cmNodes Plugin Preview [C4D Node Material System]

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #16
Originally Posted by lllab: regarding VRay question above, yes it will be for it: Chris is a friend of us, we are working together with him to make the node based editor work perfect in V-Ray C4d.

Stefan
vrayforc4d

I bet this made a lot of peeps very happy including me!

Old 08 August 2013   #17
Originally Posted by Kokosing: Could you possibly list what you've got in there for nodes?

Sure, here's what I have so far:

Input: Solid Color, Texture (to load any image/shader)

Adjust: Clamp, Colorspace, Curves, Filter, Grade, Math

Channels: Blens, Copy, Shuffle

Effects 2D: Blur, DirBlur, Distort, Edge Detect, Emboss, Matrix, Normal Map, Transform

Output/Material (for linking branches to a material).

The "Shaders" node menu simply lists all available shaders in C4D and will create a loaded Texture node when selected.

Originally Posted by Kokosing: -Will it support Macs?

Yes, this works with OSX.

Originally Posted by Kokosing: -Will we be able to use it on Vray materials?

Yes, but at the moment the setup is manual. You can't currently drop a Vray material onto the editor like you can with a standard material. But as Stefan said we are working on better integration.

Originally Posted by DesignAmyte: Does anybody knows how far the development status is ?

With the exception of improved Vray support and a few outstanding issues, this is just about ready to go.

Old 08 August 2013   #18
Looks really well thought out, but the idea of having to buy a third party plugin to do what every other 3d app does out of the box (aside from Modo) is somewhat depressing. Still, I am quite interested in trying it out.

Chris, I am not sure how much more extensible the C4D shading system will be with this. Are you creating this so that the existing C4D materials/shaders can be viewed and edited in a nodal way or are you actually extending the native shading system with new possibilities that can't be achieved with the existing material system?

If I use the plugin to create a material and then send this scene to a client, will the materials transfer over if they don't have the plugin? You are obviously adding some custom effects, so would these just be stripped out from the material if the plugin is not on a machine, but leave the rest of the material intact?

Any plans on creating a solution for layered speculars or a better anisotropic solution? Will I be able to use the plugin for hair or Sketch/toon materials?

Yes, many questions, as I am intrigued

Old 08 August 2013   #19
Originally Posted by Zendorf: Looks really well thought out, but the idea of having to buy a third party plugin to do what every other 3d app does out of the box (aside from Modo)

3DS Max has nodal texturing these days?

Old 08 August 2013   #20
people keep saying c4d is the only 3d app without node material system.
but none of the other apps have c4d material system which i think is much better in most cases.
im not say a node system isnt needed but i also think the other apps need to adopt some of c4d material system.

Old 08 August 2013   #21
Originally Posted by dataflow: people keep saying c4d is the only 3d app without node material system.
but none of the other apps have c4d material system which i think is much better in most cases.
im not say a node system isnt needed but i also think the other apps need to adopt some of c4d material system.

The C4D material system is definetly one of the weakest points of C4D. We are not even able to load textures in all channels which is necessary for advanced shading (textures for reflection blurriness for example). Also referencing is not possible without plugins.

Old 08 August 2013   #22
Originally Posted by AdamT: 3DS Max has nodal texturing these days?

Not that I have ever used it, but they did add the Slate material editor a few years back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLar6qhZKUY

The Octane C4D plugin dev is also working on a nodal system:

http://vimeo.com/71116497

On a slightly related note, since Blenders' Cycles renderer has recently changed to a more permissive license(Apache), an enterprising third party dev could actually port it over to C4D. It is a very sweet renderer somewhere between Arnold and Octane and can use the CPU or GPU. Theoretically Maxon themsleves could integrate it much like they did with Bullet dynamics or Intel's Embree.....I won't hold my breath though...

Old 08 August 2013   #23
Originally Posted by Zendorf: Not that I have ever used it, but they did add the Slate material editor a few years back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLar6qhZKUY

Cool, I didn't know about that.

Quote: The Octane C4D plugin dev is also working on a nodal system:

http://vimeo.com/71116497

Nice! Looking forward to that.

Old 09 September 2013   #24
Originally Posted by Zendorf:
Chris, I am not sure how much more extensible the C4D shading system will be with this. Are you creating this so that the existing C4D materials/shaders can be viewed and edited in a nodal way or are you actually extending the native shading system with new possibilities that can't be achieved with the existing material system?

If I use the plugin to create a material and then send this scene to a client, will the materials transfer over if they don't have the plugin? You are obviously adding some custom effects, so would these just be stripped out from the material if the plugin is not on a machine, but leave the rest of the material intact?

Any plans on creating a solution for layered speculars or a better anisotropic solution? Will I be able to use the plugin for hair or Sketch/toon materials?

Curious to know answers to these three questions as well.

Last edited by LukeLetellier : 09 September 2013 at 12:56 AM.

Old 09 September 2013   #25
Maybe there'll be a version to render scenes using the cmNodes plugin, but not edit it? Just a suggestions which I liked to throw in at this point.

Old 09 September 2013   #26
Originally Posted by NiklasR: Maybe there'll be a version to render scenes using the cmNodes plugin, but not edit it? Just a suggestions which I liked to throw in at this point.

Or to be able to "Make Editable" the node materials - which means, they will be converted to a normal C4D material.

Old 09 September 2013   #27
Originally Posted by NiklasR: Maybe there'll be a version to render scenes using the cmNodes plugin, but not edit it? Just a suggestions which I liked to throw in at this point.

Runtime mode like Cactus Dan's plugins?
But for single render-client or render-farm/cloud(team-render)

Last edited by ilay : 09 September 2013 at 11:26 AM.

Old 09 September 2013   #28
Out of curiosity, besides the ability to reuse a single shader, bitmap or group to effect multiple channels (like the reference shader does) what would be the advantages of a nodal shader system? That ability in itself is a biggie of course, but anything else?

I'm well aware that node base systems are now the standard (maya, XSI, nuke to name a few) but just wondering what other benefits a texture tree, and one that is separate from the built in xpresso system, brings to the table.

And by the way--looks like you did great job Chris. --not meaning to challenge you in any way. Been a longtime fan (and customer!) of your tools. My questions here are posed purely out of ignorance of the pros and cons. Thanks

Old 09 September 2013   #29
Seems it would benefit those who use layers/fusions/blend channels.

I can't see myself using this heavily, the current system is fine for most of what I do.
But also can't deny there are certain procedural materials I've created that would have been much easier to manage, if they'd been visible in a tree view, vs trying to recall where they exist within a layer structure.

I suppose it depends on how deep you dig with materials, as nodes would let you dig much deeper.

Old 09 September 2013   #30
Originally Posted by JoelOtron: Out of curiosity, besides the ability to reuse a single shader, bitmap or group to effect multiple channels (like the reference shader does) what would be the advantages of a nodal shader system? That ability in itself is a biggie of course, but anything else?

I'm well aware that node base systems are now the standard (maya, XSI, nuke to name a few) but just wondering what other benefits a texture tree, and one that is separate from the built in xpresso system, brings to the table.

And by the way--looks like you did great job Chris. --not meaning to challenge you in any way. Been a longtime fan (and customer!) of your tools. My questions here are posed purely out of ignorance of the pros and cons. Thanks

Nodal is most important in procedural workflows, but in some case like vray, where you might want many maps to control the various parameters of a material this is super helpful.
Especially since you can source 1 bit map, throw in some color corrections for each channel, and boom.

Now the client wants a different texture, drop that in and everything updates automatically.

It's a sweet deal.

I think a runtime version would be fine.

Thread Closed share thread