R15 Impressions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Switching software versions mid-job is never a good idea. In addition to that rule, I always wait for the .1 update (usually a month or two later) to start using it in production.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: Is anyone having any issues when importing R14 scenes into R15? I always get the heeby jeebies thinking about transferring a commercial scene from an old version to a new version mid-production.

As Mark says of course, but at the same time I could not resist loading in a project I'm working on in R14. So far so good, although I still have to check a important plug-in. The renders look the same to me, but the bonus is that with the new Embree tracer, render times dropped to better then halve the time, at least in the frames that I checked.

Regards, Robert

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by LemonNado: Found the scenes I was expecting on the goodies disk in the contents browser. Lot's of cool stuff in the library!

Where exactly? I can't see any goodies disk in the content browser :-(

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by Robert Glotzbach: As Mark says of course, but at the same time I could not resist loading in a project I'm working on in R14. So far so good, although I still have to check a important plug-in. The renders look the same to me, but the bonus is that with the new Embree tracer, render times dropped to better then halve the time, at least in the frames that I checked.

Regards, Robert

I use Vray, so I wouldn't be seeing much of a difference there.

I'll probably wait until the end of the month/early October before using it in production. By then I might have 1.8 & nodal materials as well.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by Jorge Arango: Where exactly? I can't see any goodies disk in the content browser :-(

Sorry... bad sentence.... I was expecting scenes on the goodies disk. There were none.
After examining the contents browser I found a lot of sample scenes. Also the materials seem to be updated.

In general I am rather happy with the progress in this release. Rendering did become much faster for the things I do. Next thing to play with are the dynamics.

Rainer

09 September 2013
Scultp tools + subdivision surfaced geometry, dont redraw proper!
sculpt tools in morph tag in post deformer mode (on any deformer) is terrible glich :(
old "sculpt" tools work ok in same cases...

any solution ??or any tested this?

Cinema studio r15.037 demo

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by popedead: Scultp tools + subdivision surfaced geometry, dont redraw proper!
sculpt tools in morph tag in post deformer mode (on any deformer) is terrible glich :(
old "sculpt" tools work ok in same cases...

any solution ??or any tested this?

Cinema studio r15.037 demo

Of course it's been tested. These are known issues at the moment (the HN refresh one is a limitation, hopefully it can be circumvented in some way, soon).

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by LemonNado: Next thing to play with are the dynamics.

Rainer

Were there updates to the dynamics? Did I miss something?

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by marcorabellini: I usually copy the old "library" and "prefs" folders to the desktop. I then copy these same folders from the new install and save those somewhere else, in case something breaks. Then carefully go one by one (or as much as you dare) and make sure nothing breaks along the way. It's clunky but it works pretty well. Then there's always so manual updating of the new version necessary.

I wouldn't really recommend copying the Prefs folder... It's not entirely unlikely that the format of the stuff we write in that folder changed in a new version. The prefs folder can be deleted, it's freshly regenerated by Cinema on the next start.

09 September 2013
Howdy,
Originally Posted by dann_stubbs: anybody have any info on any plugins that die under R15?

a couple weeks ago i got an update for SteadyBake and SteadyCam that were for R15, but not really seen any other emails about R15 versions

i've yet to try moving my plugin folder over - sure was a mess last year with R14 and those plugins that locked up C4D - hopefully nothing like that this year.

dann

The CD Plugins R14 versions seem to work fine in R15. But, you may need to re-download and reinstall them. Recently, I uploaded a version of the R14 plugins with the version check in them disabled so that they will load in R15 until I can get the R15 versions compiled.

I think this time when I compile the R15 versions, I won't put the version check in them so they could possibly load in R16 when it comes out next year.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

cactus3d.com, cactus3d-Plugins, CD Character Plugins forum

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by LemonNado: Sorry... bad sentence.... I was expecting scenes on the goodies disk. There were none.
After examining the contents browser I found a lot of sample scenes. Also the materials seem to be updated.

Rainer

Thanks Ranier

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by c4d-jack: I wouldn't really recommend copying the Prefs folder... It's not entirely unlikely that the format of the stuff we write in that folder changed in a new version. The prefs folder can be deleted, it's freshly regenerated by Cinema on the next start.

And what is the proper way to move all the settings to a new Cinema version? I'm mainly interested in migrating the color scheme, many people spend much time to customize the interface colors and I doubt anyone would like to repeat this process for R15.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: Were there updates to the dynamics? Did I miss something?

AFAIK there's no addition to dynamics.

Originally Posted by NiklasR: And what is the proper way to move all the settings to a new Cinema version? I'm mainly interested in migrating the color scheme, many people spend much time to customize the interface colors and I doubt anyone would like to repeat this process for R15.

Interface colors are saved as <color scheme name>.col in the prefs folder.
I actually re-skinned my scheme as well, so what I did was in the installation directory>resource>schemes I duplicated the one closest to mine, edited the PSDs, then saved my .col file from the prefs folder into there. At least that way even if I delete my prefs, I can load up my custom color scheme from the Prefs menu.

As for the other settings, I copy c4d_M_GLOBAL_POPUP.res and shortcuttable.res for my custom commands.
CINEMA 4D.prf should contain the pref settings, though I'm not sure if it properly carries over from version to version. Normally I just run through all the settings manually in case I missed something.

09 September 2013
Unfortunatly there is currently no officially safe way to transfer preferences from one version to the other. The format and content of the different preference files may change between versions. So please transfer them at your own risk.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by bobtronic: Unfortunatly there is currently no officially safe way to transfer preferences from one version to the other. The format and content of the different preference files may change between versions. So please transfer them at your own risk.

That is the official line ... but I've been doing it since R7 without any problems.

But don't have R15 yet so can't say if that holds true....

Thread Closed share thread