OS X Mavericks and C4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #16
I was hoping the pricing on the new macpros might be something sensible so I could make a move to the mac for my desktop, but I just cannot justify it. The highest end 12 core model will score around 1200 on the new cinebench... but I can already get that with a 6 core i7 by bumping up the speed to 4ghz, plus it will be hugely faster on all the single threaded tasks.

The 4 core base model is 2500 in the UK, for 1600 I just specced up a faster machine with the same 250gig ssd, thunderbolt ports, twice as many ram slots, a more useful nvidia cuda gfx card.

Will it be silent? nope, but it will be quiet
Can I connect 4x 4k displays? nope, but I can connect 3x 2560 30" screens
Does it have dual gfx cards? nope, but what the hell are you going to do with dual ati cards.

I wish it were cheaper, I wish it were faster, Id have loved one, but it just doesnt make any financial sense no matter how I try to slice it. I'd rather get an imac, pocket a grand and get a 27" screen thrown in to boot.

Old 10 October 2013   #17
Mash, are you talking about the 27 inch iMac 3.4GHz quad core? Secondly, what machine did you manage to spec for 1600?

Old 10 October 2013   #18
Originally Posted by Neil V: Mash, are you talking about the 27 inch iMac 3.4GHz quad core? Secondly, what machine did you manage to spec for 1600?

Not sure if this link will work but let's try:

Scan 3XS

I've tried to roughly match the MacPro setup (dual AMD card, quadcore etc).

Quick specs rundown:
4770K - 4.4Ghz
2 x R9-280X AMD GPUs
250GB SSD
16GB 1866Mhz RAM

1,528.69 inc VAT.

Now that would be faster than the base MacPro in CPU speed, it would probably be faster GPU wise but with less VRAM, the SSD would be slower as it's only SATA III, I'd actually buy 2 and RAID0 them to match the MP speed. You also don't get the Thunderbolt ports and of course it's much bigger!

For a grand less and faster, I think that could test some loyalties.

cheers
brasc

Old 10 October 2013   #19
Well, brasco I have to say that's pretty compelling.

Old 10 October 2013   #20
I'm torn. I know that if I were to go out and spec a similar machine I could get much better value for money buying a PC. But my son has a PC and it sounds like a jet engine and the case is so flimsy and plasticky. I love the design of the old Mac Pro, changing drives is just childsplay. So my point is there's a lot about Macs that you can't spec it's in the dna of the machine and that's what I love more. If I found a case as good as the old mac pro it wouldn't be your usual $100.00 case that's for sure. The new design is mad looking but for the size and quietness I don't think it would have much competition.

But I have always been a Mac person, I just don't like getting into the guts of things. And the Mac does a very good job of hiding this from you.

As I say torn

Old 10 October 2013   #21
Are these new MP definitely only going to be single processors?
I figured we'd be looking at dual 12 core at the top end!? :/

EDIT: - Having just looked again on the specs page, I see the truth of it. How very lame!?
Why on earth not offer dual processors!?!?!?

Fail.

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Last edited by kromekat : 10 October 2013 at 11:15 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #22
You have echoed my thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted by rsquires: I'm torn. I know that if I were to go out and spec a similar machine I could get much better value for money buying a PC. But my son has a PC and it sounds like a jet engine and the case is so flimsy and plasticky. I love the design of the old Mac Pro, changing drives is just childsplay. So my point is there's a lot about Macs that you can't spec it's in the dna of the machine and that's what I love more. If I found a case as good as the old mac pro it wouldn't be your usual $100.00 case that's for sure. The new design is mad looking but for the size and quietness I don't think it would have much competition.

But I have always been a Mac person, I just don't like getting into the guts of things. And the Mac does a very good job of hiding this from you.

As I say torn

Old 10 October 2013   #23
Originally Posted by imashination: The highest end 12 core model will score around 1200 on the new cinebench... but I can already get that with a 6 core i7 by bumping up the speed to 4ghz, plus it will be hugely faster on all the single threaded tasks.

CB only 1200 for the top dog? So that brings me closer at buying a iMac i7 3.5ghz instead. I will have a free 27" display with it too. Rendering can be done on my growing farm, so no need for this 12 core cylinder. What a bummer...

odo

Old 10 October 2013   #24
Isn't the top spec iMac an i5 and not an i7?

Originally Posted by ooo: CB only 1200 for the top dog? So that brings me closer at buying a iMac i7 3.5ghz instead. I will have a free 27" display with it too. Rendering can be done on my growing farm, so no need for this 12 core cylinder. What a bummer...

odo

Old 10 October 2013   #25
Same sort of spec as brascos listed, expect I went with a single geforce 780 card with 3 gigs ram and a gigabyte motherboard which includes thunderbolt.

imacs have i5s, but can be specced to a decent i7

Old 10 October 2013   #26
Originally Posted by imashination: imacs have i5s, but can be specced to a decent i7

Ah, you're not wrong (as bloody usual) ;o)

Old 10 October 2013   #27
Originally Posted by kromekat: Are these new MP definitely only going to be single processors?
I figured we'd be looking at dual 12 core at the top end!? :/

EDIT: - Having just looked again on the specs page, I see the truth of it. How very lame!?
Why on earth not offer dual processors!?!?!?

Fail.

While I can agree that a dual processor machine may look appealing, I want to remember that a pair of 12core will cost easily almost 6000, only for the cpu. If you add to that the cost of one or two workstation grade GPU(different from a gaming GPU for some tasks), and all the rest you will easily reach 10.000 and above(and by the way, Apple competitors charge much more than that for a dual 12 core machine, look at HP for example, they will charge you almost 10.000 for just a dual 8core...).
For me that's not a good value for the money, also if you are just looking for render speed there are better options IMO.
I'll buy probably an 8core mac pro(they are likely going to cost little more than 5000 and little more than 6000 for the 12core, leaving out the top GPUs and the memory upgrade). It will not be the fastest machine on the planet for rendering, but it will be very good for working, and I plan to compensate the gap in render speed with some cheap 6core rendernodes(1000 each), I'll end up spending little more than 7000 and have more render power than a single 10.000 machine. I'll have a little, beautiful, quite and efficient machine on my desktop, and two render slave in another room which I'll power up only when needed.
This new mac pro is clearly not about cpu power(it's all about GPU/OpenCl workflow), and will not be the ultimate render machine for sure, it will be slightly faster than actual line of MP and likely just "good enough" for most.

Old 10 October 2013   #28
So what are these top end iMacs getting in CB scores as a matter of interest?

My current Mac Pro 12 core gets 1200+ on CB afterall!

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 10 October 2013   #29
Fair points - this makes this a good plan for the front end. if the viewport speed is going to to be as good as it promises.

Originally Posted by sirio: While I can agree that a dual processor machine may look appealing, I want to remember that a pair of 12core will cost easily almost 6000, only for the cpu. If you add to that the cost of one or two workstation grade GPU(different from a gaming GPU for some tasks), and all the rest you will easily reach 10.000 and above(and by the way, Apple competitors charge much more than that for a dual 12 core machine, look at HP for example, they will charge you almost 10.000 for just a dual 8core...).
For me that's not a good value for the money, also if you are just looking for render speed there are better options IMO.
I'll buy probably an 8core mac pro(they are likely going to cost little more than 5000 and little more than 6000 for the 12core, leaving out the top GPUs and the memory upgrade). It will not be the fastest machine on the planet for rendering, but it will be very good for working, and I plan to compensate the gap in render speed with some cheap 6core rendernodes(1000 each), I'll end up spending little more than 7000 and have more render power than a single 10.000 machine. I'll have a little, beautiful, quite and efficient machine on my desktop, and two render slave in another room which I'll power up only when needed.
This new mac pro is clearly not about cpu power(it's all about GPU/OpenCl workflow), and will not be the ultimate render machine for sure, it will be slightly faster than actual line of MP and likely just "good enough" for most.

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 10 October 2013   #30
Originally Posted by kromekat: So what are these top end iMacs getting in CB scores as a matter of interest?

My current Mac Pro 12 core gets 1200+ on CB afterall!

Don't know about the imac, but I've seen some benchmark where a single 8core E5 v2 xeon give you similar score of a top of the line 12core 5.1 mac pro, the 12 core 6.1 will be surely faster in multithreaded stuff.
The 6core i7 4930k render nodes I'm building will be around 1200: http://www.cbscores.com

Last edited by sirio : 10 October 2013 at 01:33 PM.

Thread Closed share thread