DEM Earth REPLACEMENT! 100% FREE!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
DEM Earth ALTERNATIVE - 100% FREE

For those that can't afford expensive plugins (such as DEM Earth) they can build landscapes and even the entire Earth 100% free!!

This is not automatic, but indeed a fun process to go thru.

You can get hyper high res DEM elevation AND textures from this website:

http://www.unearthedoutdoors.net/gl...marble/download

There is even a torrent (slow but there) for the materials.

In addition to, if you don't know how to build these, check my tutorial on Vimeo. It is pretty simple!

http://vimeo.com/75844169

Last edited by unl0cker : 10 October 2013 at 05:36 AM.

10 October 2013
This isn't in the same league as Paul's plugin which is hardly expensive considering what it does and the years he's put into development.

Please don't try and disrespect developers on here without knowing what goes into it.

The stuff you show is 250m low res while ok in some situations is nothing like what DEM earth can get.

Mike

10 October 2013
Hello Mike,

I stated that the plugin is expensive because "expensive" is HIGHLY relative. For most amateurs and hobby users like myself, yea, I believe it is.

The 250m x 10m res when dealing with the entire planet (which all this sprang from), it is not a big issue, as one will hardly zoom all the way to the surface, I believe so.

When dealing with landscapes, which the tutorial posted is about, the U.S. Geological Survey (that is currently offline but hopefully will come back) has very hires dem shaders, so you can say that is equal to Dem Earth's quality. The textures too can be obtained in very hi quality, either from Google with a limit of 25k tiles, from OVI Maps with no limits whatsoever.

As for the "Please don't try and disrespect developers on here without knowing what goes into it." I'm sorry, but WHERE DID I? To be precise, it was THE OTHER WAY AROUND. I was labeled, disrespected, financially discriminated and mocked by Judge Paul. If you have not reached a point of absolute unbiased opinions, then you should not be judging, right Paul?

Because I frequent underground forums, does this automatically put me in some sort of club of the dead and worth of being mocked and bashed?

I work as an IT, and I do the same you people do, and as you, I suffer from the same evils. I "try" a lot of things, the ones I like I do sell! Actually I just need to know about everything, as it is my business! You really think after this fiasco I will be recommending any of this? I bet many of these claims are hypocritical.

I'll perfect this process of manual making landscapes as much as I can, to be as easy as it can possibly be. I bet someone will like it.

Last edited by unl0cker : 10 October 2013 at 11:47 PM.

10 October 2013
Just a side note here.

Back in feb/2013 when I started to play with models, I've tried to fit in many "communities" of C4D and was received with much apathy.

That one was the one that received me and my silly models and noob questions with heart and arms open. Blame me not!

Last edited by unl0cker : 10 October 2013 at 11:40 PM.

10 October 2013
I believe it is just the wording you chose in the title that comes across a bit disrespectful. You could have chosen to use 'alternative' instead of 'REPLACEMENT'. I too am a hobbyist but I don't find most of the plugins terribly expensive considering I know I am using a high end 3d application. Other alternatives to plugins and workflows are always welcome but I would just be a little more careful with your wording to not accidentally offend.

Having said that, I thought it was a pretty cool tutorial so thanks.

10 October 2013
Quote: Because I frequent underground forums, does this automatically put me in some sort of club of the dead and worth of being mocked and bashed?

Yes, especially when one of those underground forums is a well known pirate web site.

You posted the same crap at my forum C4D Cafe. I have removed the links and banned you. Pirates are not welcome.

3DKiwi
C4D Cafe

10 October 2013
Quote: You could have chosen to use 'alternative' instead of 'REPLACEMENT'.

Indeed pnoland, how about now?! But believe it or not, that was what I meant! As you may noticed english is not my first language. More careful I shall be.

As for you 3DKiwi, hypocrite! Mp3? Movie? never right?! Get some moral bearings hypocrite. Your site is so important to me that I had to find it using Google's search... So yeah, I guess thanks a lot, I hate these loose ends.

Last edited by unl0cker : 10 October 2013 at 05:49 AM.

10 October 2013
It's the fact that you are calling out one specific plugin.

One the developer has spent years of his life trying to develop a method to do quickly and easily in cinema4d.

He makes plugins it's his job he has family to support! And you call that out saying don't buy do it like this free, there have always been free ways this is nothing new!

And not the point a professional who needs that data will use the plugin as it's cheap and will save days of work on tight deadlines
So yes it's very disrespectful of you.

10 October 2013
Quote: As for you 3DKiwi, hypocrite! Mp3? Movie? never right?! Get some moral bearings hypocrite.

I'm more than happy for people to judge my moral bearings. Let's have a look at your moral bearings with the attached image.

I rest my case.

10 October 2013
Oh. Please admins close this Thread or it will be a fiasco.
www.c4dStuff.com

HB_ModellingBundle

10 October 2013
wow, thats a call out if ever I saw one

if your time is for free and your work is worthless, then yes, you can do this sort of thng for free, given enough energy.
You can also do a lot of things for free by going over to ********, as you do, and getting cracked versions of just about anything there is.And you can also be a complete idiot and use the same public profiles , so anyone can see what you are up to.
That is not what this forum has ever been about. You've been so obviously exposed for what you are, that I hope the mods kick and ban you, if for nothing else, other than insulting everyones intelligence !

10 October 2013
I think we are done here

Thread Closed share thread