CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Maxon Cinema 4D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #46
AdamT
oh ... what?

Adam Trachtenberg
Modeler, Animator, Attorney
3D Anvil
Miami, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucentDreams
Sad to see that CPU is still a key factor in ill performance score. Ran cb with stock speed on my 3930k and GeForce 670 and got 80.75 then again with my OC which is 4.45 and got 99.84. A 25% ogl gain because of my CPU speed.

Loved the play on the old cb scene though. I agree it'd be nice
To see an update to it to allow team render tests but that is more specific to a c4d user and not general benchmarking tool. Nice to see that my overclock maintains a consistent multiplier now. How does the 12 core have such a significantly better multiplier than all the other 6 and 8 core systems? Does the single core not go into turbo or something?

How'd you get up to 4.45? New cpu? Are new ones that much better than the previous generation?

Old 10-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #47
brasco
Polygone

portfolio
Jon Bosley
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamT
How'd you get up to 4.45? New cpu? Are new ones that much better than the previous generation?

4.4Ghz-4.5Ghz is about the wall on the 3930Ks with an AIO water cooler, I have a pretty bad chip so required quite a bit of extra voltage, but it stays below 75C so no problems, I fitted some Gentle Typhoons to an H100 and it's worked fine (the stock fans were noisy as hell).

With some more exotic solutions you could probably hit 4.7Ghz+ 24/7, but that'd require some specific BIOS changes. I've had mine up at 5.2 for benching but it's too hot and any less voltage it'd BSOD.

cheers
brasc

Old 10-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #48
abdelouahabb
too much pressure!

abdelouahab
student
Algeria

here is the score for a laptop:
Dell xps 15.
Open GL: 26.36 fps
CPU: 356 cb.
hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: png Sans titre.png (19.7 KB, 325 views)

Last edited by abdelouahabb : 10-02-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #49
rob rhodes
Arch Vizer
Rob Rhodes
United Kingdom

Just got my new rig today. It's dual 2650v2 (8core 2.6ghz)

R15: 2081
R11.5: 23.4

Happy with that. Definitely what I was hoping for and maybe a touch more.

Gpu is a gtx580 and only gets about 58fps so the lower clocked cpu is probably slowing it as my 480 on my old rig is getting 88fps! I'll have to see how it works in practice. Would be nice if maxon looked at viewports for r16.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #50
Decade
Expert

Graeme McDougall
London, GB

Here's mine :

3930k clocked @ 4.4ghz
16gb DDR3 1600mhz
3GB Geforce 660ti (factory overclocked)
Win 8

Single CPU : 151
Multi CPU : 1104
Open GL: 106 fps

Old 10-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #51
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting TD
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasco
4.4Ghz-4.5Ghz is about the wall on the 3930Ks with an AIO water cooler, I have a pretty bad chip so required quite a bit of extra voltage, but it stays below 75C so no problems, I fitted some Gentle Typhoons to an H100 and it's worked fine (the stock fans were noisy as hell).

With some more exotic solutions you could probably hit 4.7Ghz+ 24/7, but that'd require some specific BIOS changes. I've had mine up at 5.2 for benching but it's too hot and any less voltage it'd BSOD.

cheers
brasc

If you get a really lucky cpu (each cpu even of the same model will OC different) some have even reached 4.5-4.6 with the h100

for me, my biggest hindrance wasn't heat but my ram, despite having 8 slots my mb doesn't like all 64 GB of ram at the higher voltages required for anything over 4.4, really I was running at 4.2, but now I'm running 48GB and leaving out two ram (yes 16GB of ram sitting around doing nothing) and now I'm handling 4.45 nice and stable. It's not even a refined OC it's what the asus automatic overclock provided I"m sure I could squeeze out a little if I tweaked more but last time I ended up just complicating things and having troubles getting back to where I was,(got mine jsut over 5 when I first tried ages back, but it didn't stay running long enough to run the old CB think the highest old CB score I achieve was 14.2 but that wasn't stable overnight rendering.) so I take the auto overclock and feel comfortable knowing that a 3.2, 3.8 turbo, now runs at 4.45 a 39% increase and a 32% cinebench score increase (963 to 1279)

Old 10-07-2013, 04:27 AM   #52
AlecS
Frequenter
portfolio
Alec Syme
Owner
Fuse
Minneapolis, USA

Here's my recent home PC build with the new 4770K. This is clocked at 4.5 GHz. Stable for a couple weeks now. 4.6 doesn't work but I'm happy with 4.5. And those Titans are really nothing to sneeze at too. This is with a new Gigabyte board called Sniper 5. (Total game board (seriously, Sniper?)) And 32 gigs of good Corsair RAM. The CPU is also liquid cooled like some of yours here with the NZXT Kraken. Great set up for a 4 core machine. Only wish Cinema used those GPU's for rendering. That would be sweet.

Alec
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (34.9 KB, 82 views)

Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #53
brasco
Polygone

portfolio
Jon Bosley
United Kingdom

Nice OpenGL score there Alec, can I ask what you've got the Titans clocked at and what drivers you're using? I tried Nvidias latest beta to fix another issue and the score dropped 25%!

cheers
brasc

Old 10-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #54
AlecS
Frequenter
portfolio
Alec Syme
Owner
Fuse
Minneapolis, USA

Quote:
Nice OpenGL score there Alec, can I ask what you've got the Titans clocked at and what drivers you're using? I tried Nvidias latest beta to fix another issue and the score dropped 25%!

cheers
brasc

Hi Brasco- I leave the Titans at there factory settings. Now these particular units are the EVGA factory overclocked versions. I think they were $20 more than the standard but give a 10% speed boost or there abouts. Great cards. This machine has 3 of them. (Not that Cinema sees more than one anyway).

I just updated my drivers to 327.23. So far, so good. Good luck!

Alec

Old 10-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #55
brasco
Polygone

portfolio
Jon Bosley
United Kingdom

Thanks Alec, I have the same brand just the stock card. It seems like the OpenGL test is still pretty flimsy, way too many variables outside of the GPU that affect it to be any good at comparing cards. As an indicator for Cinema, I'm sure it's fine.

On another note, it's sacrilege not to OC these puppies!

cheers
brasc

Old 10-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #56
AlecS
Frequenter
portfolio
Alec Syme
Owner
Fuse
Minneapolis, USA

Quote:
Thanks Alec, I have the same brand just the stock card. It seems like the OpenGL test is still pretty flimsy, way too many variables outside of the GPU that affect it to be any good at comparing cards. As an indicator for Cinema, I'm sure it's fine.

On another note, it's sacrilege not to OC these puppies!

cheers
brasc

Well, I'm in. Do you have any good links for OC these Titans? I'd love a little more speed.

Thanks!
Alec

Old 10-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #57
ooo
actually my name is odo

One question, probably asked a few times already: would I for a workstation better go for the highest single CPU score when I also have a little farm with render cores (TR or NET)?
So how much will the multicores help apart from rendering?

THX odo

Old 10-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #58
brasco
Polygone

portfolio
Jon Bosley
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecS
Well, I'm in. Do you have any good links for OC these Titans? I'd love a little more speed.

Thanks!
Alec

Luckily, it's very very easy to do.

1. Install EVGA Precision
2. Set power limit to 106% - Temp target will shoot up to 95C, but there are features in the card that will automatically down clock to avoid dangerous temps.
3. Watch it clock itself up under load!

Not sure how much Temp will become an issue with 3 in there, so you might want to tighten the fan profile, but you should see a decent boost either way.

Mine boosts to 1045Mhz happily. Once I've added a few more, I'll be putting them under water to really get the best out of them.

Some guides:
guru3d
YT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo
One question, probably asked a few times already: would I for a workstation better go for the highest single CPU score when I also have a little farm with render cores (TR or NET)?

THX odo

It's really about balance, with TeamRender it does change the game a bit. I think the ideal setup is a fast as hell Hexacore 4.3Ghz+, which still renders fairly fast whilst maintaining the Single Core speed, as the main Workstation, and then high core density nodes, preferably still clocked reasonably so they don't bottleneck on the start of a frame.

I'm putting together a Helmer based cluster at the moment (bunnyburg inspired), which is still just little quad cores but 6 of them.

Pulling us back on topic before I get told off - Will we see a TR compatible version of Cinebench? I realise the network variables etc would make it much less normalised, but it would be nice to have it as an option, like a "Network CPUs test" or similar.

cheers
brasc

Old 10-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #59
mikek

Here's mine on an HP Z820 Graphics Workstation. Single core is pretty bad but total cores are really fast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CB15_Score.jpg (60.2 KB, 41 views)

Old 10-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #60
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo

THX odo

If you have a (small) farm i would opt for an OCed 4 Core i7 4770K. It gives you optimal viewport performance if you have a decent graphics card, also single threaded things like caching dynamics etc. are very fast. It isn't a slouch at rendering either.

Cheers
Björn

reply share thread