R15 Impressions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
The curser nonsense is a R14 thing and should be fixed in R15, but it's not. Setting it to 1 is your only option unless there's a setting I've missed in R15. Drives me bonkers.

C4D XL, ZBrush, Motion Builder

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by ilay: Patrick, from my small experience(6-7 years in cg), newtek lightwave has support to hold old plugins and scripts.
Maxon is s_cked company of developers(ok, one of) which dropped most plugins and entusiasm of 3d party devs

I would say that part of the issue with 3rd party development is the users. (Most devs I have talked too get about 1-2 months of sales before their plugins hit pirate sites and then their income drops to $0)
Another part is market.
And then the smallest part is MAXON's support (Many devs have priority access to new versions, and are able to contact maxon directly.)

If anything I would say that there has never been a better time for MAXON's 3rd party developers.

As the reach of the application spreads it provides 3rd party developers with a bigger selection of possible clients, which means that a) the developers we currently have (Thank you all for sticking through it) have a better chance at creating a stable source of income, which encourages continued development of plugins. and b) more new developers are being attracted to the package (covering new development and ports of existing plugins.)

I'm sure there are still issues yes, and I'm positive there are some devs who have had bad experiences, but overall C4Ds 3rd party market has never been healthier...and I only hope to see that trend continue.

09 September 2013
jimzepellin

@jimzepellin,

yes, i totally agree with your opinion about the "cursor-radius-nonsense", if you have to select only objects in the viewport. That should be simple and fast ! Especially if you have a big scene. Sadly this radius-feature lag's really strong

What makes sense for this "live-selection" radius is, if you are in polygon / point / edge mode and you have to select some of these elements. But for simple objects selection this "radius"-feature should have the ability to be disabled, or it should be fast as the cursor itself. Imho.

09 September 2013
Hopefully we'll get an update for R15 that fixes this.

C4D XL, ZBrush, Motion Builder

09 September 2013
FBX support is still pretty lackluster, I'm really disappointed by this.

-Animation on morphs don't get imported
-Skinning is butchered every so often.

I now FBX is twitchy and changes every so often, but Man I would love to have finally a fully supported version, even if only 2010 or 2012. If cactus dan made it, I'm sure Maxon can too.

I think this can be considered as a bug, no?

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by DesignAmyte: yes, i totally agree with your opinion about the "cursor-radius-nonsense", if you have to select only objects in the viewport. That should be simple and fast ! Especially if you have a big scene. Sadly this radius-feature lag's really strong

What makes sense for this "live-selection" radius is, if you are in polygon / point / edge mode and you have to select some of these elements. But for simple objects selection this "radius"-feature should have the ability to be disabled, or it should be fast as the cursor itself. Imho.

I made exactly this argument on the beta when that feature/bug was introduced in R14. Got nowhere with that obviously :(

The logic of it is completely lost on me. 'Ok, so our program has the slowest scene response on the market.. lets make that even more obvious by adding a visual cue to constantly remind the user of this.'
What's worst for me is that the bloody thing lags even in a completely empty scene! It just screams amateur to me that a fundamental thing like a cursor doesn't work properly. I still use R13 as much as possible here to avoid it.
I've seen guys from Maxon say a good way to work around it is to use the Move tool instead of Live Selection, ie even they acknowledge they nobbled a useful tool and turned it into a visual distraction. Boo! I say Fix it or give us the option to turn it off.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 09 September 2013 at 09:22 PM.

09 September 2013
Wow,

thats a bit sad, that they didn´t finished it yet. Yes, even in a empty scene this radius is laging
quiet well. Stupidly its the same case on my extreme hardcore workstations with 2x Xeons and a powerful nVidia quadro. Strange

Anyway, I stay with r13. Even if I have to work with r15 for a client, I use r13 as much as possible, cause its really fast and stable. (As i read r15 has still some bugs around: displacer, live-selection, team-render issues, fbx.....so I would switch, only when these bugs has been fixed)

Beside that, r15 has some attractive features and the development is great. I hope the next update is the bug-free one

Last edited by DesignAmyte : 09 September 2013 at 10:21 PM.

09 September 2013
Well, keep in mind that there's no such thing as a 'bug free' version, never has been and never will be most likely (that's not a comment on Maxon, it's the same for every program, even the operating systems we run the programs on are full of bugs). So really you have to pick your poison. On a recent job I had to revert from R14.042 to R14.034 as the client specifically asked for a R14 file but the .042 update broke some FBX features that worked fine in version .034) so I had no choice but to revert.
Having said that R13 does seem more stable in general on my machines here than R14 so I do tend to favor it anyway, again that might not be the case for someone else with a different hardware/driver configuration, it's just been my experience with it. Cinema is just one of several programs I use regularly now so when it doesn't work I don't always have the luxury of changing things around just to suit it. If everything else is running smoothly I'm reluctant to start tampering.

Regarding FBX, I've never had a version of C4D where it worked perfectly, even with R15 now it's still not quite right. I tend to use CD FBX instead where I can as it's generally more robust, but on some jobs clients specify they want rigs built with the native tools so I spend some time going back and forth between Maya and several versions of Cinema trying to get all the objects I need across and then merging everything into one file and rebuilding as needed. Not much fun but it gets the job done in the end.

What annoys me most about the live tool selection thing (can you tell I was annoyed? LOL) is that it's not considered a 'bug', it's a 'feature' that some people don't like and therefore feel is a bug. But unless it is considered a bug by Maxon it will never be 'fixed' sadly.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 09 September 2013 at 11:17 PM.

09 September 2013
The live selection circle delay is unfortunately a limitation currently. It has to do that with the fact that it needs to be drawn in a separate thread than the cursor. Mostly because post R13 we can use that circle while hovering to highlight several elements (in components mode), which was not possible in prior versions.

So, we got some and lost some, but I agree it's aggravating. I'd personally rather not have the circle at all and make do without the highlighting feature.

Hence why I use the Move tool for most things now, but it can be dangerous while animating, especially when using autokeyframing.

09 September 2013
Yep,

you are right. Nowhere out there any Software is bug free. I meant that the next update should eliminate these few known bugs I mentioned. That should make some users happy.

In r13 i used fbx export for 2 different game engines. Unity and Game-Studio i think. There were some mo-cap characters that i modified and some characters i animated by hand. In my case I never get something wrong due the export. Everything worked fine later in the game. This was my r13 experience. What i´ve also done due export is loading this exported fbx back into cinema 4d, because to test it. This way I can systematically trace errors (if there were some). So errors will not come through into the game engine.

Annoying live-selection . Interesting. Didn´t know that. I thought it was a bug. Hm, maybe the Dev.Team could be so kind to implement an "on - off" switch. Would be nice !

09 September 2013
i remember someone saying that removing the circle isnt that easy.
cant remember the exact reason but im sure if it was easy to remove they would have removed it by now

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by marcorabellini: And here's some copy you can cut and paste into the suggestion box:

Please be aware that copy pasted suggestions will not have nearly as much impact on those reading them than individual opinions.
This is not a voting mechanism, but a way to communicate individual needs to Maxon.

Cheers
Björn

09 September 2013
bjorn, with all due respect.

In light of the "only 10 compaints about TR" situation, you should be asking yourselves if your web form submission paradagim is delivering the user feedback you require, to give your users what they want. Or if it is just "in the way" and not working.

Telling people that "copy pasted suggestions will not have nearly as much impact" reaffirms my opinion on how well Maxon is listening(or wants to listen)

In this day and age a company like Maxon should have a modern ticket based system in place, for both ideas, suggestions and bug reporting.
Make it worth peoples time communicating with you, and they might reward you with the treasure of their opinion. You can then reward them, with proof that they are being taken seriously, in the form of an accountable ticket number.

Last edited by tapaul : 09 September 2013 at 04:10 PM.

09 September 2013
Quote: in the form of an accountable ticket number.

It might not be much, but a form of return receipt and ticket would certainly feel from my side that I'm not sending suggestions to the spam folder.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by tapaul: bjorn, with all due respect.

In light of the "only 10 compaints about TR" situation, you should be asking yourselves if your web form submission paradagim is delivering the user feedback you require, to give your users what they want. Or if it is just "in the way" and not working.

Telling people that "copy pasted suggestions will not have nearly as much impact" reaffirms my opionion on how well Maxon is listening(or wants to listen)

In this day and age a company like Maxon should have a modern ticket based system in place, for both ideas, suggestions and bug reporting.
Make it worth peoples time communicating with you, and they might reward you with the treasure of their opinion. You can then reward them, with proof that they are being taken seriously, in the form of an accountable ticket number.

Quoted For Agreement

Thread Closed share thread