m4d 1.3.0 - feature previews

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
m4d 1.3.0 - feature previews

We're currently working on the new version of m4d to be released soon. Here you can see the topics that we are currently working on.

Starting with:

Old 10 October 2013   #2
R15 Team Render

Although team render has received mixed feedback, there are still some things, that make it really awesome: For example: You can work on any low-performance machine, like a Macbook Air to create your scenes. And when it comes to rendering, all your workstations will kick in and supply a fast rendering.

When working with m4d iray, this also applies to all available CUDA cards in your Team Render network, which is a great benefit for Mac users who don't want to upgrade their ATI-GPU. By the way: here's a great tutorial by büro bewegt on how to do this:
http://vimeo.com/channels/575815/72823826

m4d Team Render functionality currently supports:
  • mental ray and iray
  • Animation and distributed single frame rendering
  • CPU and GPU acceleration

Old 10 October 2013   #3
Hello Thomas
Thank to you and to your team. Great product!

It's not significant but will be develop libs for access to c4d geometry, volume data? (i discuss about it at m4d's forum)... For metasl(wrapped by [py]-scripted shader) or CAPI.

Last edited by ilay : 10 October 2013 at 01:45 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #4
Hi Ilay,
mental ray already supports volumetric lighting, it's not possible in iray yet.
Or did i misunderstand you?

Old 10 October 2013   #5
Hi Tobias
I was wrong in name, maybe access to particles data... i found several articles about handling voxels and etc.
(And VolumeData as c4d BaseVolumeData is significant too for developing own lights)

Old 10 October 2013   #6
>And when it comes to rendering, all your workstations will kick in and supply a fast rendering. <

Yes and No.

No, if you are using the Stage Object to render out different camera views.
Maybe you can come up with a way to get around this problem.

Old 10 October 2013   #7
@Ilay: yes you're right, particles are not possible at the moment. We're looking into this.

@artdude12:
you mean rerendering from different camera views without the need to export the geometry again?
In parts that should already be possible with our Rendercache. This only updates new geometry

Old 10 October 2013   #8
>you mean rerendering from different camera views without the need to export the geometry again?<

I think so. (I'm guessing that's what the Stage Object does).
I basically don't want to baby sit a scene render that has for instance, 4 different
camera views. Stage Object is the perfect solution for this. The (Team Render) downside is that my scene is now a 4 frame animation with the Team Render server sending out a different frame to each client.

If you can get around this so that all the machines are working together on one image (frame) at a time, finish, then do the next and so on, that's what I'm looking for.

Old 10 October 2013   #9
Originally Posted by artdude12: If you can get around this so that all the machines are working together on one image (frame) at a time, finish, then do the next and so on, that's what I'm looking for.

iray will support both, you can render your 4 frame animation with teamrender and iray and you can distribute a single frame rendering with teamrender and iray

Old 10 October 2013   #10
Great news.

Is the update coming sometime between now and the end of this year?

Old 10 October 2013   #11
There are still some things that we want to improve for you in the coming version (more information about the upcoming features will be published on this thread). We've mastered even some of the trickier things like Team Render, so we're pretty confident to announce the update shortly.

Old 10 October 2013   #12
Sampler Technology & Render Presets

Maybe the most challenging things of pathtraced renderings is getting rid of the grain. Especially when working with interior scenes and caustics, some grainy areas seem to resist forever. That's why we've implemented two new settings into iray: Caustic sampler and architectural sampler will now handle these scenes with a much higher precision.

Speed is everything in m4d, that's why we also implemented the most common values as render presets for you. Preview, medium and high quality, as well as special caustic and interior. This way, you can easily select those settings, that will fit your current needs the most.

Old 10 October 2013   #13
Great!
Also what yo can say about this implementation http://elementalray.wordpress.com/2...w-features-may/ ? MIla-layered shaders

Old 10 October 2013   #14
Originally Posted by ilay: Great!
Also what yo can say about this implementation http://elementalray.wordpress.com/2...w-features-may/ ? MIla-layered shaders

We won't add it for this version as this material library is still in beta state. Perhaps for the following release

Old 10 October 2013   #15
Smart Rays (LPE)

Another useful tool coming in the next version: Introducing 'Smart Rays', where you can set the purpose of your rays to either framebuffer you want. Reflection pass needed? Change to "reflection" and hit render. Easy as that. Based on NVIDIAs LPE technology.

Thread Closed share thread