bevel generator plugin request

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
bevel generator plugin request

hi there, im so glad maxon improved bevel in r15. works like a dream. but sometimes i dont want to have a fixed bevel. want it to be more flexible. i used to work with chamfermaker plugin since years; daily. unfortunately it doesnt work anymore with r15. so if any dev is ready to work on a bevel generator for r15 with all of its nice bevel function (think of the topology tab) you have my money fore sure! and im sure others will love that too

Old 09 September 2013   #2
Ouch, I just checked here when I saw this post... can I cry now?
I have so many custom/xpresso semi-parametric objects that I have built during years and now they are broken.
I guess I have to stick with R14 and put R15 on the shelf.
I add my voice as well, it is so important to have a bevel generator that I´m willing to pay too.

Cheers
JC

Old 09 September 2013   #3
André Berg

That really is pants. I too love using Chamfermaker and will really miss it. Hopefullly the developer, André Berg I believe will be able to update the plug in, as it has many unique and advantageous functions.

The developer has previously released V12 and V14 versions so hopefully if we are patient and understanding of any other workload they have a new V15 version will be released, In the meantime we will have to work around the problem.

Old 09 September 2013   #4
What I really miss are the chamfer and loop tools available in MAX. Some one would do well if they could bring these features into C4D.

Check out Quad Chamfer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBoA5zmky2w
http://vimeo.com/43543726

2010 Graphite modeling tools
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYK3MP1G910

Old 09 September 2013   #5
Originally Posted by iplay: What I really miss are the chamfer and loop tools available in MAX.

Not sure about the loop tools, but the fixed Bevel tool in R15 seems to give the same results as the start of that video anyway, as does the Bevel in Maya. Up to R15 though the Bevel in C4D was pretty much useless as far as I can tell. I'm not really a poly modeler though so I could be wrong, but it never seemed to work for me, I'd often export even simple meshes to Maya to do it there. I guess in R15 now I don't have to.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 09 September 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Horganovski: Not sure about the loop tools, but the fixed Bevel tool in R15 seems to give the same results as the start of that video anyway, as does the Bevel in Maya. Up to R15 though the Bevel in C4D was pretty much useless as far as I can tell. I'm not really a poly modeler though so I could be wrong, but it never seemed to work for me, I'd often export even simple meshes to Maya to do it there. I guess in R15 now I don't have to.

Cheers,
Brian

I think you're right. I also think that if you choose Bevel Mode>Solid you get essentially the same functionality as Chamfermaker.

Old 09 September 2013   #7
Whats nice about chamfermaker is that it is non destructive. You can add or remove the bevels with a single click, and fine tune them as needed. Also the ability to restrict the edges to selections, polys etc was very powerful.

Getting stuck with a destructive method of beveling is not good.

Old 09 September 2013   #8
Does solid chamfer still work with R15? This plugin has a generator object.

Old 09 September 2013   #9
Originally Posted by xdennisx: Does solid chamfer still work with R15? This plugin has a generator object.

No, that was the OP's issue

Old 09 September 2013   #10
I thought solid chamfer and chamfermaker are 2 different plugins?

Old 09 September 2013   #11
Ok, solid chamfer is still working in R15 and it has a generator object... non-destructive like chamfermaker. You can get a demo here: http://www.kuroyumes-developmentzon...lidchamfer-2-0/

Old 09 September 2013   #12
Originally Posted by xdennisx: I thought solid chamfer and chamfermaker are 2 different plugins?

Ah, yes, sorry...early morning post. Chamfer/Chamfer and I'm lost

Old 09 September 2013   #13
i know solid chamfer and own a copy but noticed that the generator is pretty slow. specially when you use more of them in a big scene.

Old 09 September 2013   #14
OMG, Chamfermaker doesn't work on R15?? That's one of the plugins I most use, it's absolutely superb for non-destructing bevels.

One vote more for upgrading Chamfermaker to R15. Ready to pay for it.

Old 09 September 2013   #15
Hey guys,

I am the guy who updated the original plugin so it works with R12 through R14.

I will be looking into getting it updated for R15 once I get ahold of the SDK docs for R15. I don't even have access to R15 yet so it can be a while but I will try.

I opened a bug report at my source code repository for the Chamfer Maker plugin regarding this issue.
You can check back there for progress and you can also follow me on twitter if you want.

bug report: http://github.com/andreberg/C4D-Cha...er-R12/issues/1
twitter: @bergmedia

Cheers

André

Thread Closed share thread