|08 August 2013||#1|
-, United Kingdom
Join Date: May 2009
Xrefs not updating
I have been having a nightmare with Xrefs and wondered if anyone knows of a solution. My situation:
1. Create a model, let's call it model A. It's a loudspeaker, with no animation and only some basic materials (no image textures).
2. Create a new scene...'scene B'.
3. Go: Create > Xref > Add Xref...
4. Select my model A.
5. In it comes....super. I move it into position. No scaling, no texture editing, no animation, nothing.
6. Open model A, modify it, then save it.
7. Go to 'scene B', do a Create > Xref > Reload Xrefs.
8. Nothing happens. My loudspeaker (model A) is still exactly the same as it was before I modified it.
I've tried this numerous times, including making the Xref a "generator", and also doing a Create > XRef > XRef and then adding the file in the Attributes window. The file size of the 'scene B' grows considerably, as Cinema 4D has obviously copied the model A into the scene, and is not actually referencing it at all. Basically it's done a "merge". Is there some way I can force C4D to behave as it should? Or are Xrefs just completely rubbish and designed to waste peoples' time and cause immense frustration?
I really need to have a bunch of these models, all the same, in different scenes and do not want to have to do a whole series of copying/pasting/merging if and when any changes happen to those source models. Unfortunately the project has gone too far for me to abandon it and switch to Maya, which handles referenced files exactly as you'd expect.
Any help or suggestions (or even just some sympathy!) would be GREATLY appreciated!
|08 August 2013||#2|
Join Date: Mar 2003
can reproduce ur problem here
maybe u got 2 files somehow, an u ar referncing the wrong one
donīt know, seems all fine here, r14 mac and pc
sorry that i cant help u, sound like a fail in ur system, maybe reinstall cinema
|08 August 2013||#3|
Join Date: Sep 2003
Thread automatically closed
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
|Thread Closed share thread|