Petition to get MSA memebrs access to late stage Betas

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #31
Originally Posted by Horganovski: All my drivers are up to data and I'm not using anything unusual in terms of GFX card (NVidia 580GTX on Win 7) so I'm not sure it's that.

Re Maya, well if you are working with Maya 2011 then I would agree, that was really buggy for me, but 2012 and 2013 have been very solid here, at least for animation/rigging tasks (once you start using Mental Ray it's a different story, heh). I've spent hours upon hours animating in Maya 2013.5 in the last few months and have had practically no crashes with it.

Cheers,
Brian

In general the only time CINEMA crashes for me it is related directly to my graphics card and driver issues AND the only time I don't get a bug report message is in the case of an OGL crash or a force quit.

I had a span of time where I had crashes every 5 min, it was a driver update that fixed it...not maxon :/

Either way, individual experience varies
Bret uses Maya everyday too...and his experience is crashy.
I use Cinema on a laptop and desktop...the laptop is not that crashy...the desktop is.
Sometimes they flip (depending on how Nvidia handles a driver update)

Old 08 August 2013   #32
The weird thing with my 'crashes' in R14 is that I often don't even get a hang or crash warning, Cinema will literally just close, gone, without warning. I had that happen half a dozen times during an afternoon on one project recently. All I was doing was animating some low poly characters, all native rigs, no textures in the view even (the characters were extremely stylized).

Cheers,
Brian

Old 08 August 2013   #33
Originally Posted by Regnas: Blender Foundation tests his software with the "world", and they handle this just fine...

It's open source, so the whole thing is practically a beta. It's a great open source software no doubt, but the usability of the thing still needs a LOT of fixing.

Old 08 August 2013   #34
Originally Posted by Horganovski: The weird thing with my 'crashes' in R14 is that I often don't even get a hang or crash warning, Cinema will literally just close, gone, without warning. I had that happen half a dozen times during an afternoon on one project recently. All I was doing was animating some low poly characters, all native rigs, no textures in the view even (the characters were extremely stylized).

Cheers,
Brian

In that case either you're hardware doesn't run reliable (happens sometimes with overclocked hw or when cooling of cpu or gpu isn't sufficient, or when the power supply can't handle the max. requests) or a driver is crashing (most likely the gfx card driver).

Best regards,

wbj

Last edited by wbj : 08 August 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #35
Thanks, I guess it must be driver related somehow then as the computer is running at stock speeds, temperatures are stable and I run pretty intensive projects in Maya/ZBrush/After Effects etc much of the time and don't see any stability issues with any of those, just Cinema.

I sometimes wonder is C4D not 'SSD friendly', I notice that since I switched my OS drive to SSD Cinema will also crash sometimes simply when I try to use the Save dialogue. Maybe that's unfounded and there's no causality, it just seemed to start around the same time, possibly coincidence. Heh, life would be boring if all of these tools just worked I guess

I will say also (going back to Patricks comment about Bret and Maya) that the first release of Maya 2014 was pretty wobbly here too, but since the 1st (and 2nd) service packs it's been fine again. The only time I get it to crash sometimes are during importing reference operations so I've learned to save the project each time before I do that now. Regarding older Maya, I've done a bunch of pipeline work for a game developer recently and found Maya 2012 to be rock solid with a lot of (scripted) file import/export operations and animation baking.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 08 August 2013   #36
Originally Posted by Horganovski: [...]

I sometimes wonder is C4D not 'SSD friendly', I notice that since I switched my OS drive to SSD Cinema will also crash sometimes simply when I try to use the Save dialogue. Maybe that's unfounded and there's no causality, it just seemed to start around the same time, possibly coincidence. Heh, life would be boring if all of these tools just worked I guess
[...]

It doesn't care if you use a SSD or not (as long as the hardware works reliable).

- Check that you've installed the latest firmware updates for your SSD.
- Check if you've installed 3rd party OS extension or drivers that integrate into the Windows file selector. I've seen several cases where that triggered crashes in Microsoft's code of the file selector (network extensions, Google drive sync or AV software - e.g. McAfee, etc.).

Best regards,

wbj

Old 08 August 2013   #37
Thanks, will do.

Regards,
Brian

Old 08 August 2013   #38
I'll reiterate the SSD firmware, easily the worst issue with SSD's since they are typically your os disk is that they are very picky with their firmware. Constant one of my friends had constant BSOD's that magically went away when he updated his SSD firmware. For me it was simply explored constantly freezing/crashing on my older system after I did a new windows installation with an SSD.

It's definitely something hardware related, I started having strange crashes with C4D, nuke,premiere and AE and thought it might be too high heat from pverlockig although my temps were nothing compared to online and eventually discovered that one of my Simms must have gone bad from high voltage when I was doing OC tests.

As many softwares now have some sort of safety backup feature if they aren't dong it frequently the. That is a good sign something is killing your software before it has the chance to save.

Old 08 August 2013   #39
Interesting, thanks. It's weird though, Cinema is the only program on the machine where I've seen any unusual behavior and I've certainly never had any BSOD on it. So in a way I'm tempted to leave it as is for the moment as I don't know what else might break if I do start tinkering. I'm also pretty busy at the moment so can't really afford any downtime.

I do have a (probably healthy) suspicion about the general reliability of SSDs though so once every 6 months or so I make a mirror of the entire OS drive to a mechanical drive (I keep a few spares and rotate them) in case of emergencies. So next time I have some quieter days I might try updating the firmware after doing a fresh backup so I know it won't cost me too much time if it goes pear shaped.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 08 August 2013   #40
I clone my SSD to an external HDD once a week!

Originally Posted by Horganovski: I do have a (probably healthy) suspicion about the general reliability of SSDs though so once every 6 months or so I make a mirror of the entire OS drive to a mechanical drive (I keep a few spares and rotate them) in case of emergencies.

Old 08 August 2013   #41
Once a week? Wow, do you install new programs that often? (I keep all my files on separate drives and make duplicates to another computer at the end of each working day so really the SSD is only for the OS/Programs in my case). I do occasionally save quick stuff to my desktop but that's about it generally.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 08 August 2013   #42
Guess I'm paranoid about SSD failure.

I do keep live projects on my SSD, so make full use of the speed boost from faster access speed.

Originally Posted by Horganovski: Once a week? Wow, do you install new programs that often? (I keep all my files on separate drives and make duplicates to another computer at the end of each working day so really the SSD is only for the OS/Programs in my case). I do occasionally save quick stuff to my desktop but that's about it generally.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 08 August 2013   #43
Ah, sure, if I had project files on one I'd definitely be backing up more often.

I don't think you're paranoid though - I had an OCZ drive crap out on me a couple of years back, just died and I couldn't even format it to reuse it for something. I've used Crucials since and no issues (touch wood!)

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 08 August 2013 at 04:03 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #44
Here's an interesting article which translates real nice via google.
Ans yes... SSD is not the golden grail. Specially the large increase of storage which reduces the size of the ssd memory cells does not make them more reliable. The smaller the cell the quicker it's dead.

http://darkstone.tweakblogs.net/blo...resultaten.html

Old 08 August 2013   #45
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread