Processor for the new Mac Pro only scores 17.63 on cinebench

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #16
This is the approach I went with, bought a day one 3930k and OC'd it, unfortunately it's not the best chip (requires a lot of Vcore) but it happily does 4.5Ghz 24/7 under water. Phase change is my next stop since Intel have no competition and seem to only be pushing more cores

Hopefully there will be a crossover soon when older software updates to more modern/alternative algorithms that utilise the newer hardware.

cheers
brasc

Old 08 August 2013   #17
Kai,

I bought a the SR-X motherboard for its massive array of features in the overclocking department, only to discover that the only Xeons that fit the socket have locked multipliers and cannot be overclocked manually. However the E5-2687W does have turbo boost, which will overclock a single core to 3.8ghz. If there's performances differences between this and my 6 core gaming machine, I don't notice them.

I test renders constantly throughout the production process, obviously this extra processing power allows me to test material and lighting changes with much less waiting time. It has, as I frequently over explain to my wife, made a world of difference. If the socket stays the same for this next generation of Xeons, I'll be upgrading at the earliest convenience. But also keeping an eye on per core performance, which I'm sure will improve.

Old 08 August 2013   #18
Originally Posted by ThePriest: Kai,

I bought a the SR-X motherboard for its massive array of features in the overclocking department, only to discover that the only Xeons that fit the socket have locked multipliers and cannot be overclocked manually. However the E5-2687W does have turbo boost, which will overclock a single core to 3.8ghz. If there's performances differences between this and my 6 core gaming machine, I don't notice them.

I test renders constantly throughout the production process, obviously this extra processing power allows me to test material and lighting changes with much less waiting time. It has, as I frequently over explain to my wife, made a world of difference. If the socket stays the same for this next generation of Xeons, I'll be upgrading at the earliest convenience. But also keeping an eye on per core performance, which I'm sure will improve.

I stopped geeking out over hardware a while ago, but I doubt we will see much progress on actually core speeds. It seems like that department has pretty much flat lined. :/ I mean the average chip is still 2.0-2.7gHz just more cores, and it seems to have been that way forever in a tech time span...seems like they are only making headway by shrinking the die, which means same speed, but more space for more cores OR less power consumption.

Old 08 August 2013   #19
I somewhat made that mistake too. Although theyre still i7's and although the clockspeeds remain much the same, each generation has been given a 10-15% speed bump. My new 2.7GHz laptop renders at the same speed as my 5 year old 3.8GHz desktop for example.

Old 08 August 2013   #20
I found the 4770K @ 4GHz to be surprisingly fast in single processing speed. So far the fastest editor feedback i ever encountered in C4D, it might even be faster if i weren't using a three years old GPU

Old 08 August 2013   #21
Originally Posted by imashination: I somewhat made that mistake too. Although theyre still i7's and although the clockspeeds remain much the same, each generation has been given a 10-15% speed bump. My new 2.7GHz laptop renders at the same speed as my 5 year old 3.8GHz desktop for example.

This is all do to work on the background architecture isn't it, rather than raw clock speeds?

Old 08 August 2013   #22
Yeah it's mainly architecture and clever instruction sets/kernels. Really want to see a stock, 5Ghz hexacore chip, probably not gonna happen for a while though.

cheers
brasc

Old 08 August 2013   #23
The fact that they're not squeezing more juice out of these cpus is entirely frustrating. ghz should have been steadily increasing with the core count. A 12 core with 4.0ghz out of the box would have been a superb offering, with 2 of them perhaps pushing into the lower 50's on cinebench. But with AMD out of the loop in the workstation market, there's no reason for them to push boundaries.

It's a socket 2011 cpu, which would fit my current config. However I'm not downgrading my experience in favor of higher core counts, as attractive as it seems to see 48 threads in Vray. Perhaps a year or two down the road, we'll see core counts pushing around 16 per cpu and some increases in per core performance. Until that happens, I'll happily stick with 16 cores.

I also think it's crap that there's not going to be a dual CPU offering for the MacPros. That just seems unfair to me, they're not taking their users seriously enough. It would have put them on an even playing field with the PC workstation market, matching us core for core and point for point in Cinebench. But instead you're stuck with a single CPU, fantasizing about how the performance could have been if Apple were still an innovative company.

Last edited by ThePriest : 08 August 2013 at 06:59 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #24
Sadly the PC market is shrinking rapidly as the unwashed masses ditch workstations and laptops in favor of tablets and smart phones. And for many of those who do still use PCs, existing processors are much more than adequate for the type of stuff they do (e-mail, spreadsheets, internet). I'm afraid there just isn't much incentive for Intel and AMD to invest in desktop processor R&D. Sucks for us.

Old 08 August 2013   #25
Originally Posted by AdamT: Sadly the PC market is shrinking rapidly as the unwashed masses ditch workstations and laptops in favor of tablets and smart phones. And for many of those who do still use PCs, existing processors are much more than adequate for the type of stuff they do (e-mail, spreadsheets, internet). I'm afraid there just isn't much incentive for Intel and AMD to invest in desktop processor R&D. Sucks for us.

I do not think that the majority actually ditches them, your second sentence describes it better: the PCs are neither speeding up nor innovating; for most uses they are just adequate, and people do not require better. So, they buy a tablet instead because that covers usecases that the PC don't. Doesn't mean that the good ol' PC goes out the window, but if you can squeeze three more years out of the model you already have, why not do it?

The power users are probably mostly gamers, with a sprinkle of professionals among them. What is, for the average Jane and Joe, the killer application that justifies a better PC? Video editing for the vacation shot? That leaves the pros standing in the rain, having to resort to their render clusters...

Old 08 August 2013   #26
So what software - that we actually use - can take advantage of the second ATI GPU? I can only think of Final Cut Pro X... perhaps Cycles in Blender? Are Vray RT or Mental Ray's Iray going to take advantage of an ATI GPU?

Old 08 August 2013   #27
Originally Posted by Venkman: So what software - that we actually use - can take advantage of the second ATI GPU? I can only think of Final Cut Pro X... perhaps Cycles in Blender? Are Vray RT or Mental Ray's Iray going to take advantage of an ATI GPU?

Adobe have partnered with AMD to bring better support in Prem, AE and PS. Vray RT uses both CUDA and OpenCL, Iray is CUDA only I believe. Basically, anything that runs OpenCL can probably use a second AMD card.

cheers
brasc

Old 08 August 2013   #28
no i dont think VRay RT ever figured out how to use openCL, i think they started writing for open CL, and tried really hard but couldn't get it to work, ditched the code and went cuda which did work and worked well. As far as i have read there is nothing stopping nvidia making cards for this macpro other than some motivation because of the crappy markup that apple will allow them to make. Perhaps the second macpro release will change this, but sadly until then i cant see much use for two AMD cards in my world. But in saying this i don't want to be overly negative at this stage - we don't yet know enough about what the final state of this machine will be like.

Last edited by studiolocal : 08 August 2013 at 04:33 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #29
I think much of the issue is that to Apple, the "Pro" users are strictly Aperture, Logic, Final Cut X users. Sure Adobe suite as well, but Apple and Adobe have butted heads enough that they probably don't think about them too often.

If they had asked ANYONE they would have said "Hey we really need CUDA."

Also, an option to trade one of the GPUs for another processor would have been awesome, but they're not thinking of people like us as their "Pro" users.

I'm sure it will be a fine machine and will likely work very well for a number of apps, we are just not part of their target ecosystem.

Old 08 August 2013   #30
Yeah, I didn't think that Open CL was used in much other than Apple products. FCPX is fast, but I don't really like anything else about it. I'm glad Adobe is working with AMD to improve things, but that's just another thing on the horizon to wait for. A lot of stuff coming "in the future".

Last edited by Venkman : 08 August 2013 at 06:28 AM.

Thread Closed share thread