Sketch and Toon question.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Sketch and Toon question.

Hello,

I would like to ask, if it is possible to set some SaT material parameter in order not to draw lines between two separate objects with the same material. See attachement. I tried to find it out, but wasn´t succesful. It would be really helpful by architecture scenes with many objects, where I need to draw a line only between objects with different materials, intersecting objects or objects with different "angle".

Thank you very much in advance.

Jiri
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SaT_question.jpg (46.2 KB, 49 views)

08 August 2013
It's possible to control selected edges rendering with sketch style tags.

You'll have to do it by hand though.

Don't know if that helps

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by EricM: It's possible to control selected edges rendering with sketch style tags.

You'll have to do it by hand though.

Don't know if that helps

Thank you. That is, what I was afraid of - doing it by hand is possible by a small scene with couple of object, but by a bigger scene is it almost impossible or at least too time consuming (especially for a still image).
I hope there might be some workaround. But "Connect objects" or "Boolean" also doesn´t work.

Jiri

08 August 2013
Group the pieces you would like to render as a single unit in a Null object, then in the S&T render prefs, enable the Outline mode on the Lines tab, and set the outline Culling option to Hierarchy (self-culling enabled).

So basically, anything that in the same hierarchy will be considered one object by S&T. The objects can overlap, touch each other or not touch each other at all and still be rendered with the same global outline.

08 August 2013
Thank you. But that will give me unfortunately only the outline.

I attached another example I deal with basically always I work with SaT. There is a wall and partitions, connecting each other (different objects all of them). But I do not need a line to be drawn between them, when the surfaces are on the same level and the objects have the same material.

In the attached example it doesn´t work even if I connect the objects together. I have to cut the "Wall" and "optimise" the points. Only after that will the scene look properly.

I think VRay for max had some toon shader (when I worked with it 7 years ago), which drawn exactly the lines everybody needs for the architectural work (= in reality visible edges).

Jiri
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SaT_02.jpg (54.9 KB, 41 views)

08 August 2013
boolean them is about the only automated way when they are separate objects. Outline won't draw those but it also won't give you any edges, just outlines so I don't think that is what you want either.

You could try using strokes and then filtering to filter out those segments but I don't think the stroke generation would favor paths that would allow those specifically to filter out.

08 August 2013
Yeah unfortunately, I'm not aware of a solution to exclude these edges. You'll have to do it by hand (through selections), or model/edit your walls so they are connected.

08 August 2013
Put them into the connect object and crank up the weld tolerance radius. Should work.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by LucentDreams: You could try using strokes and then filtering to filter out those segments but I don't think the stroke generation would favor paths that would allow those specifically to filter out.

Thanks - I tried this out, but it didn´t work properly. My dream was to have something like Render settings->SaT->Lines and then some hidden setting in eg. "Angle" parametr.

Originally Posted by fluffouille: Yeah unfortunately, I'm not aware of a solution to exclude these edges.

So the best solution is (unfortunately) to have a perfect model. This is quite challenging especially if you imort architectural model from some other application made by somebody else.
But at least good to know, there is no easy solution in C4D.

Originally Posted by xdennisx: Put them into the connect object and crank up the weld tolerance radius. Should work.

Unfortunately this doesn´t work - all the objects must have points within this radius - which means you have to cut the edges of the bigger object in the place it touches the smaler object (in the posted case).

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread