R15 + GI + Rebus Farm = oh baby!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
R15 + GI + Rebus Farm = oh baby!

hi

we are supporting R15 now. If you ask why it tooks so long I can tell you about a cool new feature we implemented and tested the last weeks.

Rebus can render ANY GI mode of C4d on all the farm.
Camera animation , full animation , distributed render one image or using your local GI solution.
Everything is possible at Rebus using all the farm power. No more pre-caching your side!

load job - press one button to define the GI you like to have - send to farm - thats it

click and forget solution :P

09 September 2013
Cool! Good to hear that R15 has allowed you to upgrade farm performance, after all the negatives that have been reported. Or does the new GI capability apply to previous versions as well?

09 September 2013
what negative you mean?

the GI pre-render support is for R15 only

in older version its technicaly not possible to cache the GI using many PCs
only one PC can pre-render the GI to file - its not a limit of Rebus its c4d itself
Rebus could render the GI using one PC only but there is no benefit for the user then

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by QuakeMarine1: what negative you mean?

the GI pre-render support is for R15 only

in older version its technicaly not possible to cache the GI using many PCs
only one PC can pre-render the GI to file - its not a limit of Rebus its c4d itself
Rebus could render the GI using one PC only but there is no benefit for the user then

There's been a lot of negativity on the forum about R15 lacking the old NET render, or something more like it than TR.

09 September 2013
Most professional render services are likely using third party control offerings...

09 September 2013
Yes, I suspect so, but apparently there was some change in R15 that now allows them to use the power of a farm to render GI caches, which is nice.

09 September 2013
Good to hear that R15 is supported now, especially considering the Team render shambles, cloud rendering is most likely the best option for animation jobs. Not currently using R15 , even though I have a license and R14's brute force GI is reliable if not very slow.

I have been using Rebus quite a bit lately and there are certainly some advantages over Render Rocket. Some aspects of submitting jobs have been driving me nuts, so maybe you can give me some feedback on these...

Why can no new jobs be submitted when one is either downloading or rendering, as this is very limiting? Also, I can submit several jobs to Rebus via the manager, but can only render one job at a time. Why can I not setup a project folder and share common textures like I can with Render Rocket?

Why does the automatic downloading never work properly and only download a small portion of frames? This aspect is much better than RR's system ,but has never worked successfully for me. Overall, I have been happy with the pricing and speed of Rebus, but frustrated with the rest, so feedback on the above issues would be appreciated

09 September 2013
the up and download limits are soon fixed - we have something "new" in the pipeline and still polish it

you can render many jobs the same time - there is no limit
you not need to wait for one job to start the next - i not get your point

we know the autodownload not get all images but it goes to far to explain why
just press download once job is done and u get all images - download skip the files u have and grap the misisng only

09 September 2013
My only gripe about Rebus is the lack of FTP support, which is a significant problem when working with image sequences (try uploading 5000 frames, one by one, and see how long it takes).

Other than that, love the service and the price! Stocked that R15 GI pre-caching is now available, thanks for implementing that!

This is my number one farm with Render King, I cannot recommend them enough.

Render Rocket has an awesome interface and render management features, but I found them to be pricey.

09 September 2013
we know about - just more time and the limits are gone

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by QuakeMarine1: the up and download limits are soon fixed - we have something "new" in the pipeline and still polish it

you can render many jobs the same time - there is no limit
you not need to wait for one job to start the next - i not get your point

we know the autodownload not get all images but it goes to far to explain why
just press download once job is done and u get all images - download skip the files u have and grap the misisng only

Hmmm, ok I will have to try that next time, as I have been unable to add or upload new jobs while one is already rendering. Can't check it now as I am not at work.

Good to hear there are improvements coming, as it really needs some project management/ftp features ala Render Rocket.

09 September 2013
our main focus is the ease of use - ftp stuff makes all the worflow pretty complicate and lead to mistakes from user side

our solution will be better once it is released - click and forget

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread