backlit liquid problem

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
backlit liquid problem

I'm up late fiddling with a whisky render, and I seem to be doing something wrong/dumb and can't figure it out. I have a liquid that I want to backlight, so I've stuck a light behind it, and set it to only include the liquid. I can only get the effect I want by setting the light to visible, but I don't want it to appear in the render. I've tried just about every setting I can think of including a compositing tag etc, but still can't stop the light from rendering. I can render out with an object buffer on the liquid and fix it in post, but is there a way to do it in C4D?

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Some pics or a scene file would go a long way. From your post alone I'm not sure what you want and what exactly isn't working, so I cannot begin to fathom a solution for you

Old 08 August 2013   #3
sure, will post pic shortly - my post was a bit garbled! Trying to give some liquid a graduated glow by placing a light behind the liquid, and it's not working unless I set the light to visible, but I don't want the actual light to be seen in the render, just the effect it has on the liquid. Is that clearer?

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Only way to create the same volumetric effect without seeing the light is to create a second liquid. set it to be ever so slightly smaller. An easy way is with the displace deformer with a white color shader set to -0.1 (this scales in by normals so any complex shape will scale properly.)

The create a fog material. DO NOT USE STANDARD MATERIAL WITH FOG TURNED ON. In the material manager go tocreate>shader>fog and apply it to your new liquid object. Set its color and turn on volumetric, and most likely set type to no decrease. apply this to your smaller liquid surface. Now you have a fog that reacts to a lightsource including shadows and falloff. samples will control the smoothness at a notable cost to performance.

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread