Distributing particle array within mesh

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Distributing particle array within mesh

Hi, is there any way to distribute particles evenly within a given mesh for creating voxel effects?

I know there are several scripts and plugins that create voxels, but I need to find a way to do the same with just particles, so I can transform and animate them like regular particles. All previous plugins only seem to do plain physics simulations, which is both slow and lack certain effects particles do.

I know there is a Thinking Particles preset called VolumeEmitter, but it fills meshes randomly which is not what I want.

My intention is to create more elaborate voxel morphing effects, where one voxel structure will travel along a spline and morph into another object. I believe one can cheat and use two particle system during the actual transition between the shapes.

Thanks for any help

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Afaik MoGraph has a volume effector or similar. And of course Effex can generate particles inside any closed mesh as well (see sig).

Old 08 August 2013   #3
Are you realy sure you want to use a regular distribution?
Usually a regular setup is much more prone to showing artifacts and regular structures at rendertime. Random distribution in the voulme prevents this.
Why do you need it to be regular?

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Originally Posted by Katachi: Afaik MoGraph has a volume effector or similar.

Yeah, but can it distribute particles the way I want?
To be more precise, I would like to fill a particular shape with evenly distributed voxels, and then let them some kind of event where they follow a spline and might be influenced by some effector for randomness.

Originally Posted by Katachi: And of course Effex can generate particles inside any closed mesh as well (see sig).

I rather not base my pipeline on a plugin but your plugin sure looks handy, I'll download the demo and check it out. Would you say it can help me out with the things I want to achieve?

Originally Posted by Srek: Are you realy sure you want to use a regular distribution?
Usually a regular setup is much more prone to showing artifacts and regular structures at rendertime. Random distribution in the voulme prevents this.
Why do you need it to be regular?

It actually serves a purpose, we wish to give the result a "structured" look, and points randomly distributed within a volume gives us an undesired chaotic look that does not serve this purpose. But I get your point about render artifacts.

Last edited by Swahn : 08 August 2013 at 02:13 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #5
You can distribute clones evenly via a cloner in grid mode and use a closed mesh to "kill" clones outside of this mesh by using a volume effector and switch on the visibility checkbox. Take a lot at the file attached. Remember that C4D becomes very slow with a lot of clones. So a real voxel plugin might be the better option.

Old 08 August 2013   #6
Sorry, forgot the link to the Vogygen plugin:
http://cinemaplugins.com/c4d-plugins/voxygen/

Old 08 August 2013   #7
Okay, to make things clear, I don't want to make static voxel models.

I seek to create a particle system, arranged like voxels, which I then can transform using things like splines and particle effectors.

Once I can do that I'll just apply a primitive box or something as the shape for all the particles.

So, the initial state of the particle system should be evenly three-dimensionally distributed particles within a given mesh.

I hope I've explained myself properly.

Old 08 August 2013   #8
use voxygen to coenvert your mesh into a grid and then place your particles on that "voxel"-grid.
hope this helps.
fuat

Old 08 August 2013   #9
Well, you can do all of that with either the mograph way (even generate TP via matrix if you like) or with voxygen (has a mograph connection > TP if you like). Have fun!

Old 08 August 2013   #10
Thanks for the input guys! Now I know where I can find possible solutions!

Old 08 August 2013   #11
You can also do it quite easily in X-Particles:

http://www.3danvil.com/temp/voxel2spline.mov

Old 08 August 2013   #12
Originally Posted by xdennisx: Well, you can do all of that with either the mograph way (even generate TP via matrix if you like)

Generating Thinking Particles with the Matrix object works like a charm! Didn't know about this actually.

So, next step is to delete particles outside the reference mesh, and then "freeze" those particles as an initial state (if that saves memory and CPU). After that I should be able to start manipulating my voxels as desired.

I'll check more into this tomorrow, but if someone knows a simple way to do it and care to explain I'll be more than grateful!

Old 08 August 2013   #13
Originally Posted by Swahn: Generating Thinking Particles with the Matrix object works like a charm! Didn't know about this actually.

So, next step is to delete particles outside the reference mesh, and then "freeze" those particles as an initial state (if that saves memory and CPU). After that I should be able to start manipulating my voxels as desired.

I'll check more into this tomorrow, but if someone knows a simple way to do it and care to explain I'll be more than grateful!

Set it up like the Mograph_Voxel scene posted above, but using a Matrix object instead of the cloner, and the Matrix set to generate TP. Then all you have to do is set the Matrix's Particle Priority to "After Effectors".

Old 08 August 2013   #14
Okay, so I have managed to create a Matrix, set it to produce thinking particles, influence them by various effectors and TP presets, but I cannot get the thing to show up in render...

I have created both PShape and PSize nodes, together with a Particle Geometry object and assigned corresponding ParticleGroups, but it won't render... Obviously I'm missing something.

Edit: Okay just read in the manual:
"Create a Cloner , set its Mode to Object and drag the Matrix Object from the Object Manager into the Object field. The Cloner’s child objects will now be arranged onto individual matrix positions."

This works pretty well. But again, if I want to control shapes through Thinking Particles alone, it must be possible no?

Last edited by Swahn : 08 August 2013 at 09:00 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #15
to check the scaoling/size of your TP, set the view type to "box" in the TP settings.
maybe?

did you assign a material to your TP geo?

dont know, hard to tell without a scene.
fuat

Thread Closed share thread