OS X Mavericks and C4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #31
Originally Posted by sirio: (and by the way, Apple competitors charge much more than that for a dual 12 core machine, look at HP for example, they will charge you almost 10.000€ for just a dual 8core...).
For me that's not a good value for the money, also if you are just looking for render speed there are better options IMO.
I'll buy probably an 8core mac pro(they are likely going to cost little more than 5000€ and little more than 6000€ for the 12core, leaving out the top GPUs and the memory upgrade).

So don't go with a name brand. Puget Systems has some very good prices for these new systems (the 2 x 10 Core @ 3.0 GHz is probably their best power/$$ value); and their customer service is absolutely incredible.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/nav/gen...I/customize.php

Old 10 October 2013   #32
Yes the 10 core is the best bang for the buck IMO, I'm sorry Apple doesn't include that as BTO.
You can always go cheaper by building a system by yourself(even cheaper than Puget), but for many personal reason I prefer to stitch with mac(an hackintosh is not an option), that being said I'm just trying to get the most from my money

Old 10 October 2013   #33
As there would be no way for me to render 3-5 minute long full HD high end stuff multiple times in a short amount of time (accounting for the usual number of last minute client changes) even if I had the top of the line PC rig, I think the 6 or 8-core MP should suit me fine for working. I outsource my rendering anyway (until I build my own farm). As long as the workflow is much more improved than my current 2008 8-core, I should be good. Maybe not the best argument for sticking with Mac (I too am brainwashed ) but its Ok with me.

Old 10 October 2013   #34
The speed of a workstation is more important when setting up a render than for the final render.
All these test renders are very time consuming, so that's the whole point of having a fast machine (and I'm not even talking about single core speed, which is also very important).

Anyway, that's the argument behind a fast machine, but I totally understand the desire to stay in the mac ecosystem, even if only for the OS.

Old 10 October 2013   #35
Originally Posted by kromekat: EDIT: - Having just looked again on the specs page, I see the truth of it. How very lame!?
Why on earth not offer dual processors!?!?!?

Fail.

I think Apple is staking out a couple of bets for the future with this design. I'm not saying they're right, or that their decisions are good for 3D artists, but it does give a sense of how this seemingly odd design has been rationalized.

Bet 1: Single processors are better than multi, and will ultimately win out. They have a good relationship with Intel, and an excellent in house chip design group, and are making a bet on the future of processor design: single processors with higher core numbers will eventually win out over dual or multi-processor designs. Multi-proc system designs have issues with memory coherence and latency that are not issues for multi-core chips, adding complexity and expense. The trend is toward higher core numbers in single chip packages. Perhaps they know that intel's roadmap for the next few years includes 24-core chips, 36-core, etc.

Bet 2: GPGPU will be increasingly important. CUDA is mature but limited to Nvidia chips; OpenCL is chip agnostic (even allowing the CPU to be involved in OpenCL calculations), and maturing. The tools have almost reached parity. Dual GPUs allows for robust OpenCL compute power even when one GPU is driving displays.

Bet 3: Portability and low noise trump internal expansion. Thunderbolt 2 is fast enough for any storage need. These mac Pros can but put in a carryon bag for traveling media professionals (photos, videographers, editors).

Now, I'm not saying I buy all of these, and there are clear downsides for our industry, especially currently. And Apple could be wrong about any of these bets.

Time will tell...

Old 10 October 2013   #36
Fair points Sebastian, those testrenders take up a lot of time and waiting can be very frustrating.

Old 10 October 2013   #37
Hence the beauty of Team Render using whatever CPUS it has available on the network!

Originally Posted by ooo: Fair points Sebastian, those testrenders take up a lot of time and waiting can be very frustrating.

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 10 October 2013   #38
Then you run in the headache of running multiple machines (heat, noise, power consumption..).
Not saying that it is not a viable solution, just that it's not the end-all solution for everybody.

Running TR on a large scene for a render region if far from being effective either.

Old 10 October 2013   #39
So... about Mavericks compatibility with C4D...

http://www.activateyourimage.com

Old 10 October 2013   #40
There are some issues with mavericks on multiple monitor systems using multiple desktops. You need to select on all desktops to avoid problems by right clicking on the C4D icon in the dock, otherwise windows move around or drop down menus appear on the wrong screen. There does not seem to be an option to switch between multiple desktops on both screens at the same time, unless I'm missing something.
I am still cautiously optimistic about the new MacPro, but if there are no new displays for it then it is not really a good buy at the moment. I noticed that Dell have a 4k monitor coming out.

Old 10 October 2013   #41
Sorry, it's about the Mac Pro again!

From an article on AppleInsider:

Quote: In addition to a fast, multiple core Intel CPU, the Mac Pro makes dedicated use of one GPU for driving video displays while the second is reserved for computing, from audio and graphics processing to scientific number crunching or 3D rendering. Apple directly pitches its new Mac Pro at video editing, 3D modeling and animation, photography, graphic design, audio, and science and technology professionals.

Can the seconde GPU help rendering faster in C4D? I thought it was just for the viewport.

(full article: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...quipped-mac-pro)

Martin

Old 10 October 2013   #42
Originally Posted by sismik: Can the seconde GPU help rendering faster in C4D? I thought it was just for the viewport

No, it won't help with rendering in Cinema unless you're using a 3rd party engine, then the choices are things like Arion, Indigo or VrayRT (yet to be released for C4D).

cheers
brasc

Old 10 October 2013   #43
Thanks for the answer Brasco

Old 10 October 2013   #44
I am having a torrid time, with CINEMA 4D on mavericks, the application works fine, but team render has gone south, I can see the TR machines but they just spit out fails every time - will do a reinstall of all the c4d apps in the morning. I thought it may be v-ray, but I don't think it is, nothing works, and now one of my macs has disappeared from the TR window.....:sigh:

Thinking about options, can I use c4d r14, with net render on mavericks?, would that conflict with r15 and TR in anyway?

Last edited by creativebloke : 10 October 2013 at 01:37 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #45
Originally Posted by JoelOtron: As there would be no way for me to render 3-5 minute long full HD high end stuff multiple times in a short amount of time (accounting for the usual number of last minute client changes) even if I had the top of the line PC rig, I think the 6 or 8-core MP should suit me fine for working. I outsource my rendering anyway (until I build my own farm). As long as the workflow is much more improved than my current 2008 8-core, I should be good. Maybe not the best argument for sticking with Mac (I too am brainwashed ) but its Ok with me.

My thoughts as well.

Thread Closed share thread