HELP!—Sweep NURBS with dynamic controls over cross-section properties

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
HELP!—Sweep NURBS with dynamic controls over cross-section properties

Hey!

Long time lurker, first time poster with a bit of a problem on my hands that I'd like some advice on.

I have a Sweep NURBS object created with a spline and a trapezium. I use the built-in rangemappers to control the scale trapezium along the spline so that it is thin at the ends and thick in the middle. Simple enough.

Now, I want to control the a and b dimensions as well as the edge angle of the trapezium at different points along the spline in the same way that I adjust the thickness of the sweep on the fly.

I have a feeling this might be an xpresso problem involving connecting rangemapper nodes to change the values that are input into the sweepnurbs object at different points along the line, but the logic is lost on me.

If anybody out there has some suggestions as to how I might achieve dynamic controls over the properties of a cross section along a sweep, please let me know!

Thanks a million!
Alex

Old 08 August 2013   #2
c4ds sweep object does not support multiple profiles, c4d does also not grant access to
its nurbs objects construction process on the xpresso/python level. the most straight
forward solution for your problem would be cloning the profile spline and a loft object.
mograph can be quite handy for that task.

Old 08 August 2013   #3
re: Sweep NURBS with dynamic controls over cross-section properties

@arkhangelos,

would this be helpful?

http://www.curiousanimal.tv/blog/po...torig-tutorial/
http://www.curiousanimal.tv/blog/c4d-python-party-curves-and-spline-wraps/

it's mostly used with spline wraps, but may be helpful with sweeps if I understand your question correctly - pdeb

Last edited by pdeb : 08 August 2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: additional functionality explained

Old 08 August 2013   #4
As suggested, LoftNURBS is way to go. Keep in mind that these objects also work with Mograph's cloners in Blend mode and the spline profiles inside the cloner... Seems to me like that would be exactly what you need...

Mylenium

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread