bevel generator plugin request

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Cheers André

Hi André

Thanks for your great plugin. We look forward to using it again in the future.

alawrence

09 September 2013
http://www.maxon.net/support/developer-support.html
sdk's are up.

09 September 2013
great, now lets get it on andre ...thanks for updating this plugin. do you have a donation page btw? ...or i pay u one beer next time in erlangen

09 September 2013
yes Andre, even though the new bevel is very nice, it would be great to get an v15 update of your plugin, being a generator, even if the update cost a bit,to cover your work.

thx
Stefan
http://rhino.io

09 September 2013
Thanks for the support. I've been asked for a donations page etc. I feel it wouldn't be right for me to be asking for money for this plugin - voluntarily or otherwise.

If anything raise a glas to Antosha Marchenko, and if you wanna help me out maybe bookmark+share my new site (irisvfx.com) and visit its blog section every now and then where I will be posting more freebies, scripts, settings, presets etc. in the future.
That'd be mighty appreciated.

With that out if the way, I've taken a quick look at the new SDK and found the issue.
From my github issues page:

Quote: Chamfer Maker uses SendModellingCommand internally which instruments the C4D internal bevel tool by setting its options and executing it. However, as stated previously, the bevel tool was replaced with a new version. Trouble is, the R15 SDK in its current form still includes the interface for the old incarnation of the bevel tool. So SendModellingCommand accepts the settings as if it were the old bevelling tool but then just fails as it tries to execute the new tool. The effect is that no modified geometry is returned effectively killing all edges.

I posted a topic in MAXON's dev forums asking for how to properly access the new bevel tool with SendModellingCommand.

Btw, that's also why AMa_ParallelMode still works. This is only relevant if Chamfer Maker is put under a HyperNURBS though.

09 September 2013
Hi Andre,

I also used Chamfer Maker very often and look forward to the update. Since your plugin uses the internal bevel, the new version will also have the new algorithms I suppose. This would really be great! I guess you will deactivate the interactive handles then?

Cheers,
Chris

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by AdamT: I think you're right. I also think that if you choose Bevel Mode>Solid you get essentially the same functionality as Chamfermaker.

My findings are different. as long as you do not melt all plain surfaces into n-goons you hardly get any good results with the new bevel tool :(

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by Jops: My findings are different. as long as you do not melt all plain surfaces into n-goons you hardly get any good results with the new bevel tool :(

Concerning n-gons: I had some issues especially with those. If the the triangulation of the n-gon is very different from the original quads before conversion to n-gon, the bevel goes crazy in some cases. And it was understandable in those cases. I triangulated the n-gons and the resulting triangles/quads were problematic, hence the bevel failed. So I started to stick with triangles and quads again.
Maybe in your case the flow of edges was bad before conversion to n-gon and you were lucky with the new internal triangulation of the n-gon?
I also had some minor issues with concave edges close to plain surfaces (mainly visible in shading since long thin triangles were generated). I solved that with another bevel mitering mode. All in all, the tool generates nice results, but there are situations where you have to play around with the options and take a closer look at the original geometry. But this seems reasonable to me.

09 September 2013
beveling poligonsurfaces is a very complicated mathematical task.
therefor I dont want to be to rude. any development is good. I just was anojed by the marketing talk.... the propably best bevel in the industry....
well theese where my results:

the geometry results from a bevel. if you convert the plane to a n-goone, the bevel works just fine.

I understand the differents between the definitions of polys and n-goons. but I would love to have a button to switch on "edges on plain surfaces can be moved around by the bevel"
or "the bevel is allowed to make new polys on the plain surface"
that way I would not have to change all flat surfaces into n-goones.
that might work well for your own modelling workflow, but if you have to bevel tesselated construction material. well it might be a bit cumbersome.

best regards
Jops

09 September 2013
sorry but no way

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by andreberg: With that out if the way, I've taken a quick look at the new SDK and found the issue.

Your work is most appreciated! Our studio in NY uses ChamferMaker quite frequently, and as much as I'm glad Maxon brought us improved bevels, your plugin in indispensable. Thanks for the updates!

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by Jops: beveling poligonsurfaces is a very complicated mathematical task.
therefor I dont want to be to rude. any development is good. I just was anojed by the marketing talk.... the propably best bevel in the industry....
well theese where my results:

the geometry results from a bevel. if you convert the plane to a n-goone, the bevel works just fine.

I understand the differents between the definitions of polys and n-goons. but I would love to have a button to switch on "edges on plain surfaces can be moved around by the bevel"
or "the bevel is allowed to make new polys on the plain surface"
that way I would not have to change all flat surfaces into n-goones.
that might work well for your own modelling workflow, but if you have to bevel tesselated construction material. well it might be a bit cumbersome.

best regards
Jops

I think there isn't much wrong with the marketing, this bevel is definitely at the top of the charts in comparison to the other methods, as it succeeds more often where other fail. (This doesn't mean that it can't still fail.)
I think for some of you the meshes you showed you are kind of asking for miracles.

I've said this every time people ask for bevels.

A new bevel tool doesn't solve the need to do work, it simply means that it can help out.
So yes, you may need to prep the model still, but at least after you prep the model you can get a nice bevel...rather than garbage.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by chi: A new bevel tool doesn't solve the need to do work, it simply means that it can help out.
So yes, you may need to prep the model still, but at least after you prep the model you can get a nice bevel...rather than garbage.

you are right. I also think that there is no bevel tool that works in all circumstances.

the thing that makes me wonder is:
N-goon is a definition thing. I define tris and quads to be one. but the tris and quads are just blendet out but they are still there.

if I don't define them as an n-goone the bevel does not work.
In the moment I define them as a n-goone the tool works. (with all the quads and tris in there just hidden)

can't there be a button: "pretend it was a n-goon"?

best regards
Jops

09 September 2013
Thanks in advance for any upgrade to R15 and the past upgrades.

/ron

09 September 2013
Any news on the state of ChamferMaker for R15?

Thread Closed share thread