OS X Mavericks and C4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
OS X Mavericks and C4D

Any known issues?

Oh, and the Mac Pro is on the store.... sort of :]

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/mac-pro

Adam

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 10 October 2013   #2
As usual our developers had early access to Mavericks, to the best of my knowledge there are no specific issues.
Cheers
Björn

Old 10 October 2013   #3
Thanks Björn!

I'll most likely wait a few days until ive completed the current work before I install, but good to know

Adam

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 10 October 2013   #4
Maybe usefull to hear if the developers tested both R14 and R15 (or even R13).

I'm planning to upgrade my MBP first to see if that works ok before I upgrade my MacPro.

THX odo

Old 10 October 2013   #5
Runs fine here with R15. The only thing ive noticed is that the mouse pointer keeps flicking to the spinning colour wheel, but this happens regardless of the open app.

Old 10 October 2013   #6
Agreed - Im going to do the same

Originally Posted by ooo: Maybe usefull to hear if the developers tested both R14 and R15 (or even R13).

I'm planning to upgrade my MBP first to see if that works ok before I upgrade my MacPro.

THX odo

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 10 October 2013   #7
Are the prices of these machines competitive with equivalent PCs? PLEASE don't start a Pc vs Mac war - I'm simply curious.

Old 10 October 2013   #8
Originally Posted by kromekat:

Adam

Yes that new MacPro is out. Not all CTO options are revealed yet, but in my opinion this new cylinder is mostly targeted at video pro's and not 3D pro's. Am I right? Will this be a good investment for C4D? Or will the highend iMac i7 3.5ghz be a better choice if it comes to 3D-editing. For rendering there are better options I assume.

odo

Old 10 October 2013   #9
I couldn't tell you Neil! - I suspect it will have a significant Apple tax on it in all honesty. You'll be paying for the design and innovation more than the components.

I will always prefer a Mac OSX front end I suspect, but i've been looking at many other rendering solutions that are generally cheaper if you know what you are doing.

That said - if the GFX aspect of this are extremely good for OpenGL atc, then it still might be a good replacement for anyone's main modeling/animation Mac of yesteryear!?

Originally Posted by Neil V: Are the prices of these machines competitive with equivalent PCs? PLEASE don't start a Pc vs Mac war - I'm simply curious.

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 10 October 2013   #10
About the new Mac Pro, i was pretty excited until I saw the real spec and pricing yesterday.

Don't forget that at 3000$, you only have 256GB of storage (enough to installe system and all softwares?), 12GB of RAM and no external Thunderbolt 2 storage! So it is at least 1000$ more…. for a quad core machine.

Quad core is not interesting for 3D people (even the 12 core first benchmarks for that processor are not impressive at all). GPU is great but I would love to decide if I need that much GPU and have a lot more of CPU instead. The new MP is oriented for final cut video editor and ready for 4K… but is 4K really that close to become a standard? I dont think so, broadcasters have invested loads of money in gears to be HD just a few years back.

Hope 4K TV is not the next 3D TV

My 2 cents

Martin

P.S. Sorry for my english

Old 10 October 2013   #11
Yes but what options do we have if we want to stay on OSX. It's this new MacPro or an iMac.
I hope to see a CB-score of the actual machine soon.
Macs could never compete against PC power, so nothing new today.
But will this cylinder be a good 3D workhorse or is that too soon to ask?

odo

Old 10 October 2013   #12
I'm sure it will be great in most ways, but without benchmarks or hands on its a bit too soon to tell I would say!

It would certainly save some space in itself, but if local storage is limited, they must be expecting most people will be using Thunderbolt external drives - I suspect Apple might already have some stylised peripherals to match in this regard!?

Originally Posted by ooo: Yes but what options do we have if we want to stay on OSX. It's this new MacPro or an iMac.
I hope to see a CB-score of the actual machine soon.
Macs could never compete against PC power, so nothing new today.
But will this cylinder be a good 3D workhorse or is that too soon to ask?

odo

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 10 October 2013   #13
As a MacPro user I'm miffed. Some nice people in the EU had a problem with people sticking their finger into a spinning fan and got said finger hurt. That fan was on a MacPro and therefore these nice people also responsible for that awesome cookie law wanted that this people-sticking-finger-in-spinning-fan problem got addressed by Apple.

Apple in response just stopped selling MacPro's in Europe.

So I have here 2 MacPro's, had hoped to buy one more before Apple released the cylinder but ran into the above described problem, no MacPro's.

I don't think I'm going to buy one, simply because you need to buy all that extra external disk space, you can't just upgrade the video card on the fly and lord knows what else I'm missing.

I have a cube here. Functioning as a bookstand. I'm an Apple fan but somehow I think that cylinder if I would buy it ends up right there within a year.

Old 10 October 2013   #14
Originally Posted by kromekat: Any known issues?

Adam

Other than an hour d'ld and an hour install ... being locked out of all apps ... and a surprise
7 minute kicker install and the final jump through keychain security hoop issues ... it's not
affecting c4d

WRT the Dyson MP ... the price to performance ratio is still up to real world shake down trials
as far as I can see. Like many loyal Mac users, I was looking for something with a "wow" factor
rather than a "really?"

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Old 10 October 2013   #15
OS X Mavericks has OpenGL 4.1, so there may be some possibilities that open up in the future.

I ran Cinebench R15 and noticed a modest 1 frame increase in the OGL test (from 61 to 62 fps). This is a mid-2011 27" iMac, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB).

Rendering was also very slightly faster.

Thread Closed share thread