cmNodes Plugin Preview [C4D Node Material System]

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #31
Originally Posted by Zendorf: Are you creating this so that the existing C4D materials/shaders can be viewed and edited in a nodal way or are you actually extending the native shading system with new possibilities that can't be achieved with the existing material system?

This basically provides a new way to work with the native shading system. It's not for editing existing materials. When you drop an existing material onto the node editor it will "explode" the material, but only one level deep.

Originally Posted by Zendorf: If I use the plugin to create a material and then send this scene to a client, will the materials transfer over if they don't have the plugin? You are obviously adding some custom effects, so would these just be stripped out from the material if the plugin is not on a machine, but leave the rest of the material intact?

I've been exploring the idea of a "baking" function which would try to collapse the tree into material channels (for a perfect match this would require shader versions of all of the nodes), or as mentioned, a "runtime only" version of the node system. I think the latter would be much easier, but would leave you with non-editable materials. So to answer your question, I'm still trying to work this out.

Originally Posted by Zendorf: Any plans on creating a solution for layered speculars or a better anisotropic solution?

I had toyed with the idea of making this into a separate material system, providing nodes for various illumination models which would open up plenty of room for layered specs and such. That may still happen at some point, but no concrete plans.

Originally Posted by Zendorf: Will I be able to use the plugin for hair or Sketch/toon materials?

The nodes work through a special channel shader that points to a branch in the node tree, so you can use the node system anywhere that you can use a standard shader including Vray and Hair materials. I don't believe the Sketch material has any shader inputs, so that will not work.

Originally Posted by JoelOtron: Out of curiosity, besides the ability to reuse a single shader, bitmap or group to effect multiple channels (like the reference shader does) what would be the advantages of a nodal shader system? That ability in itself is a biggie of course, but anything else?

Other than reusability I think visibility is an advantage. I think the reference shader is awesome and went a long way in giving C4D's material system some of that reusability. But I feel I get a better picture of what my data is doing when I can see how it's all connected. It all boils down to personal preference.

Old 09 September 2013   #32
for me the main question is, does it work with or in xpresso?
if anyone else did ask before, sorry i didnt read the hole thread

an integration within xpresso would be the most wanted thing i guess,
so you can drive materials depending on objects or collisions and so on.

but looks nice anyway, congrats

Old 09 September 2013   #33
Originally Posted by dirtyharry: for me the main question is, does it work with or in xpresso?

Your already can with our existing material system, so I imagine this should be able to. if you mean xpresso nodes right inside it's nodal interface then I'd wager no probably not.

Old 09 September 2013   #34
Originally Posted by dirtyharry: for me the main question is, does it work with or in xpresso?

looks like it does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHOKGTmpEEU

Lee

Old 09 September 2013   #35
wow,really cool...will get this for sure as soon as there is vray support

Old 09 September 2013   #36
Thanks for the feedback Chris. Looking forward to trying it out, especially nodes with the forthcoming Vray 1.8 will be a powerful combo

Old 09 September 2013   #37
Here's the Vray preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxg9g41gjt0

Takes a little bit of time to set up; looking forward to drag and drop support.

Last edited by LukeLetellier : 09 September 2013 at 02:11 PM.

Old 09 September 2013   #38
Been away for a week, and when I get back I find that my numero uno feature request has been answered. Made a point of asking every release since v7, it's been a while. Awesome news, workflow looks great, this is exactly how I want to make materials. I'm all the way in ;-)

Old 09 September 2013   #39
we will work on this with Chris for an improved/easier vray workflow....

Stefan
http://rhino.io

Old 09 September 2013   #40
features

Originally Posted by serge-m: FINALLY !!!

I wonder why Maxon still hasn't done that yet...

because then they would really have a feature for a new release. I still donīt get it why 3rd party developers (sometimes it is only one person) accomplish such great plugins as xparticles now as it seems cmnodes.

Donīt know why Maxon doesnīt buy it, like tp and many more before... MSA gives financial stability and a lot of promises were made with itīs introduction...

my 1,5 cent
j

Old 09 September 2013   #41
Please bring this out yesterday. I am working on something that needs extensive shader sharing and this would be terrific.

Old 10 October 2013   #42
Originally Posted by rsquires: Please bring this out yesterday.

Richard, I'm working on it...

More info here: cmstuff

Old 10 October 2013   #43
Originally Posted by c-montesano: Richard, I'm working on it...

More info here: cmstuff

Nice one. Looks terrific

Old 10 October 2013   #44
I tried to implement something like this some years back but the API was not as mature as it is nowadays. It is great that NiklasR is doing this. It might be worth supporting this in InterPoser Pro to *finally* support the Poser ShaderNode material system (not supported anywhere else) for those who eventually have both his and my plugins. Look forward to checking this out soon!

C4D-R16, VS2012, Xcode 4.6

Old 10 October 2013   #45
Originally Posted by Kuroyume0161: I tried to implement something like this some years back but the API was not as mature as it is nowadays. It is great that NiklasR is doing this.
I think there might be a misunderstanding here. Chris is doing it, not me. I just posted it as I stated when the thread started.

Best,
-Niklas

Thread Closed share thread