drive plugin, car in water?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by uglykids: Thats to be discussed. Having raindrops running down a cars door with specific designs, or a whole car falling into a pond, creating eddies and such where smaller parts disturb the water etc will only look as convincing as the model is detailed.

As we don't know what the OP is/was aiming for, its hard to decide which quality is needed, or with what workarounds&proxies you can get away with.

So Effex has a SPH solver that is much faster than RealFlow's SPH solver? I didn't know that

The hy2 solver in RealFlow 2013 works fine with singlesided geometries, as well as taking these into account as RBD, which to my knowledge isn't the case in Effex, right?

So basically comparing RealFlow to Effex sounds rather akward to me, as RealFlow is so much more complex and offers extensive abilities. (Dynamics)

Btw, X-Particles has a basic SPH Solver as well, but is much cheaper than Effex or RealFlow, if software costs play any role here.

Back to charlie31, his question was if he can use the Drive plugin together with RealFlow, and the answer is a simple yes. If he must use Effex? The answer is no. So any pros and cons on different approaches aren't necessary until the OP decides to specify what kind of effect he wants to create.

Charlie31, your crash could derive from several issues, changing polygon counts, Scaling issues etc.. As you seem to have access to RealFlow, you might as well want to try the new Alembic option for exchanging your 3D Scene between Cinema 4D and RealFlow 2013.

ok, where can i download or buy Alembic?

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by charlie31: ok, where can i download or buy Alembic?

Alembic is a 3d file format similiar to fbx or in this case "sd" which seems to be crashing here.

Cinema 4D R14 and above supports exporting and importing alembic files, and RealFlow 2013 supports importing these as well.

So consider this as an alternative to the sd workflow.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by uglykids: Can you have a Car body floating dynamically on fluids generated by Effex? I mean Effex putting a floating force on the geometry?

Yes, I believe you can. Or at least you could with Effex 1.0, and I assume that you also can in 2.0, but I haven't figured out how it works yet.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by uglykids: Alembic is a 3d file format similiar to fbx or in this case "sd" which seems to be crashing here.

Cinema 4D R14 and above supports exporting and importing alembic files, and RealFlow 2013 supports importing these as well.

So consider this as an alternative to the sd workflow.

I see that the realflow does not support FBX.
only:
Lightwave object (*. lwo)
Ascii object (*-asc)
Wavefront object (*. obj)
DXF object (*. dxf)
Maxwell Render scene (*-mxs)
Alembic scene (*. abc)
Next Limit SD (*. sd)

In Export to Cinema, only, and not Alembic:

3D Studio (* .3 ds)
Alplan (*. xml)
Bullet (*. bullet)
Cinema 4D XML (*. xml)
Collada 1.4 (*. dae)
Collada 1.5 (*. dae)
Direct 3D (*. x)
DXF (*. dxf)
FBX (*. fbx)
Illustrator (*. ai)
RIB (*. rib)
STL (*. stl)
VRML 2 (*. wrl)
Wavefront (*. obj)

10 October 2013
You need to have R14 or R15 to make use of Alembic (.abc) in C4D.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: You need to have R14 or R15 to make use of Alembic (.abc) in C4D.

ok, thanks for your help.!

10 October 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread