Processor for the new Mac Pro only scores 17.63 on cinebench

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by ThePriest: If Mac is truly your first choice, one Darth machine is where I would stop. If expansion is key, it doesn't matter what's on your network, fill it up with PC's. A 24 core workstation probably won't cost a great deal more than a the new Mac.

Tbh Stuart, this has become my thinking - the only important part for me to retain as Mac OS is the front end, the workstation, since that is where i'm comfortable, and that is also where all my software is based.
I'm not sure I will be going down the new Mac Pro route unless the performance/price ratio makes any sense, but either way, with the existing 40 cores worth of Mac Pro's I already have, i'm more likely to add simple rendering nodes be they mini PC or Mac Mini, especially now i've seen how well Team Render operates in this regard.

Adam

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

09 September 2013
We don't know yet wich graphic cards will be in the 2013 MacPro do we?

09 September 2013
Judging by the "upto 7 teraflops of computing power" that is probably a pair of W8000 or W9000 FirePros.

cheers
brasc

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by kromekat: likely to add simple rendering nodes be they mini PC or Mac Mini,

Adam

I respect your appreciation for the simplicity of owning a Mac, but for me I wouldn't hesitate to go mini PC, for the cost savings alone.

I've been doing a lot of research on this lately, trying to figure if 6 quad cores are cheaper than 1 x 24 core. The thing is, they can be, if you go for cheaper components and just barebones systems. Personally I'd rather save space and have a couple of 24 core machines lying around vs 12 individual useless boxes. That way, if I'm on two or three jobs at once, I can bounce from one power horse to the next.

Last edited by ThePriest : 09 September 2013 at 02:46 PM.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by ThePriest: I respect your appreciation for the simplicity of owning a Mac, but for me I wouldn't hesitate to go mini PC, for the cost savings alone.

I've been doing a lot of research on this lately, trying to figure if 6 quad cores are cheaper than 1 x 24 core. The thing is, they can be, if you go for cheaper components and just barebones systems. Personally I'd rather save space and have a couple of 24 core machines lying around vs 12 individual useless boxes. That way, if I'm on two or three jobs at once, I can bounce from one power horse to the next.

Yea been doing similar and while the prices are always somewhat close, the one other thing is the massive multicore system also has the benefit of one power efficient powersupply compared to several. When these things are idle that single system is always going to be a lot less powerconsumption.

09 September 2013
also when choosing a render node with the massive multicore system also has benifits in that you have one system to license with an OS , if you plan to use deadline render management thats one of those licenses also, one system to administer also. its the way to go for sure.

09 September 2013
For those who might take a look at the Z820 pages - while the 10 & 12 core processors are listed as available very prominently in the advertising materials, they're not actually available at all.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by ThePriest: I respect your appreciation for the simplicity of owning a Mac, but for me I wouldn't hesitate to go mini PC, for the cost savings alone.

Coming from the Mac camp as I do, do you have suggestions on such a rendering workhorse? - I just dnt know where to start with a PC, and from my previous research, I found that most pre built/Mac Pro equivalent systems at the time, were hardly any different in price.

So, if anybody has some solid pointers for the purchase and construction of a rendering beast, id be most grateful!

To clarify, I don't need a workstation, I simply need a box that can house multiple CPUs, keep reasonably cool and be accessable via Team Render - only needs a very basic GFX card to run an LCD for administration.

I could get a CB of around 24+ from 4x i7 Mac Minis for roughly 3k, so I'm sure something with a similar speed in one box on the PC side could be achieved fairly easily and probably a LOT cheaper!?

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Last edited by kromekat : 09 September 2013 at 03:02 PM.

09 September 2013
With roughly a $5k/3k budget, you could settle for a pair of new 8 core cpu's in the 2.4ghz range. That would get you a cinebench score of between 20-22. Although if you're willing to deal with risk and private sellers, Ebay has great deals on processors. I've seen 8 core processors for less than 1/2 the market price, which would leave you with plenty of spare change.

$499 2.6ghz 8 Core

If you could score 2 of those puppies, you could quite easily have a 16 core rig for around $2.5k, which is crazy cheap. This is the road I'm hoping to go down in order to build an affordable at home farm with 100+ cores.

Memory is an issue with these small form factor computers too. I've seen some good deals, though the 16gb max memory on both PC and with the Mac Mini's is kind of discouraging. You could afford 64gb of ram in your server rig and not exceed your budget.

Those Mac Mini's are certainly intriguing and it eliminates the headache of researching and building your own rigs. But personally I prefer the hands on - save a ton of money approach.

Here's another new deal. $1300 for a single 12 core CPU. Ebay link
Where they even attached the Cinebench scores to tempt my wallet.

$2700 for 24 cores! Dayum! Two of those procs would easily hit 30 in CB.

In fact, I might just have to call my wife and ask her to consider letting me buy all 10.

Last edited by ThePriest : 09 September 2013 at 08:07 PM.

09 September 2013
Thanks for the info!

Do you intend to build this around a basic off the shelf box and motherboard, or some other custom configuration!?

Adam

Originally Posted by ThePriest: With roughly a $5k/3k budget, you could settle for a pair of new 8 core cpu's in the 2.4ghz range. That would get you a cinebench score of between 20-22. Although if you're willing to deal with risk and private sellers, Ebay has great deals on processors. I've seen 8 core processors for less than 1/2 the market price, which would leave you with plenty of spare change.

$499 2.6ghz 8 Core

If you could score 2 of those puppies, you could quite easily have a 16 core rig for around $2.5k, which is crazy cheap. This is the road I'm hoping to go down in order to build an affordable at home farm with 100+ cores.

Memory is an issue with these small form factor computers too. I've seen some good deals, though the 16gb max memory on both PC and with the Mac Mini's is kind of discouraging. You could afford 64gb of ram in your server rig and not exceed your budget.

Those Mac Mini's are certainly intriguing and it eliminates the headache of researching and building your own rigs. But personally I prefer the hands on - save a ton of money approach.

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

09 September 2013
Just let me add that there is already an engine that supports both CPU and GPU rendering:
m4d-iray:
www.m4d.info

it's unbiased, progressive and fast.

On the topic of render clients:

for CPU only rendering one sweet spot would be a configuration using an i7-3770, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, microATX mainboard (with onboard graphics), cheap hard disk (~320GB) and 450W power supply. With a basic pc case those parts'd cost you ~560.

One client would do ~7.9CB.

As an additional bonus you could add GPUs as soon as you decide you'd like to use a GPU render engine.

There's also the possibility (if you're into ikea hacking) of stacking 6 of those clients in a helmer cabinet that'd fit under your desk:

(credit for the photo goes to Neil Stubbings)

09 September 2013
That's great info - thanks!!

Originally Posted by Moedeldiho: Just let me add that there is already an engine that supports both CPU and GPU rendering:
m4d-iray:
www.m4d.info

it's unbiased, progressive and fast.

On the topic of render clients:

for CPU only rendering one sweet spot would be a configuration using an i7-3770, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, microATX mainboard (with onboard graphics), cheap hard disk (~320GB) and 450W power supply. With a basic pc case those parts'd cost you ~560.

One client would do ~7.9CB.

As an additional bonus you could add GPUs as soon as you decide you'd like to use a GPU render engine.

There's also the possibility (if you're into ikea hacking) of stacking 6 of those clients in a helmer cabinet that'd fit under your desk:

(credit for the photo goes to Neil Stubbings)

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

09 September 2013
Priest i cant view the 12 core link you posted and i am intrigued. can you post it again please ?

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by robotbob: Priest i cant view the 12 core link you posted and i am intrigued. can you post it again please ?

At only 2.4ghz, they're not processors I would chose for a workstation,
but based on these cheap prices, I could configure a 24 core machine for around $3500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-XEON-...=item25829fccf6
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-XEON-...=item25829fccf6

Here's the comparison on NewEgg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16819116926

09 September 2013
I've just ordered my first dual cpu workstation that's hopefully going to arrive next week.

2x 2650v2 (8C 2.6ghz. Turbo to 3.4ghz for single threaded stuff which isn't too bad)
64GB Ram
1050w corsair PSU
2 x 3GB GTX580's (only 175 each) for vray RT when it comes out.
couple of HDs and windows 8

4K bang on from scan.co.uk.

Gone into it slightly blind as there is just hardly any hands on reviews / cinebench on the 2650v2s but im hoping for about a 23CB ish as the v1 of the same clock did a good 22CB. Will keep you posted on that.

A big tipping point for me was the price reduction on these of about 340 each versus the 2670v1 (same 2.6ghz clock). Im coming from a 6 core 4.2 ghz 3930K thats about 12.5 CB from memory so im looking forward to that speed bump especially for test renders or quick region renders in the background whilst im in photoshop and leave myself a couple of cores to work with.

I know I can get more bang for my buck buying smaller nodes but as mentioned previously you need to keep everything updated and it sounds like chaos group is going to start charging for vray nodes (im a vray man) not to mention maxons mealsy 3 nodes with broadcast license. Also add to that network lag for large scenes and RAM limits on these cheaper boards. For me I dont want to be locked into 16GB on the micro atx clusters as your already at the limit. In fairness you can get 32GB shuttles in the SSF which should be a bit more futureproof. My 2 other hex core machines currently have 32gb but will take 64 although I suspect I will have to revert to stock speeds as I hear OCing your rig when the RAM is maxed out can be tricky to keep stable but that might have changed these days.

Ultimately I feel like I've got to a stage in my career where I really want a pro workstation as I am using it all day everyday and have all my other self builds as nodes. Even if its less cost effective, it should hopefully last me a few years and still be a good workhorse when I retire it!

Thread Closed share thread