(plugin) DEM Earth gets an intigrated Image downloader

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Tapaul, Slouch Corp, thanks for your answers, bought.

09 September 2013
One question I have is how good is the image data you get straight from DEM earth?

At which "zoom" does it compare to in google earth or similar (Bing etc..). Would it replace totally the need for something like Ultimate Map Downloader?

(not the sat dat which I know is 90m or 30m if you subscribe to the server).

09 September 2013
give me an area and ill show you the best you get with the built in servers

mike

09 September 2013
Idk, some place in France for instance. Pick Omaha beach for instance or Mont Blanc.

09 September 2013
>One question I have is how good is the image data you get straight from DEM earth?
OK. trying not to get too hot headed (as usual)

Allow me to clear this up. You dont 'get' any image data from DEM Earth, from me or from my server. You get a funky software which lets YOU download data ,from a multitude of OPEN SERVERS, which you can then use with "never seen before" comfort. With just one click, you can grab an image, from various layers.And it just fits and works.I invite you to show me another peice of software that does this magic, this well. I don't know of one, for any amount of money.

However, you can use ANY Image with DEM Earth, from ANY source, as long as the projection is right and you know its bounds, or you have a world file for it. You can go ahead and purchase extremely high quality images from commercial sources and they will cost you an absolute fortune. If you already have imagery, you can contract me to reproject it for you.

I beg you, please dont , judge the quality of the software by the quality of the images YOU can download , for free. Think of it like buying photoshop and wondering why the images you make are not very good. Would you ask adobe , before buying their software, if their software can do great images? The images are up to you! DEM Earth does EVERYTHING else.

>At which "zoom" does it compare to in google earth or similar (Bing etc..).
There are many image layers, and I am NOT responsible for any of them and unable to make any claims as to there quality or content,ect. I clearly can not make any comment on what UMD can or can not do.

regards
Paul Everett

09 September 2013
as paul said

inbuilt level 17 esri images of that beach looks like this

not bad and you can take it to PS so all win
Attached Images
File Type: jpg omahabeach2.jpg (68.3 KB, 164 views)

09 September 2013
Quote: OK. trying not to get too hot headed (as usual)

Quote: I invite you to show me another peice of software that does this magic, this well. I don't know of one, for any amount of money.

Where did I get offensive? Did I say anything derogatory regarding the plugin or it's ease of use? Defensive much don't you think?

I'm interested in the plugin, but have (legitimate) questions.

I understand exactly how this works, I'm just wondering what servers/resources it gets access too "right out of the box" and what zoom levels are supported "in one click" before having to resort to external software, more complicated worklows and commerical sat imagery.

In a nutshell I was wondering : Would I need only this or would it be wise to get an extra map downloader aside for higher res photography...

@ Slouch, thanks ! What the maximum zoom you can get to in Europe/US?

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by EricM: Idk, some place in France for instance. Pick Omaha beach for instance or Mont Blanc.

I'll take Mont Blanc. It was around five clicks ;-) This is using the 90m height data.

About the resolutions available; you just can't specify a single zoom level across Europe/US etc - the various sources and locations are covered in different ways. GoogleEarth has spoiled us into thinking that the world is arranged into nice neat maps, all nice and high res and ready for use, but it's not that homogenous or tidy.

While this is not a review exactly, this plugin should be absolutely your first resource for doing anything map-based. I had to set up a flyover of the Hawaiian islands a few weeks before this plugin came out, and getting the data and imagery together was a long, tedious task, three or four days of downloading and patching to get into a state where I could start thinking about camera animation. It really makes me appreciate what Paul has done to get this plugin working the way it has. I can easily see news & broadcast stations that don't use Cinema bringing it into their setups purely to get access to this level of output, with such little fuss.

Great.

09 September 2013
Also, DEM Earth generates a normal jpg texture. So, you can easily take this as basis for further manipulation in PS. If you happen to come across higher quality imagery, you could layer this on top of the base texture, using just the image as guide without knowing the exact coordinates. The texture tag parameters will still be managed automagically, so it sticks to the terrain.

09 September 2013
Hi all,
I recently purchased DEM earth and have to say it's a great undertaking by Paul.
Congratulations.

On the other hand, currently, I have no use for it, and merely got it to "play around" for when the opportunity for a project comes up, and I love real earth imagery.
Hence I didn't get the subscription.

I have read through the manual (not as diligently as I should have) but seem to be unable to get a usable map from any source. Also, I'm on Mac.
Has anybody the time to make a detailed tutorial as to how I can download various types of free data?

Mind you, when I get a project I will definitely get a sub to the server, as it makes it "dead" easy to work with image data.

Cheers

09 September 2013
Hey noseman - what happens when you press the 'Download Texture Layer' button, on the Map Loader tab?

09 September 2013
>but seem to be unable to get a usable map from any source. Also, I'm on Mac.
have you updated?
1.11 introduced the image loader.
1.2 opened that up for everyone, regardless of if you subscribe, or not.

edit:
Besides that, whats wrong with you just going to MapMart and buying any image YOU want?
Visit mapmart and just get a quote on an image (with a world file) and it will work instantly in DEM Earth. The problem is of course, short and simple, you won't want to pay for it.

Last edited by tapaul : 09 September 2013 at 12:36 PM.

09 September 2013
Great plugin, working just how we want, just got a couple of questions.

1) What is the scale of the DEM Earth mesh ?
Obviously, the 'Area Zoom' parameter is a multiplier of some base scale but what is it ?
I was able to get my model scaled anyway, because I knew the height of Everest's peak above sea level but where you don't have a particular Reference, it would be good to know what the default scale is.
It's useful to us because we want to 3D print at a particular scales like 1:6000

2) Do you have to switch between 30m & 90m data or is the higher res just used automatically if you have the server subscription ?

Noseman, try raising the 'level' parameter on the map loader - the default '11' is very low res. But be aware this parameter is exponential, by '16', you'll be downloading & stitching hundereds of maps, so maybe try '14' first.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by Decade: 2) Do you have to switch between 30m & 90m data or is the higher res just used automatically if you have the server subscription ?

I am curious about this too. There are times where the 90m data would be preferable (If I'm doing a large geographic area), the plugin seems to automatically go with with 30m data. Is there a way to control this?

It's an amazing plugin that works as advertised and keeps getting better.

09 September 2013
>Do you have to switch between 30m & 90m data or is the higher res just used automatically if you have the server subscription ?

Please read this solution..

I can add a switch if I see a feature request on the uservoice with a few votes.

regards
Paul (calmed down now)

Last edited by tapaul : 09 September 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Thread Closed share thread