9

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

10 October 2013
Did anybody already try to use R14 and NET with Mavericks?

thx Odo

10 October 2013
Hello everyone. New here so hope I don't interrupt your conversation too much.

I frequent another forum with some very knowledgeable Mac people. I've watched this closely since June and using Mac Pros since the first G5. I think for now, the people who benefit most from new Mac Pros, are video production people. In particular the new Final Cut Pro X will be optimized to utilize both of those monster GPUs.

Over the next 12-18 months many developers will optimize their apps as well (where it makes sense -- not all filters and features need two GPUs). I don't know the degree to which improved OpenGL standards (4.x) and extra GPU power (AMD FirePro), can make Maxon's job of speeding up C4D (in any area) more possible, but I do know this is not an easy task. GPU programming is very hard I think. More than regular programming as I understand it.

For most workflows though, we can assume that while C4D and other apps like AE may not benefit from that extra GPU today, there should still be a performance improvement for a few reasons:

1. These are higher bandwidth machines, in terms of how fast data moves in and out of RAM and local storage. Also I don't think of the internal storage as "not enough room for all my stuff". Hard drives are slowly dying tech. Think about "how much space does the OS and all my apps, plus a few local documents" require, while still having some left over? Probably not close to the max 1TB, if you're like me. With C4D, half the Adobe Suite, Office and a big mail database, a bunch of iTunes music and other apps, and a bunch of random projects for those apps, I'm not close to 512GB let alone 1TB. Everything that I'm not likely to work on this month, is on another drive (all the time). So for me, not a big transition storage-wise.

There are not many options now, but Other World Computing has a true TB SSD external drive with very fast read / write speeds, that should work excellently for creative workflows. At first I didn't like the "no internal HD" idea but it's grown on me quite a bit. I like the idea of going fully solid state for speed and reliability reasons. The main concern I have is not Mac Pro noise but external HD noise. We'll see how that part goes.

2. The CPUs will be an improvement over equivalent models from 2012 and 2010 (even at the same clock speeds, let alone higher clock speeds). Running that 6 Core 3.5GHz model will be much faster for many creative tasks than the 3.33 GHz model from a couple years ago. And a little faster at everything else. Same with 12 cores at 2.7GHZ vs. 2.4.

These WILL all be single CPU machines, with two GPUs. No Nvidia options for now. Possibly in the future they will offer not only more storage (likely 2x as much next "version"), but more choice of GPU vendors also (Apple likes to go back and forth, never relying on only one vendor -- "version 2" just as likely to have Nvidia GPUs as AMD, although if Adobe and others adopt more OpenCL, it won't matter).

3. The GPUs individually, even while not 100% optimized for software like C4D and AE (AE and Premiere use all CUDA / Nvidia-optimized code for now, as far as I know), will still perform better than a Radeon 5870 (since most Mac Pro users do not hack / flash upgrade PC-branded GPUs as a hobby -- even when they do, they don't work very reliably under OS X).

Pricing is similar to previous "new Mac Pro" models. When a new design comes out, there is always a premium. But really the price is good, considering equivalent retail cost for the GPUs is well over $1000 a piece for the two higher end models. I think the 6 Core model is the one I will buy, but I do want to know from Maxon if they think 6 cores at much higher clock speed, is better than 8 or 12 at slower speed, for how they optimize C4D R15.

Last edited by Blinny : 10 October 2013 at 04:49 PM.

10 October 2013
I'm running a 12-core 2.93GHZ MacPro, which scores 1408 on Cinebench GPU test. Would love to know what the new system will get, with its improved CPUs, faster bandwidth and fast RAM and storage.

With regards the last post I moved to an Nvidia GTX 570 for Cuda operations. It's a stock PC card and apart from the lack of the EFI boot screen (which i never use) it has worked pretty much flawlessly ever since. I think most flashed cards do work reliably.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Darth Mole: I'm running a 12-core 2.93GHZ MacPro, which scores 1408 on Cinebench GPU test. Would love to know what the new system will get, with its improved CPUs, faster bandwidth and fast RAM and storage.

With regards the last post I moved to an Nvidia GTX 570 for Cuda operations. It's a stock PC card and apart from the lack of the EFI boot screen (which i never use) it has worked pretty much flawlessly ever since. I think most flashed cards do work reliably.

Yes I'll be interested too, especially if there's a new version of Cinebench (?). But either way it's all guesswork until there are some objective measurements to evaluate. For your machine (I forgot about the 12 core 2.93 -- was thinking there was only 2.4 in the 12 core model) I suspect the change will not be great because the new one is 2.7GHz. Faster architecture of the new vs. faster chips of the old might "even out".

Interesting point about the Nvidia card. I had heard of some hackintosh communities getting GTX 6xx series cards to work but seems like they had more stability issues relative to a supported card (don't mean boot screen, but actual freezes and things of that nature). For CUDA apps, if I wasn't happy with the new Mac Pro's benchmarks, I'd get a K5000 from Nvidia. Fully supported CUDA workhorse. Should extend the life of your Mac a couple years at least and would be half as expensive (at least) as whatever 8 or 12 core Darth Pro you might buy (nice name BTW).

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Blinny: The GPUs individually, even while not 100% optimized for software like C4D and AE (AE and Premiere use all CUDA / Nvidia-optimized code for now, as far as I know)

I've heard this a lot, but it happens not to be true (don't blame anyone for not knowing, since Adobe hasn't made a lot of noise about it). Since Premiere CS6, OpenCL has been used for accelerating many processes, almost as many as Cuda. See here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/...re-pro-cs6.html

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by NWoolridge: I've heard this a lot, but it happens not to be true (don't blame anyone for not knowing, since Adobe hasn't made a lot of noise about it). Since Premiere CS6, OpenCL has been used for accelerating many processes, almost as many as Cuda. See here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/...re-pro-cs6.html

Thank you for clarifying; this is encouraging. I did know that Photoshop uses OpenCL for certain things, but I had always heard that Premiere and After Effects especially, were CUDA-centric. And I just found this, which suggests that After Effects also uses OpenCL to a similar degree as Premiere (i.e. almost everything accelerated via CUDA, is accelerated for OpenCL as well, via the Mercury Engine). So any feature that uses Mercury, could benefit from the new Mac Pro.

http://sites.amd.com/us/business/so...olutions.aspx#1

This is very good news for potential Darth Pro customers who are worried about apps that help put their GPUs to good use. That said I think there's a difference programmatically between "can use OpenCL cards efficiently" and "can use both OpenCL cards at the same time, efficiently." From the above link though, looks like Adobe is doing its best from version to version, to fully support whatever hardware is available / detected.

10 October 2013
So... about that new Mavericks Mac OS and C4D...

http://www.activateyourimage.com

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by kromekat: So what are these top end iMacs getting in CB scores as a matter of interest?

My current Mac Pro 12 core gets 1200+ on CB afterall!

I just found CB R15 scores for iMac i7 4771 4cores-8threads 3.5ghz
CPU = 712 OpenGL = 97
No single CPU published

If only there was an 8core option...

odo

10 October 2013
Can we please stay on the topic of Mavericks, there is already a lively thread on the MacPro here http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=59&t=1130241
Thanks
Björn

10 October 2013
Yes please!

Any R14 Net experiences on Mavericks already?
Thx!

Odo

10 October 2013
I took the plunge today. I'm still running R13, but it opened fine, all plugins seem to be fine and I opened a few fairly complex projects, which seemed to be fine. Haven't done any real work in it yet, but if R13 seems to be OK, I'd bet R14 and 15 are fine.

On an overall note, my 2012 MacPro 12-core seems to be "snappier" overall. Windows open and apps load noticeably more quickly!

http://www.activateyourimage.com

10 October 2013
For those thinking about the 12-core Mac Pro, some thoughts from Unbox Therapy on pricing (make sure you click the youtube vid on top). Not official but they are thinking ~14K.

http://gizmodo.com/a-fully-loaded-m...dium=socialflow

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by JoelOtron: For those thinking about the 12-core Mac Pro, some thoughts from Unbox Therapy on pricing (make sure you click the youtube vid on top). Not official but they are thinking ~14K.

http://gizmodo.com/a-fully-loaded-m...dium=socialflow

I think that their estimate is unduly pessimistic; I can't imagine Apple is paying the full retail freight for their Xeons and AMD graphics...

Its still going to be an extremely expensive box, though...

10 October 2013
So what version of OpenGL does R15 use when running on Mavericks? AFAIK, it's still running OpenGL 2.x.

Mountain Lion supported OpenGL 3, but Cinema never supported it on the Mac side. And I don't see any info about R15 supporting OpenGL 3 on the Mac, not to mention OpenGL 4 and Mavericks.

Thread Closed share thread