Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

For animation it should all be largely as efficient as it was before, afterall its just copying a project to a machine, rendering and sending it back. For stills though, it depends how big the job is; the smaller the job, the more the network speed will weigh against you. If the image takes 60 seconds to render, then on a gigabit network, anything more than half a dozen machines and it wont be worth using them, as it will take longer to send the project out and get the results back than the rendering takes.

A larger project though, say a 1 hour render for a still, I doubt anyone would hit any realistic limit for rendering a still of that sort of magnitude.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #17
dann_stubbs
insert witty tag here

Dann Stubbs
Systems Admin - ex 3D guy
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
For animation it should all be largely as efficient as it was before, afterall its just copying a project to a machine, rendering and sending it back. For stills though, it depends how big the job is; the smaller the job, the more the network speed will weigh against you. If the image takes 60 seconds to render, then on a gigabit network, anything more than half a dozen machines and it wont be worth using them, as it will take longer to send the project out and get the results back than the rendering takes.

A larger project though, say a 1 hour render for a still, I doubt anyone would hit any realistic limit for rendering a still of that sort of magnitude.

thanks for weighing in here mash, i appreciate the insight.

while also not wanting to take this VRAY thread away into a team render direction i can't help but ask one question about your reply.

say you do have lots of machines set up in TR, and it works fine with animations and the full frame rendering - no performance issues etc, can you or how can you then set off a distributed render to your list but not send to the whole TR clients list?

basically if say the performance of DR on gigabit ethernet peaks at say 10 TR clients, can you or how can you send a DR to just 10 of the TR nodes? and not bog everything down by having 40 nodes all churning up the ethernet (or worse crashing the TR nodes)

i know i will be testing this first hand soon enough, but curiosity has got me and if you can share the info that is welcomed

thanks

dann
-

Old 08-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #18
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhrtodaWNtY

Skip to 5:00. That list is a list of all render nodes, to the left is a checkbox for which machines you want to use. So you could pick half and set off a still image, then pick the other half and set off another project, in theory.

I dont have any machines here right now so I cant guarantee you can send off two renders at the same time, but at a minimum you can limit the render to certain clients.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #19
dann_stubbs
insert witty tag here

Dann Stubbs
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dann_stubbs
i know i will be testing this first hand soon enough, but curiosity has got me and if you can share the info that is welcomed

just installing R15 now, but so far no sign of a separate serial number/way to install a stand alone TR control a la NET Server, so seems a $4K expense for those who want to run TR on a central computer - ugh.

and/or a floating license at $1k and then the third party render manager to run it (at whatever $ expense that is) and then the reality that you still can't render DR under the third party render manager so really it goes back to above $4K if that is needed (which is what was being pointed to as the reason for killing NET Server)

also 5GB for a TR client only install?! really?

have not launched it yet, but may tonight or tomorrow i suppose and check it out

dann
-

Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #20
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Most of that will be the content library which projects may reference.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #21
fireball101
Vietnam Veteran

portfolio
christoph mensak
Architectural Designer
Düsseldorf, Germany

Germany 13.10pm 4th September`13

DING DONG

Attached Images
File Type: jpg R15.jpg (82.7 KB, 65 views)

Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #22
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

Hey Dann,

Have you looked at ButterflyNetRender ? They have a new version out with lots of features, supporting C4D and it seems quite a lot cheaper than Thinkbox deadline for Instance. Haven't used it myself, but they seem to have good reference on their site.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
dann_stubbs
insert witty tag here

Dann Stubbs
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM
Hey Dann,

Have you looked at ButterflyNetRender ? They have a new version out with lots of features, supporting C4D and it seems quite a lot cheaper than Thinkbox deadline for Instance. Haven't used it myself, but they seem to have good reference on their site.

yes BNR is one of the render manages i own. i've had that one for 10 or so years, used to use it with maya

i've been talking with paul (developer) about the new version, he's adding some stuff i've asked for in the new release, but i'm not sure what i'll do about the missing NET issue and R15 as of right now

thanks for the thoughts,

dann
-

Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #24
deepshade
Expert
portfolio
Paul T
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball101

DING DONG

Wish the UK had a download option. Got a copy of my invoice and called to check shipping date. Apparently as I hadn't renewed my MSA until late in the month I'm not even on the shipping list!

Last edited by deepshade : 09-06-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #25
kromekat
Daydreamer

portfolio
Adam Benton
Freelance CG Artist
kromekat digital media
United Kingdom

Send a message via ICQ to kromekat Send a message via Yahoo to kromekat
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepshade
Wish the UK had a download option. Got a copy of my invoice and called to check shipping date. Apparently as I hadn't renewed my MSA until late in the month I'm not even on the shipping list!

Might be the same for me then - I only renewed in August.
However, Macon ul said they were just waiting for more serials from Germany!
Either way, wasn't coming to me this week :/

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 09-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #26
ChrisCousins
Lance for Hire

portfolio
Chris Cousins
Lance For Hire
Brighton, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromekat
Might be the same for me then - I only renewed in August.
However, Maxon uk said they were just waiting for more serials from Germany!
Either way, wasn't coming to me this week :/

Same here - although oddly a colleague who upgraded shortly before me has had his for a couple of days now.

I was going to make some kind of joke about how archaic it seems to be sending bits of plastic around with software on it - and serials in the post! How quaint. It seemed odd last release - now it's just a bit embarrassing. Even Adobe are pushing ahead, the install of the latest Photoshop/AE was effortless, around 30 minutes from payment to launch.

Maybe next time...

Old 09-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #27
macripp
Black Hole

portfolio
Michael
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball101

DING DONG

Lucky you!
I'm still waiting... :-(

Old 09-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #28
c4d-jack
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Frank Willeke
Senior Developer
Berlin, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to c4d-jack Send a message via AIM to c4d-jack Send a message via Yahoo to c4d-jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriest
Got to admit, this time of year drives me nuts. Do my plugins work in R15? Which ones don't?

Except if the plugin developer did some fishy stuff, C++ plugins that ran in R13 and R14 will still work in R15. Python and COFFEE plugins also still work, except for encrypted Python plugins. Those simply have to be re-encrypted, because the encryption algorithm has changed in R15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dann_stubbs
i just HOPE they are REALLY TESTING TR with a realistic number of nodes and 1 to 5 is not realistic in a "team" render to me

We have made tests with a lot of machines, in both physical and virtual networks, and it worked just fine.

Last edited by c4d-jack : 09-07-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #29
basilisk
Lord of the posts

James Newman
Basilisk
Oxford, United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to basilisk Send a message via Yahoo to basilisk
I paid up for the r14 plus MSA (including r15) deal (currently on r13). So far I have a package waiting for me at the parcel depot - I assume that is r14 which I won't bother installing, and no sign of r15. I have to say the Adobe approach is a lot more streamlined (whether or not you agree with the licensing model)

Old 09-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #30
kromekat
Daydreamer

portfolio
Adam Benton
Freelance CG Artist
kromekat digital media
United Kingdom

Send a message via ICQ to kromekat Send a message via Yahoo to kromekat
The despatch and delivery of R15 seems very staggered and perhaps without proper preparation!? - cant believe its still about serial numbers being generated in Germany - how long does it take!?

Adam

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Thread Closed share thread